Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That's what they call a landmine game

17 all with 10 minutes to go, then the home team pressed harder and won 27-17 in the end.
Away team coach wouldn't shake my hand.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Confirmed for Omaha GOATS (D2 men) vs Lindenwood 2nds.

Might AR the Lindenwood/Arkansas State main event (D1 Elite men) afterwards.

EDIT: doubleheader confirmed.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've only had that once, and it's stuck with me ever since. Is it common over there?
I would say that going to shake hands and being refused is very rare.

but if one or more of the coaching team simply slunk off at the end of the game - would we always notice?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've only had that once, and it's stuck with me ever since. Is it common over there?

I've had it happen once in 17 seasons - at L10.

Home team got dicked 80 odd nil and one of them refused to shake hands and told me I was shit. I told him I might be shit but at least I can tackle. He never appeared in the club-house to critique my performance. Told the blazers what I thought and they said all the club thought he was a bell-end too. :)

I think most who don't feel like a handshake just don't bother coming near. I certainly don't go seeking people out.

Like I said once in 17 years, an actual refusal, to my face. I think I only offered my hand as he was nearest to me when I blew up.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I would say that going to shake hands and being refused is very rare.

but if one or more of the coaching team simply slunk off at the end of the game - would we always notice?

It can be pretty vague who's an assistant coach, waterboy, injured captain along to support... but I always check in with the head coach to check for injuries and cards that need reporting.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend

AR in Nat 2 North

Sedgley Park v Huddersfield

Nearing the business end of the season.

SP 12 pts clear of Fylde at the top of N2N. 4 games left (5 for Fylde) so can't be resolved this week. Nothing to play for for Huddersfield apart from (less) mid table obscurity.

Not a bad trip - all motorway apart from 3 miles.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I've had it happen once in 17 seasons - at L10.

Amazing that L10 and L11 players appear to believe they should be getting an elite level TO4 that don't miss anything.

Also a refusal to consider their own performance might be the issue after an 80-nil kicking.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cumbria L 7 St. Benedict's v Workington. last game for both clubs I think with nothing at stake. should be a good run out though I'll be blowing out of y *rse after the last 2 weeks in Sri Lanka and the Maldives where i did nothing but eat and drink!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First run out of the season. Short match to open a round robin HS tournament.

Usually good players, but weather often well iffy. Last year it went from sunny and breezy but just above freezing to sudden short downbursts of rain that I can only call the meteorological equivalent of the ice bucket challenge.

I’ll admit to more trepidation than usual as this is first run out in anger since trashing my ankle last August. Will either be all clear, or straight back to the ortho.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I think my season is probably over... pulled my hamstring 10 minutes into the second half last Saturday. I managed to limp through the last 30 minutes, but I'm not going to take a new appointment until fit (obviously) and we only have end of season cup games left over the next few weeks.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Confirmed for Omaha GOATS (D2 men) vs Lindenwood 2nds.

Might AR the Lindenwood/Arkansas State main event (D1 Elite men) afterwards.

EDIT: doubleheader confirmed.

Found out last night Omaha cried off, so just the AR gig. Was hoping for one 15s run-out before a bunch of 7s qualifiers (working three in the build-up to the CRCs at the end of April), but alas

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cumbria L 7 St. Benedict's v Workington. last game for both clubs I think with nothing at stake. should be a good run out though I'll be blowing out of y *rse after the last 2 weeks in Sri Lanka and the Maldives where i did nothing but eat and drink!
Well visitors have cried off but I'm still there doing seconds v Keswick seconds. should be a decent game i hope.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
42-5, 4 yellow, 1 red.
GOD that was hard work. I'm now enjoying my pie and a large G&T.
Sounds like a tough one. Curious, were most of the cards against the losing side?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sounds like a tough one. Curious, were most of the cards against the losing side?
Winning actually. The red was just...it was old fashioned mountaineering, on a player 1.5m from the actual tackle.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Winning actually. The red was just...it was old fashioned mountaineering, on a player 1.5m from the actual tackle.

I usually find the better/winning team is the one that gives away the most penalties and gains the most YC's as a result.