This Weekend

Yorkshire 1 - L7

Dinnington v West Leeds

6th v 5th

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Semi final in advance of the Grand Final next weekend.

Including the team I did last week, who took two red cards.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
St Benedicts V Anselmians, North West 2 L7. Should be a good game. Nice little train ride up and a few beers to watch England v Ireland afterwards then decide who I'm going to support?☘️

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hungover after a stag do, watching 6 nations and grumbling at the officials ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm Match Day Manager (aka Match Commissioner) for the Super W match between Rebels & Brumbies

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Semi final in advance of the Grand Final next weekend.

Including the team I did last week, who took two red cards.
Red card over turned at hearing as player's head did not snap when contacted by a shoulder, while standing upright.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Drinking beer with my Irish Mates for an early St Pats day, playing Gaelic football and then more beer to celebrate the last year of my thirties.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Red card over turned at hearing as player's head did not snap when contacted by a shoulder, while standing upright.
That would nearly make me tell the referees union to find a new referee - I wonder what RA would say about it. Judiciary committees are rubbish, most seem to forget what it was like to play and get a cheap shot to the back of the head or nearly have it ripped off by some Neanderthal.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That would nearly make me tell the referees union to find a new referee - I wonder what RA would say about it. Judiciary committees are rubbish, most seem to forget what it was like to play and get a cheap shot to the back of the head or nearly have it ripped off by some Neanderthal.
I understand that words have been exchanged between the refs and the appropriate bodies.

I was asked - at 0930 on Thursday - to be avilable for a call at 6.30pm for the discipline. I said 6.45, and OK. Check ed at 6.37 to see what number the call would come from so it wouldn't get diverted, and was told the number.

Was I called? Was I hell.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In my view, once the ref has shown a card and written his/her report, he/she should have no further involvement in the process

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In my view, once the ref has shown a card and written his/her report, he/she should have no further involvement in the process
Not realistic, I'm afraid. The referee is a key witness and, the accused must surely be allowed to challenge him. However in my limited experience of disciplinary hearings, they usually accept the referee's report.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not realistic, I'm afraid. The referee is a key witness and, the accused must surely be allowed to challenge him. However in my limited experience of disciplinary hearings, they usually accept the referee's report.
in my part of the world and after 30 years of refereeing I've never heard of a ref being personally challenged at the hearing. By the same token, refs don't take a personal interest in the outcome of hearings.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Regulation 17 makes it clear that Disciplinary Hearings are non-adversarial and there is no right to cross examination

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This Weekend

Yorkshire 1 - L7 (again)

Roundhegians (Leeds) v Selby

10th v 5th

Postponed game from January which I should've done.

3rd time for me doing Roundhegians this season and assuming it all goes ahead, doing Selby for the first time will mean I have done 13 out of the 14 teams in Y1.

I am being looked at with a view to doing a L6 game before the end of the season. Not that I am hell bent on refereeing at L6 but I am leaning towards ARing more often and L6 will allow me to be AR1 in N2N or AR2 in N1 - so more potential appointments.

The restructure of the leagues in 2022/23 will (apparently) see a greater demand for ARs so there'll be plenty to do although it appears to be coming at a time of reducing referee numbers! We'll see how it pans out but I'll be 60 next season and I can't go on for ever.

Wish me luck! :)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First assignment of the season, and by far the shortest drive I'll ever have

SLU HS (St. Louis) vs Notre Dame de la Salette (Olivet/Georgetown) - A side followed by F/S

Match is taking place in Springfield, about 2mi from my house, so no having to get up before sunrise :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last weekend I had a Police game Thursday night, U16s Friday night and Senior County Cup Final Saturday.

This weekend I have a Royal Navy game Friday night and an Inter Services game on Saturday, both down in Gloucester.

Chuck in an RFU L5 roadshow Tuesday evening and a Society Sponsorship meeting on Wednesday; and the result is the good lady isn't seeing much of me at the moment!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
First assignment of the season, and by far the shortest drive I'll ever have

SLU HS (St. Louis) vs Notre Dame de la Salette (Olivet/Georgetown) - A side followed by F/S

Match is taking place in Springfield, about 2mi from my house, so no having to get up before sunrise :)
I have one club I walk to, four I can cycle to in 10 mins, and probably another ten where cycling is quicker than driving :)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have one club I walk to, four I can cycle to in 10 mins, and probably another ten where cycling is quicker than driving :)

What I would give to be able to walk/bike to a match. Within my society, "local" for me is 60-120mi, since that still puts me closer than 90% of referees in the society.

I still get drawn way up north on occasion, depending on the schedule.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What I would give to be able to walk/bike to a match. Within my society, "local" for me is 60-120mi, since that still puts me closer than 90% of referees in the society.

I still get drawn way up north on occasion, depending on the schedule.
This Saturday I have to travel 6.5 miles .. 10km
In London this means 25mins in the car ... Or about the same on my bike

If I go on my bike the most direct route I will cycle right past four other rugby clubs, on my way.

Happy days

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This Saturday I have to travel 6.5 miles .. 10km
In London this means 25mins in the car ... Or about the same on my bike

If I go on my bike the most direct route I will cycle right past four other rugby clubs, on my way.

Happy days

When I am driving to a match, most of my driving is interstate highway, surrounded by boring nothingness (corn and wind farms don't count).

Usually I am spared the agonizing pain of having to drive into Chicago proper, as there are a litany of others who can bike to matches.