Where is the scrum?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Red SH is tackled a couple of metres from his own line. He attempts to offload to his ten, but inadvertably throws the ball into in goal. Red pick up the stationary ball from in goal and attempt to play their way out of trouble. Two long passes follow but they realise they won't make it out of in goal and dot down, 20m more central than where the ball entered in goal.

Where is the 5m scrum? In line with where the ball entered in goal or in line with where it was put down.

Would it matter to your answer if it wasn't touched down, but made dead by the ball going over dead ball line?

I think - a) in line with where ball was put down and b) no.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Red SH is tackled a couple of metres from his own line. He attempts to offload to his ten, but inadvertably throws the ball into in goal. Red pick up the stationary ball from in goal and attempt to play their way out of trouble. Two long passes follow but they realise they won't make it out of in goal and dot down, 20m more central than where the ball entered in goal.

Where is the 5m scrum? In line with where the ball entered in goal or in line with where it was put down.

Would it matter to your answer if it wasn't touched down, but made dead by the ball going over dead ball line?

I think - a) in line with where ball was put down and b) no.

a) The Law agrees

[LAWS]22.7 RESTARTING AFTER A TOUCH DOWN
(d) If a defending player threw or took the ball into the in-goal, and a defending player
grounded it, and there has been no infringement, play is restarted by a 5-metre scrum. The
position of the scrum is in line with where the ball has been touched down
. The attacking
side throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

b) I agree.

If the ball wasn't grounded but was made dead by crossing the DBL, I would mark the scrum on the 5m line opposite the place where it was made dead. If the place where it was made dead was the TiG or along the DBL within 5m of TiG, I would mark the scrum on the 5m line, and 5m in from touch.

Last edited:

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Thanks Ian. I spent ages looking for that in the good book!