Whodunnit ?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Whilst the offence was C&O, the perpetrator might have escaped via his almost camoflaged number ......had it not been for several checks of the video......

C&O numbering please !

http://www.rugbydump.com

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The TMO was being as helpful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Why? The TMO told him the correct number and mentioned 15 as well, who I think played a big part in what happened. He pulled the ball-carrier's shoulders over and slammed them to the ground after 13 lifted him, making the situation worse and significantly increasing the risk of serious injury to the player.

I agree with the RC but I think 15 should have got YC as well.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I agree with the RC but I think 15 should have got YC as well.

I agree with RC, however I do not understand the concept of two cards for one offence.

That said, it would not be unreasonable in cases like this (where the dynamics of two defenders tackling/grasping/rotating the BC) for the laws to allow the option for two simultaneous YCs rather than singling out one player for Red.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree with RC, however I do not understand the concept of two cards for one offence.

Not quite sure what you mean; what card(s) would you give if one player was holding an opponent while another punched him?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Not quite sure what you mean; what card(s) would you give if one player was holding an opponent while another punched him?

Typically players are held by other players from their own team.

A "handbag" punch on an opponent which might see Yellow normally could change into Red if there is a team-mate holding him, but in my limited experience of rugby union brawls, there are worse things to worry about.

But since you are asking what I meant: an offence under law 10 in the normal course of play tends to be blamed on a single individual (as opposed to a brawl where there may be multiple cards for multiple offences, or simply for the sake of equality).

In summary: a physical attack on an opponent who is able to react might (might!) be a Yellow, but escalation to Red for defenceless players attacked whether they be stuck on the ground or held/bound by others. I would not card the ground for being below a player being stamped on.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But we would probably all agree that a player on the ground getting kicked by 2 opponents would likely result in 2 RCs.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But since you are asking what I meant: an offence under law 10 in the normal course of play tends to be blamed on a single individual (as opposed to a brawl where there may be multiple cards for multiple offences, or simply for the sake of equality).

In summary: a physical attack on an opponent who is able to react might (might!) be a Yellow, but escalation to Red for defenceless players attacked whether they be stuck on the ground or held/bound by others. I would not card the ground for being below a player being stamped on.

you been smoking in Amsterdam again Rushforth?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
They got there but I bet that Cj would have wanted some clearer help from the TMO.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't think the numbers themselves were the problem.

You had two guys who looked slightly similar. The offender slunk off to hide behind his mates. The innocent party just stood there.

Failure to correctly identify the number of the offender from the off was the cause. I know this isn't always the referee who does this at that level, because he knows he has backup. But he should really do it anyway....never forget the basics.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
typical racist attitude, "they all look the same to me"

:biggrin: