Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What's an "associate" ref?
One that is being considered for promotion to the next level. - National League Panel. Basically from L5 to L4. A new term this season. The equivalent of being on probation. This would be a trial game for the referee.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
One that is being considered for promotion to the next level. - National League Panel. Basically from L5 to L4. A new term this season. The equivalent of being on probation. This would be a trial game for the referee.
Thanks Balones.

Apologies for the jargon but Balones has answered perfectly.

There's roughly a referee from each "area" who are L5 and are appointed to game(s) in the NLs, with mostly little to play for but are, in other ways, challenging.

There's dealing with ARs (no mean feat in itself) and the comms and the positioning that you've spent years sorting and now have to adjust. The pace and intensity at L4 can be a challenge. The lads from "dahn saaath" are sometimes surprised by the crash and bash of Northern Rugby compared to the 15 a side sevens they are used to. That said the relegation of Leeds and Hull from N1 speaks volumes. :)

Some DoRs are more keen to speak to the referees post match and of course there's the DoRs conduit to the NLMOT management to whom the referees are accountable.

It's a challenge for the ARs too as generally we have never worked with the associates so it's new for everyone.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Only two colts games on WTR for the next two weekends and as I don't do Sundays, I won't be doing them.
Last 3 Cumbria teams in Papa Johns all away so that could be it for the season!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First taste of "showbiz" rugby

CRC's in Washington, DC - assignments are not out yet, but all games will be livestreamed on YT, with the stadium games being re-streamed on TRN with commentary.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder if the final appointments are divided up between societies who have refs at each level?
If clubs want to enter this prestige competition, maybe refs can?

Match Officials 4. The match officials must be booked through the Regional Match Official Teams, including the Finals.
not quite sure what that meant. so far AFAIK games have been put onto WTR to be filled by the society that covers the home club. Well, for the lower levels.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
County Cup Finals this weekend.
Senior cup on Saturday to be refereed by Craig Maxwell-Keys (Society member).

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Game for tomorrow (U12 and U14) just got canned due to waterlogged fields. 2” of rain yesterday and another inch today.

Pretty sure the teams were up for it (soggy pitch makes for a soft landing) but Parks and Rec don’t like the grass all torn up…

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
they were all appointed by RFU I think (which is not to say that the refs couldn't be also on here)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hope they pop in to read what it's like in the real world.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So did anyone on here get to officiate a papa johns final?

The north finals where at my club and on the Durham WTR, but a mixture of Durham and Northumberland usual suspects so looks locally appointed but with RFU / National input. We also had the National County Cup's on this weekend too so a good weekend for the higher ups.

Northumberland had one of theirs in the middle at Twickenham

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Slightly off topic regarding refereeing, but my club won their final 😊🥳 <feeling proud>
I reffed one of the clubs that went on to win their final at Twickenham

My old club lost their final