Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Everyone.

I have just moved the discussion on female players to another thread of its own to stop this one being derailed.
In doing so I seem to have lost a few posts that I hadn't selected for moving.

If this affects your post I do apologise, it wasn't intentional and I can't seem to find how to reverse the action.

Apologies again, I was just trying to keep the thread clean.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Putting my post back here:

Anselmians 3rd XV vs Ruskin Park on Saturday (my second senior game) and then Cheshire Vase Semi-Final U15 on Sunday.

Ruskin Park are top of the table, having won 17 from 18 games, so I expect they are favourites, but Anselm's are 5th and I expect this to be a much tighter match than my first game a couple of weeks ago.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Same, reposting.
I have my first double weekend. Counties 4 on Saturday and then a women's game on the Sunday.
Never done a women's game before, only observed one.
Also will be good to push the fitness with 2 in a weekend

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have my first double weekend. Counties 4 on Saturday and then a women's game on the Sunday.
Never done a women's game before, only observed one.
Also will be good to push the fitness with 2 in a weekend
good luck DocP
the women's game is growing and healthy at the moment, enjoy.

the only difference I have found to ref is that the mix of skill levels, all on the same pitch, can be large. it's not uncommon to find some very good players, with years of experience, playing alongside team mates in their first ever season (or even first ever game).

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Cheers, the match I observed showed this a lot, the differing skill levels. Looks like game management may be my biggest challenge with some newbie players and getting them to adhere to the laws.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers, the match I observed showed this a lot, the differing skill levels. Looks like game management may be my biggest challenge with some newbie players and getting them to adhere to the laws.
Don't just tell them what you are penalising -tell them what you need them to do in future. e.g. "Tackler not rolling away -you have got to get clear much quicker than that"

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have done my match. AR for a trot out in 33 degree heat. I almost had to wear a jacket.

Now, my weekend will start at 0700 with NZ/Sri Lanka, and change at 1330 to India/Australia, and that will be me until stumps at about 8.

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
What struck me about the women's game was how nice everyone is. "Hi ref!" say the captains with wide smiles before the game. And the players will often check on each other (team mates and opposition) after hard tackles or rucks.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What struck me about the women's game was how nice everyone is. "Hi ref!" say the captains with wide smiles before the game. And the players will often check on each other (team mates and opposition) after hard tackles or rucks.

Yes that is an unexpected "treat".

That said I once did Yorkshire v Lancashire at U15 and that wasn't like that at all.

Given most of the participants were from Hull, Castleford, St Helens & Wigan I shouldn't have expected any different. :LOL:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my match tomorrow, have worked out that if either team won they are guaranteed promotion.

I love this end of the season

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Sat here wondering if one or both my games this weekend might be cancelled due to the snow 🥶

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend

AR in Nat 2 North

Sheffield Tigers v Otley

Postponed from last month due to waterlogged pitch.

Nothing riding on it. 4th placed Otley no chance of promotion unless they beat top two (and the rest) in their remaining games. 9th placed Tigers no chance of being relegated as long as they turn up.

Tigers pitch at 262m (860 ft for those of you who like that stuff) above Sea Level is a horrible place at the best of times so hopefully the weather will be kind - pah!

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So women's match done. Was very enjoyable and at a good pace for my first 2nd game in a weekend. I am a larger silhouetted fellow.

They are so polite, to the point that I think it distracts them. At one point a player was running towards me, yes I was slightly in the way but make a move to get clear, and as they were being tackled said "sorry sir" as if it was her fault that I was standing in the direction they were running. They also, sometimes, apologised after a decent tackle. That would definitely not happen on my normal Saturday Men's game. Also a little too much chatter in down time in the game I had. But it is a developmental league so it was mostly to do with technique etc, not something outside of the match.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Big Rivers 7s in St Louis.

First run-out of the season, and it's D1 College Men's 7s.

Eager to test my fitness at this level, but I suspect the weather will mitigate the speed of play - forecasted high of 37F, with wind gusts of up to 30mph.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Bottom of the table clash between two local teams... with so few games left, I'm not sure any result here will change league outcomes (it might even be the last game of the league season).

Based on my last (and only) game in this league, I wonder if I'll even have 30 players?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's semi final time at the Anzac Oval. Saturday night, 36 degrees ish (that's mid high 90s for those still using imperial). Two clubs that don't like each other, and one club whose captain still thinks in terms of Rugby League laws and won't shut up.

Whole lotta fun.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Got myself a last minute friendly. Level 12, so will be a great opportunity to practice some of my work-ons at hopefully a slightly slower pace so I can get them right in my head before stepping up the levels again

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Counties 3 for me.
2nd v 4th, with the 4th place team having a game in hand, so all to play for.