Great work Crossref.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
crossref, I'll let you do the table editing:

[LAWS]2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball,
and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the
plane of touch.
[/LAWS]

Red is not stated in 2017.

[LAWS]If a player jumps and catches the ball, both feet must land in the playing area otherwise the ball is in touch or touch-in-goal.
[/LAWS]

This ^^^^^ was in 'Definitions' in the 2016 laws but was removed in 2017.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks both , I will update my table tomorrow

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think minimum pitch size is a change --

The dimensions of the playing area shown in the ground diagram
Then a table --
Field of play length 94-100
In-goal length 6-23
Width 68 - 70

then
The playing area is rectangular in shape
.a. Any variations to these dimensions must be approved by the relevant union for
b. domestic competitions or World Rugby for international matches.

(a) Dimensions. The field of play does not exceed 100 metres in length. Each in-goal does not exceed 22 metres in length. The playing area does not exceed 70 metres in width.

(b) The length and breadth of the playing area are to be as near as possible to the dimensions indicated. All the areas are rectangular.
(c) The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line will preferably be not less than 10 metres.
(d) In respect of:
(i) Matches between the senior national representative team or the next senior national representative team of a Union against the senior or next senior national representative team of another Union; and
(ii) International seven-a-side matches;
the dimensions should be as close to the maximum sizes as possible, and not less than 94 metres in length for the field of play, 68 metres in width, and with a minimum in-goal length of 6 metres. Unions wishing to vary minimum or maximum dimensions should apply for dispensation to World Rugby.

I think that all amounts to the same thing.

NOTE - in both the 2017 and 2018 versions the diagram shows a minimum in-goal length of 10m, but the text specifies 6m

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the touchline one -- for me Law 18/19 (why, why oh why didn't they preserve the Law numbering??) is easily the worst part of the 2018 re-write -- what's the point of carefully re-writing all the old 2017 Laws and completely ignoring the 2017 Law Amendment Trials ?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Changes in wording are not changes in Law, they are clarifications of existing Law. The acid test is, will you referee something differently using the 2018 Law Book, from how you would using the 2017 Law book? The answer to that is, no.

Law 7 > 9 - Players have always been allowed to push the ball carrier, and they still can
Law 14 > 13 - Players have always been out of the game when off their feet
Law 10 > 9 - The Cavalry Charge has always referred to multiple players

The wording may be different, the Laws are the same.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Definitions specific to each law have been removed leaving some gaps:

2017 Scrum definitions included:

[LAWS]The outside players who bind onto the second or third row are the flankers.
The player in the third row who usually pushes on both locks is the No.8.
Alternatively , the No. 8 may push on a lock and a flanker.
[/LAWS]

2018 Scrum laws include:

[LAWS]7. The players in the scrum bind in the following way:
d. All other players in the scrum bind on a lock’s body with at least one arm.[/LAWS]

Is there an assumption by WR that all scrums are 3-4-1 as in their diagram? Or do the 2018 laws leave it open to 3-3-2, 3-2-3?

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've not looked at any of the threads on simplified law book as I've heard nothing official from my society
10.4 one man cavalry charge. Technically was illegal now not.
22.7.b knock on into goal. This leaves the way open for attacking team have put the ball into in goal so defence touch it down 22 drop out

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there's also that business about who gets the scrum feed from a kick that leads to an unsuccessful maul. Kick offs, penalties, etc all lumped in together under "open play" definition.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
there's also that business about who gets the scrum feed from a kick that leads to an unsuccessful maul. Kick offs, penalties, etc all lumped in together under "open play" definition.

Yes , good call, but I need to re read that. I think perhaos it's not so much a change , as something that in the old Laws was clear, but in the new Laws is ambiguous (?) .

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've not looked at any of the threads on simplified law book as I've heard nothing official from my society
10.4 one man cavalry charge. Technically was illegal now not.
22.7.b knock on into goal. This leaves the way open for attacking team have put the ball into in goal so defence touch it down 22 drop out
[LAWS]22.7 [FONT=fs_blakeregular](b)
[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, [/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]a scrum is awarded[/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular] where the knock-on or throw forward happened.[/FONT][/LAWS]
We have argued all round this before.

If a referee awarded a 22 drop out, I would mark it as a law error, and expect to be supported by my society.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB.. yes , but in 2018 when that part of the Law has disappeared from the Law Book , would you still mark it as a definite Law error.. or is there room for doubt next year

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
OB.... is correct. Also 12.1c
The 2018 version does include it. Very simply P90. Under scrum section.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Can you expand on that ?

Not entirely sure what you want me to expand on so apologies if I have got it wrong.

The top of the chart on p90 - 2018 simplified version- indicates where a scrum is awarded when there is a knock on.

Law 22.7b is a repeat of Law 12.1c in 2017 version.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A small change in wording that could have a significant impact long term.

[LAWS]2017 Laws
20.6 (d) The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle line , so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the width of the nearer prop’s shoulders.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]2018 Laws
LAW 19 Scrum Throw-in
16. The scrum-half throws in the ball:

g. So that it first touches the ground inside the tunnel.
Sanction: Free-kick.
[/LAWS]

Couple this change with the 'off-set' scrum half position and the ball could be dropped directly under the prop's foot making it even more difficult for a fair contest.\

Now, with the prop striking the ball will travel diagonally to the right foot of the #8. Ideal positioning of the ball. However, with the prop striking we'll need to bulk up the hooker to support the prop against his opposite number.

Note that I didn't say loose head prop. I'm betting that we'll see some tight head feeds in certain circumstances.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not entirely sure what you want me to expand on so apologies if I have got it wrong.

The top of the chart on p90 - 2018 simplified version- indicates where a scrum is awarded when there is a knock on.

Law 22.7b is a repeat of Law 12.1c in 2017 version.

Yes. Hmm
What's still clearly the same is the indication of where the scrum takes place.

What's changed - or missing - is the instruction NOT to give a dropout when the ball is knocked on over the goal line and then touched down.

Is that an important Law , does that make a difference ? It's certainly a Law that is often cited here , and also a Law that covers a pretty common circumstance .

For me , if there is knock on over the goal line into the in goal and touched down, then to justify a decision of scrum (rather than a 22m) you would need the 2017 Law Book

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I get your point but that's only because some want to take the point of advantage beyond its intent.

You simply cannot make the ball dead and expect to gain a better advantage. Either play on to try and get an advantage or take the scrum. You cant have it both ways.

Hmm..maybe it's not this law that needs including to spell it out..perhaps add something to the advantage law??

Then again... i have no issue with it and couldn't see how a 22 drop out was justified.

Last edited: