Where are you this weekend - 2021/22?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Delft this weekend, an assessment as I ref the ladies top division. And the week after, another assessment in Hilversum...

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Keswick v Winnington Park, North West 2 L 7. 3rd v 4th , Neither can win the league but I've reffed both this year, two good teams so should be a cracking game.
Not too far this week just 100 mile round trip! which will cost as I can't get the train.
Damn you Dr Beeching!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Big Ten (D1A college) 7s this weekend in Champaign. A number of old boys are coming in to cheer on the orange and blue, so it should be a fun time on top of some good rugby.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend back in Yorkshire 1 - L7

Old Rishworthian (Halifax) v Middlesbrough

8th v 1st

Top 4 get promoted as part of league reorganisation.

BikerRef

Referees in America
Post Likes
Due to massive ref shortages in the NYC area? Pelham v Albany HS Boys on Friday evening, then Danbury v Albany Club Women on Saturday, then 6 matches at a 7’s tournament on Sunday. Ugh.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Oops, I’ve messed up. Still recovering from an effing lung infection and saw a call saying ”need a ref for 0900 for a high school game in Fairfield CT“ so thought give it a shot and ease myself back in.
Wrong - HS tournament - 9 to 4. Still, multiple 30 min games taking turns on touch and in the middle with a couple of experienced refs to give this newbie some feedback over multiple sessions - actually looking forward to it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend - and my last game of the season barring accidents - L7 Yorkshire 1

Bradford Salem v Huddersfield YMCA

Bragging rights for the worst team in Yorkshire 1

13th v 14th. Loss for YMs will resign them to last. No relegation due to restructure however.

The best thing about the whole fixture is that in refereeing YMs I will have refereed all 14 teams in Yorkshire 1 at least once this season. Something I've never managed before.

Last league game is 23rd April but I'm out on the piss on 22nd so didn't fancy it. ?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
L8 Seaham vs Ryton - DN2 Mid table with not a lot to play for (no one has a clue on promotion or relegation but league was won last weekend anyway)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
St Benedicts v Tarleton , North West 2 L 7. Neither team with anything to play for due to league re-organisation. hopefully it's on as there have been a few cry offs recently as teams have struggled for numbers in this league

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Bit of a season update considering I've not been in these parts for a while...

Spent the season playing for a team in L8 getting fitter and generally causing malice and mayhem to scrums across the North West. Record there: 15 games played, 7 won, scored 1 try.

I've also somehow reffed 21 society games this season and 4 or 5 club games as well - not a bad turnout considering I've had COVID, and had a few spells having to cry off due to injuries...

With some frustration at the set-up and the direction of the club, along with a sense that my training isn't being as successful when I'm spending most of the week rehabbing knocks to then go and make them worse the Saturday after.... I'm making a swing back to reffing again, hopefully to have a stab of getting as high up as possible with this new found fitness... and 5 stone weight loss...

This Saturday a lovely Lancashire ADM Division 1 game (L9) between Dukinfield and Clitheroe. A bit of a dead-ringer, in that Dukinfield have just won the league by virtue of another team crying off their game tomorrow, but Clitheroe is always a nice day out, and Dukinfield are usually a nice management challenge to sink my teeth into.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
First proper match of the season, north vs south and I'm in Covid iso with a sick 18month old.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
College women's round-robin friendlies @ Illinois State ft UofI, Northern Illinois, and Western Illinois. Fingers crossed it's not 40F with 20+mph gusting winds for the third assignment on the hop.

EDIT: NIU has cried off, citing numbers.

Nevermind, festival was called off, as WIU had to drop due to illness/injuries.

Last edited:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
This Saturday - Assistant reffing the Northern International Gay rugby finals day in Preston. Was meant to be in the middle but the games have been cut from 6 to 4 so alas I will have to do with running the line for a couple of games….

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Ended up managing to wrangle reffing Lancaster Uni's trial game today ahead of their varsity instead of the IGR finals.

Lancaster's 1st XV are at Level 7 - so was a good experience reffing 2 grades higher!

First 40 minutes was 'probable 1st XV vs possible 1st XV' - due to an odd 'injury' - coach had to call an ambulance and said 40 minutes ended up taking an hour and 15 to complete. By this point I was starting to seize up having continuously started and stopped and so the second 40 minutes was more 'challenging'... Second 40 minutes was 2nd XV vs 3rd XV... both games an utter joy to referee, and the levels of rugby is far better since I was a student there.

Was also able to take in Fylde 1st XV v Hull 1st XV afterwards for free and have a few pints with some society referees/exec floating around...

I'm aching, sunburnt but have had a cracking day!

Next weekend is a playing weekend - so Sedgley Park 3s v Vale of Lune 2s. Last game of the season and a nice run out against my old University coach to boot!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A very easy-going appointment this time - at Illinois State for Old Boys.

So much for that - top-level HS Boys, Marist @ De La Salette

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Last match of the season I think.
A Level 8 Friendly Wigton v Workington.
Next season this will be magically Level 7 thanks to the reorganisatoin of the leagues!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last league game of the season Darlington Vs Guisborough (L8 3rd Vs 1st, but could go 2nd).

Guisborough only beaten once this season, guess who reffed that one ?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Back to back HS boys - seniors at 4pm, junior varsity straight after once they warm up.

Should be interesting for me personally as, due to how the kids I coached at U12 and U14 a few years back have moved around, several of them are playing tomorrow scattered over all 4 teams

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Vets Friday night.
League game Saturday afternoon.
Volunteering at England Roses v Ireland on Sunday (at Welford Road).
Also need to find time to mow the lawn in there somewhere?