Where are you this weekend - 2021/22?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Operation was delayed. I go in today the op is tomorrow. Saturday night I'll be watch my club's game on video to analyse the ref.
hope it goes well Marc, and doesn't get delayed again.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just had this WhatsApp message regarding my game tomorrow.

Hi Phil, it’s Danny Carlin here from Barton Under Needwood rugby club. I believe you are the referee tomorrow for our game against Aston old edwardians. I will be welcoming you to the club, you will have a parking spot right at the top of the car park next to the changing rooms it will be reserved.

Just a quick question what time will you be arriving at? So I can greet you. Would you like a tea or coffee on arrival?

Cheers and see you tomorrow Danny

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
nice. that's the sort of thing i tried to do with my short-lived (yet award winning, i don't know if i've ever mentioned that :D) club referee association a few years back, to try and make the club as welcoming as possible for incoming refs. good to hear that things like this are appreciated, and that there are clubs out there that still do this.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Have fun. Both grounds great, both lovely friendly clubs, though Henly gets my vote when it comes to after match food, I’ve never had better
Henley were very welcoming, from the moment I drove into the car park, through the match (21-24) and afterwards. Abbey rather less organised, and only one set of showers, which the ladies used!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Genuine question. How did they know they were contacting the correct person in WhatsApp? Do they have your phone number? Is that publicly given so clubs can contact referees? ( we don't tend to give out personal phone numbers in these parts...opens to door for unsolicited cold contact when not wanted).

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Genuine question. How did they know they were contacting the correct person in WhatsApp? Do they have your phone number? Is that publicly given so clubs can contact referees? ( we don't tend to give out personal phone numbers in these parts...opens to door for unsolicited cold contact when not wanted).
Berkshire do, when you get your WTR notification you get the club contact. Likewise, they get an email confirming you as ref, which your contact details. Clubs are encouraged to call the ref to confirm, but some do message or email.

never had any adverse calls from clubs though, had a few call when desperate when they lose their ref asking could I help them, but that’s all

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If only you could trust the WTR contacts! My Saturday game has an email contact only (I know that's the wrong person so had a test convo with the correct one), my Sunday game has two contacts, of which at least one is wrong ?‍♂️

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
WTR works well for me.
It is up to the club to contact the ref and phone to confirm the game however I'm happy with a text/message from trusted contacts.
Last time I wasn't contacted by Friday, I put it on the club's facebook page.
Needless to say there had been a cock up by the club who were most apologetic.
I would always plan for the game being on once the WTR fixture has been made however will always check when I haven't been formally contacted. Who knows what's happening in the formal contact's life for them to forget.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If only you could trust the WTR contacts! My Saturday game has an email contact only (I know that's the wrong person so had a test convo with the correct one), my Sunday game has two contacts, of which at least one is wrong ?‍♂️
i find it pretty reliable, actually. Probably because an outgoing contact quickly gets irritated by incoming calls, and gets it fixed :)

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Still have not heard from club for Saturday, I’m the same I give till Friday then I make contact myself.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So game on, got Buckingham II vs Chipping Norton II Saturday.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Doing my customary quick research for my game tomorrow I find I have 1st v 2nd in their league, the winner quite likely to finish champions, and the reverse fixture earlier in the season won by a last minute conversion.

I reckon I will need to be on my toes!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Off to the seaside this weekend.

Yorkshire 1 L7

Bridlington v Bradford Salem

4th v Bottom.

Who knows? Done Brid 2x this season and BS once. Brid won theirs and Salem lost (heavily).