Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Fall season is done. Weekend will be spent working on getting dozens of referees in the area and region paid for playoff assignments.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This weekend is going to be interesting.

We'll be at Anzac Oval, because we're always at the Oval.

The Head of the NT referees wrote to the local Union President - ref abuse, insinuations of bias, all unacceptable. All perfectly fair points.

Rugby in Alice has a bit of a 'it's bush footy' problem. The referees before me, including the only other referee in town besides me, have become normalized to the way they're treated by coaches and players. Appeals at every decision, and when there isn't a decision. The odd spray. Captains trying to take hostages: "If you don't do XX, my players will likely do YY".

I've told OtherRef he's a far nicer than I am, and the behavior here is the worst, relatively, I've seen and heard in 28 years of refereeing.

So we had a chat about what to do, and the coaches, captains, and senior players and tell them that we're drawing a hard line. Coaches will STFU and stick to coaching. The first appeal for a decision will get a warning; second is a PK, third is a card, and fourth - well, we keep going. If there are appeals, a number of things can happen: even if you're about to score, you risk us bringing it back. Or, we're going to blow everything, material or not, with good context or not.

So, wish us luck. This could be a bumpy ride.

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
This weekend is going to be interesting.

We'll be at Anzac Oval, because we're always at the Oval.

The Head of the NT referees wrote to the local Union President - ref abuse, insinuations of bias, all unacceptable. All perfectly fair points.

Rugby in Alice has a bit of a 'it's bush footy' problem. The referees before me, including the only other referee in town besides me, have become normalized to the way they're treated by coaches and players. Appeals at every decision, and when there isn't a decision. The odd spray. Captains trying to take hostages: "If you don't do XX, my players will likely do YY".

I've told OtherRef he's a far nicer than I am, and the behavior here is the worst, relatively, I've seen and heard in 28 years of refereeing.

So we had a chat about what to do, and the coaches, captains, and senior players and tell them that we're drawing a hard line. Coaches will STFU and stick to coaching. The first appeal for a decision will get a warning; second is a PK, third is a card, and fourth - well, we keep going. If there are appeals, a number of things can happen: even if you're about to score, you risk us bringing it back. Or, we're going to blow everything, material or not, with good context or not.

So, wish us luck. This could be a bumpy ride.
I once did do that, told captains that appeals etc were too much as I was trying to play advantage, so for next 5 minutes I would blow immediately for any offense, after 5 minutes another chat with captains asking how they liked the new wat it was refereed. They agreed to shut down all chat as blowing the whistle every few seconds was driving me and both teams nuts

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No game this weekend as we are at the RLWC Final at Old Trafford to watch Samoa v Australia.

I shall be shouting for Samoa. Australia v NZ semi was worthy of a Final. It really is a great product when it's played like that.

Unfortunately international Rugby League is a bit of a basket case with too much sway held by NRL. The fact Ashley Klein (Aus) refereed the Aus v NZ semi is a bit rubbish - although he was good. The Aussies veto (or almost always did) neutral referees for their games against GB/England - I think they finally relented with Henry Perenara but I assume he is unavailable/not at the level required anymore.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Fall season is done. Weekend will be spent working on getting dozens of referees in the area and region paid for playoff assignments.
I spoke too soon - will be AR'ing some number of college national playoffs (Round of 16 and quarterfinals) for Mens D2, Mens Small College, Womens D1)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No game this weekend as we are at the RLWC Final at Old Trafford to watch Samoa v Australia.

I shall be shouting for Samoa. Australia v NZ semi was worthy of a Final. It really is a great product when it's played like that.

Unfortunately international Rugby League is a bit of a basket case with too much sway held by NRL. The fact Ashley Klein (Aus) refereed the Aus v NZ semi is a bit rubbish - although he was good. The Aussies veto (or almost always did) neutral referees for their games against GB/England - I think they finally relented with Henry Perenara but I assume he is unavailable/not at the level required anymore.
NRL fans will tell you that having Ashley Klein referee is like having a neutral referee. Their reasoning is that he's too bad to be biased.

On the whole, I like him. But his (their) challenge is that the Bunker is the Voice of God, and it very occasionally leaves the man in the middle deep in the brown stuff. There's been a couple of games, this season and last, where it all went very badly wrong, and you could see it on their faces "if you'd just let me handle this, we'd be better off"

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
It has been a slight on the English referees giving all the plumb appointments to the Australian referees

Aussie women v Kiwi women - referee Australian
Aussie men v Kiwis (semi-final) - referee Australian

There has been no attempt to have any neutrality and the appointments to the finals have been announced

Klein the mens
Belinda Sharpe the womens

Both Australian with Aussie teams playing

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I actually passed my RL officials course, part of which was run by Ashley Kline, many years ago when he was reffing in the UK. My son was playing mini RL at the time and when I offerred to help I was told I had to take the course. I did and my son promptly packed in and went to soccer!

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
169-0, in a "friendly." 27 tries, 17 kicks.

Did have 127-7 earlier this year in a league match.
Can I ask, was the solitary 7 scored after you missed two knock-ons, a forward pass, an offside and a fumbled touch down? 🤣😂🤣

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can I ask, was the solitary 7 scored after you missed two knock-ons, a forward pass, an offside and a fumbled touch down? 🤣😂🤣
Nope. The losing side won a penalty for holding on, tapped, and spun it out wide.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Looking forward to your feedback on this.
Somewhat amazingly, it went perfectly. Bar one appeal in teh second minute, everyone concentrated on playing rugby. They ere so worried abour cards, the rugby was really good. Tempers didn't rise, so the mood was good. Good natuted comments were exchanged.
The brief was collaborative rather than threateningly, which helped sell the message.

But yeah. Good.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend I am flag waving again.

Level 4 - Nat 2 North

Hull Ionians v Harrogate

I's are 3rd and Harrogate next to bottom so not expecting an away win. I was at I's 3 weeks ago when they easily disposed of Chester (who are 5th). Bottom 4 in N2N are cut adrift from10th place by 2 BP wins. Looks like a death match(es) for relegation between Preston Grasshoppers, Huddersfield, Harrogate and Blaydon already.

On the back of recent reports in both Yorkshire and further afield I have been promoted to Level 6. 😲

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I will, as usual, be at the Anzac Oval.

The best thing in the world happened last Saturday. Both regular referees were off - I was on holiday in Adelaide visiting distilleriesand wildlife parks, and my oppo was doing domestic duty because his wife is a superstar around here and was getting recognized.

So, the teams had to supply referees. And the players forgot the little chat we had two weeks ago abiout shutting up and set about being "helpful".
"What was that for Aaron?"
"It was a forward pass Frankie; you know it was forward. Don't start."
"But why are you giving a knock on signal?"
etc etc

So Aaron was recounting the story at last night's committee meeting, and I thought this was a....teachable moment.

"Was that helpful, Aaron? Did that help your process? Improve the experience at all? Make you do better? Improve your dynamic with Frankie at all? Hmmm? Make you feel better disposed to the players? Tell you what; no need to answer now. But remember those questions when we get to agenda item #2 - Referee/player behaviours".

I enjoyed THAT particular agenda item.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
probably the main lesson learned by Aaron is not to put his hand up again when next a team-supplied referee is needed

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Aaroin bis normally a player presumably. And the committee meeting was a club meeting? Or a refs one and he kindly turned up to report his expereince?

Merely curious :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Aaroin bis normally a player presumably. And the committee meeting was a club meeting? Or a refs one and he kindly turned up to report his expereince?

Merely curious :)
Nope. Monthly Central Autralian Rugby Union Committee Meeting - the two referees, three from the Exec, and then a couple of bods from the Clubs. Aaron is on the Exec and one of the clubs. If there's a ref down, he normally sticks his hand up. To his credit, I got a rueful smile and acknowledgement during agenda #2 that my points were valid.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So had my game this weekend called off but all is ok, I'm now doing the arrange fixture between the original home side and a new opponent. Venue has changed but that's not too shabby as it's now half the distance from where I live.

Who would be a societies' appointments rep on a Friday. I have no idea how our chap does it and hold down a job. It must be chaos.