Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2017

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
8.12 & 13

These are seemingly new, and not on the Google doc.

So, if the ball touched down 1 M from touch and is blown off the tee and rolls all the way to the center, you can kick it and still get your 2 points, but if the wind is blowing the other direction and the ball rolls in to touch, then you cannot get your 2 points. Time restraints and opponents charging notwithstanding. What does this add to the game?

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
PK/FK 5m from goal line (Re: Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2017

Hi,

Should PK/FK by a defending team (infringement by an attacking team) be marked at 5m from the goal line?

I believe it was at the placement of infringement till WR Laws 2017 contrarily to PK/FK by an attacking team (5m from the goal line). The WR Laws 2018/2019 do not distinguish between attacking and defending teams.

It was hard for me to search in this forum as relevant words are too general but, at least, it seems not mentioned in the summary table (very convenient, thanks to crossref):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

WR Laws 2016/2017 21.2(a)
.. If the place for a penalty or free kick is within 5 metres of the goal line, the mark for the kick is 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.

WR Laws 2018/2019 20.1
The mark for a penalty or free-kick must be in the field of play and be no closer than five metres from the goal line, as per the following table:
Any infringement in in-goal or within five metres of a goal line.
In the field of play, five metres from the goal line, in line with the place of infringement.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi mich,
First post. Well done for leaving the shadows.

Shouldn’t you be out enjoying the RWC?

Rugby World Cup 2019™ Match Schedule
International Stadium Yokohama

POOL STAGES
Sat 21 Sept 18:45 B New Zealand v South Africa
Sun 22 Sept 16:45 A Ireland v Scotland
Sat 12 Oct 17:15 C England v France
Sun 13 Oct 19:45 A Japan v Scotland

KNOCK OUT PHASE
Sat 26 Oct 17:00 SF1: W QF1 v W QF2
Sun 27 Oct 18:00 SF2: W QF3 v W QF4

FINAL
Sat 02 Nov 18:00 Final

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Re: PK/FK 5m from goal line (Re: Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2

Should PK/FK by a defending team (infringement by an attacking team) be marked at 5m from the goal line?

I believe it was at the placement of infringement till WR Laws 2017 contrarily to PK/FK by an attacking team (5m from the goal line). The WR Laws 2018/2019 do not distinguish between attacking and defending teams.

I don't follow. Looking at 21.2 in e.g.
http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/resources/Laws/World_Rugby_Laws_2016_EN.pdf
I don't see any difference between attacking/defending teams. Is it the word "opposite"?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
It used to be the case that a penalty awarded to a defender was at the point of infringement, but the attackers were always on the 5m line, but this was changed some years ago (before the major changes to the law book) to make it always on the 5m line.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Re: PK/FK 5m from goal line (Re: Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2

I don't follow. Looking at 21.2 in e.g.
http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/resources/Laws/World_Rugby_Laws_2016_EN.pdf
I don't see any difference between attacking/defending teams. Is it the word "opposite"?

Oh. The "opposite" phrase may just mean "in line with"? In that case, the defending team exception of "5m from goal line" had already not been ruled by that time. However, as Pinky said, it seems to used to be the case sometime before. Unfortunately, I have no access to older laws.

Anyway, Japanese mini ruling borrowed it from the senior laws probably a long time ago, which should be changed to follow the modern laws - simply, always keep 5m gap from goal lines for PK/FK/Scrum/Lineout.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The change was made in the 2016 book:

[LAWS]

21.1 Unless a Law states otherwise, the mark for a penalty or free kick is at the place of infringement.
21.2 WHERE PENALTY AND FREE KICKS ARE TAKEN
21.2 (a) The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark. If the place for a penalty or free kick is within 5 metres of the opponents’ goal line, the mark for the kick is 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.

[/LAWS]

became

[LAWS]

2.2 WHERE PENALTY AND FREE KICKS ARE TAKEN
21.1 WHERE PENALTY AND FREE KICKS ARE AWARDED
21.1 Unless a Law states otherwise, the mark for a penalty or free kick is at the place of
infringement.
21.2 WHERE PENALTY AND FREE KICKS ARE TAKEN
21.2 (a) The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark. If the place for a penalty or free kick is within 5 metres of the goal line, the mark for the kick is 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.
[/LAWS]