Where should kick be taken after a mark?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The 5 mtre (goal line issue) issue is common sense since taking one a footfrom the line would be almost a nailed on try. However that does not apply with a Penalty near the touch line. The basic principle is the scrum or the kick is where the offence occured (unless there is a good reason to change or, of course, "options").

I can see some merit in coming in to the 5 but not the 15.

Only for the attacking team. There is no logic to moving a defensive PK to the 5m line, but WR did this some years ago.

Moving in 15 is what happens when there is an infringement while the ball is out of play, so there is logic in OBs suggestion.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Only for the attacking team. There is no logic to moving a defensive PK to the 5m line, but WR did this some years ago.

Moving in 15 is what happens when there is an infringement while the ball is out of play, so there is logic in OBs suggestion.

The "5 in" at both ends equalises the two 5 mtr zones.

The £15 in" is logical with offences at a line out (after the ball has gone into touch).

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Proposing 5m I wasn't even thinking about kicks at goal, where it will hardly make any difference to most grass roots kickers , I was thinking of the kick to touch , and the quick tap, in both cases there is a lot of difference being 50cm from the touch line or 5m from it

"Too much advantage (gain)"?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And some confirmation from:

http://www.sareferees.co.za/ref-replies/duty-ref-533--jaco--jaco/2829672/

Question: In the Lions vs Jaguares, about 46 min, in, the Lions scrumhalf tackles high and takes the player into touch. Should the penalty be given on the 5m or 15m from touch?Jaco Peyper: Hi Willem - if I am not mistaken… you are a very good and eager referee at Free State society for last few years (Scotty!)

I do not have the video footage available in Argentina, but if the transgression takes place inside the field with the ball still in play – the mark of the penalty kick is at the place of infringement, even though they might end up outside the field.

It is different though when ball is out of play (player in touch) and then the infringement takes place – the penalty kick mark is 15m in as play would have restarted with a Line Out but for the infringement.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
To bump this based on finally getting to watch the second half of the Harlequins Saracens match - Tom Foley made Alex Goode take the kick from a mark (that was disputed) a couple of meters in front of the DBL and not 5m into play. To be fair to TF, he had too many players in his ear all game and otherwise, I thought, did well.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I watched that game.. although I don't remember the mark, I thought he had a poor game , allowed too much chat and at one point didn't he say something like "you have had your warning, now I am giving you .... another warning ". Wtf ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Both law books say the kick should be taken in the field of play at least 5 metres from the goal line (2018: 17.7; 2017: 21.2 a & b).

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know it's old but.........

I think I would have confirmed ball caught in touch and gone with throw in where it was kicked.

Unless the 9 was such good kicker that he had kicked it from his own 22 :wink: