When is the ball out?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At the point it's touched it's not in touch, so go back to the beginning of the process when it hits the deck, now that it is in touch, put there by the player who touched it last - or am I missing a nuance?

but:

[LAWS]If the ball has reached the plane of touch when it is caught, the catcher is not deemed to have taken the ball into touch.[/LAWS]

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But he didn't catch it, so we have a scenario where a player (not in touch) touches the ball (not in touch) and then it ends up in touch. If he had caught it then play on

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
OK, so going back to post #9.
The Law book seems to be saying that as long as the player who is in touch doesn't catch the ball, he/she is permitted to play the ball back onto the field of play. So it may be irrelavent if they jump or remain on the ground. So in the scenarios that the WoodyOne had, if they were able to knock the ball back into play, we should have a live ball play on scenario. Unless either a) I'm missing something or b) The Law Book is wrong :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Law book seems to be saying that as long as the player who is in touch doesn't catch the ball, he/she is permitted to play the ball back onto the field of play. So it may be irrelavent if they jump or remain on the ground. So in the scenarios that the WoodyOne had, if they were able to knock the ball back into play, we should have a live ball play on scenario. Unless either a) I'm missing something or b) The Law Book is wrong :chin:

If you are in touch you can only knock a ball that hasn't passed the plane

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
But he didn't catch it, so we have a scenario where a player (not in touch) touches the ball (not in touch) and then it ends up in touch. If he had caught it then play on

I agree if he caught it it is play on, but if he did not catch it I htink you are back to looking at whether it made it to the plane of touch before he played it. If so, then he did not take it out (like a catcher) but if not, then obviously he put it out as he played it before it crossed the plane of touch.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ah yes, I missed that part. Must've got distracted by a pesky customer hehe.

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

take a look at 18.2 a-d. Player starts in touch, finishes in touch, and hits the ball that is already over the plane of touch. That scenarios isn't covered in 18.2 a-d, therefore the ball is in touch even if they knock it back into the field of play.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So glad I‘m almost never in a position to see, let alone make a judgement on these small margins!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
So glad I‘m almost never in a position to see, let alone make a judgement on these small margins!

If you always ref with a TO3, then lucky you! If not, then you might have to consider sprint training :eek:)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you always ref with a TO3, then lucky you! If not, then you might have to consider sprint training :eek:)

Nah, I’m mostly in the middle, at the wrong angle with players as TJ’s (sometimes facing the right way), very rare I have to consider the plane of touch at all.