Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oldershaw 2nds vs Southport 3rds... my first senior game!

Excellent - have a good day.
  • Smile.
  • Apologise if you FIU.
  • Keep it safe.
  • Remind them about TREDS if you need to.
Most of it is forward pass and knock on. They'll make more mistakes than you do

Let us know how you get on..

Nov 2006 - Dinnington 3rds v Selby 4ths : Feb 2023 still at it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oldershaw 2nds vs Southport 3rds... my first senior game!
don't tell them it's your first game beforehand!
tell them afterwards by all means ... but then be ready to stand on a chair drinking a pint on one

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
tell them afterwards by all means ... but then be ready to stand on a chair drinking a pint on one
Did southport 3rds last season. Good collection of old heads and young lads and enjoyable to ref.
Agree do not mention first game. The old heads will try every trick in the book anyway! Enjoy your day Stu10 and talk to the guys afterwards about the game. They will have good advice.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Whitehaven v Upper Eden, Cumbria L7. Whitehaven usually strong at home and Eden still on a run of almost 2 seasons without defeat! Looking forward to a train trip and a few beers afterwards.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I had already thought to keep this fact to myself until after the game!!!

It's almost a top of table versus bottom, so I'm hoping it won't be such a tight game that hinges on my performance. The Society President is coming down to observe, so I've got some backup and will get very valuable feedback.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Anzac Oval.
My game will depend on whether or not there are any fires, as my oppo works for the Fire Service. And it's hot. And dry. With breeze. And a declared Extreme Risk.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Been taken off my top of the table L8 game and put on a lower league with a team that have a reputation, and nearly had their game abandoned the other week, to keep an eye on them

Just call me the Equalizer ;)

I have been parachuted in again to a local derby, 1st v 2nd, both teams have written to the Society and requested we keep an eye on the other team! :rolleyes:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Excellent - have a good day.
  • Smile.
  • Apologise if you FIU.
  • Keep it safe.
  • Remind them about TREDS if you need to.
Most of it is forward pass and knock on. They'll make more mistakes than you do

Let us know how you get on..

Nov 2006 - Dinnington 3rds v Selby 4ths : Feb 2023 still at it.

First senior game went pretty well yesterday, got very positive feedback from the players ("very enjoyable game", "best ref in ages", "everyone discussing the game afterwards and not the ref" 😊) and zero complaints when I spoke to them all in the bar asking for feedback. I realise the bar of expectation is lower at this level, so I won't let it go to my head!!! I got some useful feedback on things to improve from the Society observer, which is to be expected.

One thing I did not anticipate before the game was needing to know protocols for reduced numbers... the home team only had 11 players :oops:
Sadly, I've since learned this is a common issue encountered at level 11 games.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
One thing I did not anticipate before the game was needing to know protocols for reduced numbers... the home team only had 11 players :oops:
Sadly, I've since learned this is a common issue encountered at level 11 games.
and there is not just one protocol -- each merit table will have their own.
strictly speaking this isn't the ref's job to know, the captains should. Practically speaking it's all lot smoother if you DO know

I always check pre game
- how many subs are allowed
- what happens if they start uncontested ?
- what happens if they go uncontested?
and I agree these with the captains at the toss.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
how did that go?

Very well.

Bit of appealing from one side, but a couple of march backs put a stop to that. Two players had a cuddle, so I Yellow carded both of them as the temperature was rising a bit at the time. That seemed to put a lid on it. 15-14 to the home team with the clock in the red, away team had a penalty on the 10m line and decided to kick it. Right in the middle but fell about 1m short.

Not really a stretch for me as two levels down, but it was a good competitive game and I really enjoyed it.

Like most games you get warned about beforehand, it never really developed into what everyone expected.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Whitehaven v Upper Eden, Cumbria L7. Whitehaven usually strong at home and Eden still on a run of almost 2 seasons without defeat! Looking forward to a train trip and a few beers afterwards.
Score was 0-43 but a good competitive game.
I was wrong Upper Eden now unbeaten for 3 years and still haven't been promoted due to league reorganisations!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Score was 0-43 but a good competitive game.
I was wrong Upper Eden now unbeaten for 3 years and still haven't been promoted due to league reorganisations!

Playing Whitehaven every week probably doesn't help their cause. :)

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
My match was called off and it was a full 1st XV fixture. An occurrence all too frequent these days. No other fixtures so I went off to observe somebody.
Observing a 1st timer this weekend as well. I remember how nervous I was in my first match and was really great full someone was there to suport me through it

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend more flag waving, this time in der der der der derrrr Lancashire!! : 😮

Nat 2 North

Sedgley Park v Wharfedale

Top against 8th so should, on paper, be fairly straight forward. Last weekend 'Dale lost at home to Fylde who are currently 2nd - refereed by LLP junior.

Not my first trip there but first game ARing out of County. It's just off M60 so if traffic is ok should take about 90 mins. Second guessing traffic round Manchester is an art but Utd aren't playing and City are away so that helps!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
So Stu10, How did it go?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anzac Oval.
My game will depend on whether or not there are any fires, as my oppo works for the Fire Service. And it's hot. And dry. With breeze. And a declared Extreme Risk.
I didn't know tumble weeds were a fire risk ;)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Egremont v Whitehaven this week. Nothing at stake but local bragging rights. Train and a few beers again plus the Wales v England game afterwards 🚂🏉🍻