[Scrum] Where can the non-throwing SH go after ball thrown-in ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
which s/h in their right mind would give up 5 metres? For me it's a lateral line across the pitch and is just there to ensure the s/h on the side losing the strike cannot close down on the other side.

I see it quite frequently !

I assume the reasoning is that if you retire to the back foot you can now defend both blind and open side

Sometimes I will see the SH moving laterally on his offside line, ie away from the scrum to cover the opposing 10 (not so common )

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I see it quite frequently !

I assume the reasoning is that if you retire to the back foot you can now defend both blind and open side

Sometimes I will see the SH moving laterally on his offside line, ie away from the scrum to cover the opposing 10 (not so common )

It first really came to my attention when I saw TJ perenara, I think it was, drifting away in a super rugby game and the ref directing him in no uncertain terms to get behind the back foot once he had drifted that couple of metres sideways.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Pinky, I think we will have to agree to disagree about this; I'm of a firm belief one way and you have a different one. I don't see me getting you to change your interpretation, and that's fine. These are the nuances that make our game special.

Elpablo, if you look at the clips on the WR site, there is one where the Italian 9 drifts to the other side, but stays behind the back foot. However his 10 comes offside 5m back and it is there where the penalty is awarded.

(Don't look at the Scotland Japan scrum video earlier, I don't know what Greg Laidlaw thought he was doing!)

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pinky, I got to discuss this with a national panel referee coach and he said:

"World rugby have been known to use videos to illustate points of law that sometimes show other laws not being refereed as they are written, and this is one of them. At the international level keeping the game flowing is the primary aim of the referees and so will manage the players & teams to get this. Rugby on TV and rugby we officiate are effectively 2 different games."