Where should kick be taken after a mark?

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
In yesterday's game red 9 put in a lovely box kick into opponents 22. Black 15 covers across and calls mark and runs into touch.

AR gave throw in to red as he felt Black 15 had one foot in touch and one in field when he caught the ball. Referee adjudged that Black 15 had called mark before going into touch.

It was a very close call and would have required TMO review. However, my question is where should Black 15 take kick, one or five metres in? :chin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In yesterday's game red 9 put in a lovely box kick into opponents 22. Black 15 covers across and calls mark and runs into touch.

AR gave throw in to red as he felt Black 15 had one foot in touch and one in field when he caught the ball. Referee adjudged that Black 15 had called mark before going into touch.

It was a very close call and would have required TMO review. However, my question is where should Black 15 take kick, one or five metres in? :chin:
[LAWS]Law 18.2 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]The kick is awarded at the place of the mark. If the mark is made in the in-goal, the kick is awarded 5 metres from the goal line in line with where the mark was made.[/FONT][/LAWS]No dispensation for being close to the touchline.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 18.2 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]The kick is awarded at the place of the mark. If the mark is made in the in-goal, the kick is awarded 5 metres from the goal line in line with where the mark was made.[/FONT][/LAWS]No dispensation for being close to the touchline.

Thanks OB that's what I thought. Resulting clearance kick took play down to 10 metre line whereas angle from one metre would have resulted in touch on 22 metre.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks OB that's what I thought. Resulting clearance kick took play down to 10 metre line whereas angle from one metre would have resulted in touch on 22 metre.

So the correct decision is 'Kick is taken from the Mark'- where was the kick actually taken from?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
So the correct decision is 'Kick is taken from the Mark'- where was the kick actually taken from?
5 metres in! :nono:
You'd be surprised how often players think the mark is always 5m infield.

I think what confuses them is that the mark for a scrum near the touchline must be at least 5m infield ... and they then think that EVERY mark needs to be 5m infield. :sad:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with all that.

Moving on the AR (or was it a TJ?) called it to be in touch before the mark. If : "It was a very close call and would have required TMO review." Was the referee best placed to overrule the call. Or do you think he should have gone with the call.

I only ever overrule if I am 100% sure that the call is wrong (TOTALLY CLEAR and OBVIOUS).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You'd be surprised how often players think the mark is always 5m infield.

I think what confuses them is that the mark for a scrum near the touchline must be at least 5m infield ... and they then think that EVERY mark needs to be 5m infield. :sad:

As well as the situation for scrums , all PK near or beyond the goal line are now taken at the 5m line.

It's actually a bit of anomaly that PK aren't moved 5m in from touch. Imo they should be

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It's actually a bit of anomaly that PK aren't moved 5m in from touch. Imo they should be
Agreed. In fact I would prefer to see them all at least 15m from touch

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As well as the situation for scrums , all PK near or beyond the goal line are now taken at the 5m line.

OB... said:
Agreed. In fact I would prefer to see them all at least 15m from touch

Why is that? I can see a good reason for moving scrums in 5 due to their dynamics. What is the reason for not giving a PK at the point of the infringment?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why is that? I can see a good reason for moving scrums in 5 due to their dynamics. What is the reason for not giving a PK at the point of the infringment?
To make sure it has some value. A PK 6 inches from the touchline merely gives you a nearby lineout or scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Partly for consistency , partly because a PK extremely close to the touchline is actually very difficult to take without going into touch

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
But the scrum moves out because if the centre of the scrum was on the mark the props could, on occasion be in touch. Or very quickly the scrum would be in touch. The 5 mtre (goal line issue) issue is common sense since taking one a footfrom the line would be almost a nailed on try. However that does not apply with a Penalty near the touch line. The basic principle is the scrum or the kick is where the offence occured (unless there is a good reason to change or, of course, "options").

The fact that it is a difficult kick is not relevant for me. Don't forget you are also making the kick for goal easier! But not as easy as OB would do. In on the 15 would make then all pretty much kickable.

I can see some merit in coming in to the 5 but not the 15.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It would indeed. hoever, for me, the are good reasons fpr the other exception. I'd have no problem if they brought it in 5. 15 would be daft .

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Despite my view, I remember a kicking demonstration by a Welsh fullback when I was at school (1950s). He stood on the touchline and curved the ball infield then out into touch some way down the line. He then did the same with the other foot.

However that didn't happen at grass roots, which is where the 15m rule would be most beneficial. I don't think the supposed downside at top levels is too serious.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Proposing 5m I wasn't even thinking about kicks at goal, where it will hardly make any difference to most grass roots kickers , I was thinking of the kick to touch , and the quick tap, in both cases there is a lot of difference being 50cm from the touch line or 5m from it

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Despite my view, I remember a kicking demonstration by a Welsh fullback when I was at school (1950s). He stood on the touchline and curved the ball infield then out into touch some way down the line. He then did the same with the other foot.

However that didn't happen at grass roots, which is where the 15m rule would be most beneficial. I don't think the supposed downside at top levels is too serious.

Isn't that a standard 'banana' ball? I seem to remember trying and achieving that with very little practice on a coaching course many moons ago. I see it used several times a season down at my level.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't that a standard 'banana' ball? I seem to remember trying and achieving that with very little practice on a coaching course many moons ago. I see it used several times a season down at my level.
I don't recall having seen it at all in any of my games for many years.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The 'banana' kick isn't difficult but the need for it is rare and the wind conditions need to be favorable. The case in the OP is one. Probably not taught much.