When is the ball out?

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Guys,
My club have decided to have a small groupie of competent TJ's for the coming season. As an ex-referee I have been asked by the club to offer advice as to when the ball is out (over the touchline). I seem to remember a document from, I think Australia, that covered this does anyone have any ideas of where I could find this?
Many thanks.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I remember the document you refer to....not sure if it current!

Good luck getting 'competent' TJs....

Touch laws in my opinion are among the most difficult to understand and implement!
If you can get volunteers that are competent and capable to act as TJs then they should be well worth following up to become referees!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It’s out of date. The other reference is the law book. !!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Law book.....is that out of date?

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Get the World Rugby laws app - touch laws have changed quite significantly recently.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
D&W society iused to run club TJ courses - I did one years ago. maybe your society does similar?

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ball is in touch if it hit the ground, anything outside the field of play, spectator/man walking a dog (or the dog)/fence/wall etc. Or is caught by a player with one or more foot/feet on or beyond the touch-line. Here's where is starts getting funny though.

Blue Player catches ball - ball has crossed the touch-line but not hit anything - both players feet are in the Field of Play. Ball not in touch play on.

Blue Player catches ball - ball has crossed the touch-line but not hit anything - player is standing with one foot on the Field of Play and one on or beyond the touch line. Ball is in touch. LO to the Blue team as the ball was caught beyond the touch-line.

Blue Player catches ball - ball has not crossed the touch-line - player is standing with one foot on the Field of Play and one on or beyond the touch line. Ball is in touch. LO to the red team as the ball was caught and made in-touch by Blue.

Ball kicked - Blue player jumps from the field of play taps the ball backwards back into the Field of Play - Play on.

Id suggest to refer to the World Rugby website or app.

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
In my last 2 games in penalty (kicking for touch) scenario I've had players run into touch and attempt to knock the ball -- which has crossed the plane of touch -- back into play by jumping up so that they aren't in contact with the ground when they hit the ball (they subsequently land pretty much where they started, i.e. in touch).

Neither time has it worked (the hit isn't accurate enough and the ball lands in touch) but is illegitimate anyway. But since players are trying it, it's worth knowing about.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
why is it illegitimate?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had it as well, players watched the RWC but dont fully understand all the nuances and permutations in the Law ... And neither does the TJ !

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
with both the ball and the player outside the plane, he would have to catch it, and land inside

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
oh - gotcha - yes, I knew that. I was querying "illegitimate". its a legitimate action, but it wont get the result the player was hoping for :)

nuances eh? *tsk*

LOL

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
why is it illegitimate?

didds

or the law about not entering the playing area without the referee's permission thing?

I once saw a German ref PK a receiver at the game start kick off fro starting outside touch and running forward in-field towards the ball to catch it mind....

didds

msf..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Law specifically allows players in touch to take part in play . Knocking balls, .. scoring a try even

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Guys,
My club have decided to have a small groupie of competent TJ's for the coming season. As an ex-referee I have been asked by the club to offer advice as to when the ball is out (over the touchline). I seem to remember a document from, I think Australia, that covered this does anyone have any ideas of where I could find this?
Many thanks.

I would suggest that Law 18 tells you just about everything you need. It's one of the things in the current law book I find clear. All you need to do is add some real life examples for your students.

[LAWS]1. The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when :
a. The ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything
beyond.
b. A player, who is already touching the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything
beyond, catches or holds the ball.
i. If the ball has reached the plane of touch when it is caught, the catcher is
not deemed to have taken the ball into touch.
ii. If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up,
the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of
whether the ball was in motion or stationary.

2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if :
a. The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player
who is in the playing area.
b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and
then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of
touch.
c. A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball
back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of
whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
d. A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it
has not reached the plane of touch.[/LAWS]

Then add a bit about quick throws (when allowed), and go through the table in the laws about location of the mark and who throws in. Pages 81-84

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this confuses me a bit:

[LAWS]2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if :
a. The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player
who is in the playing area.[/LAWS]

a player leans over touchline and knocks the ball (ie ball not in touch). Ball then falls to ground (ie ball in touch). Who put it there?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At the point it's touched it's not in touch, so go back to the beginning of the process when it hits the deck, now that it is in touch, put there by the player who touched it last - or am I missing a nuance?