Women or Ladies

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok, so it's a case of " .... the most important thing is to use whichever term the athlete prefers and feels comfortable with" not a case of right or wrong, just being respectful to individuals, and other people (as appears to the norm) getting offended on behalf of others (who in my anecdotal case are not offended)?
you could ask the lady refs in your society about it ? Or any lady coaches you meet at your ladies' games.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
you could ask the lady refs in your society about it ? Or any lady coaches you meet at your ladies' games.

I do, and have, see my post earlier about the section heads (also coaches) at my club, it's a non-topic with no preference, I also AR'd for a BUCS Women's National League (their terminology not mine) with a Female ref just the other week, again, non-issue, no preference, terms used freely, no offence taken.

Hence my confusion, the only places I've been told my (and my club's) terminology is wrong is on the internet, by men :rolleyes:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do, and have, see my post earlier about the section heads (also coaches) at my club, it's a non-topic with no preference, I also AR'd for a BUCS Women's National League (their terminology not mine) with a Female ref just the other week, again, non-issue, no preference, terms used freely, no offence taken.
I am glad to see you referring to a 'female ref' rather than a 'lady ref'.
Like Phil, when you want to cite her opinion, you use the more respectful term.

So some progress !

Hence my confusion, the only places I've been told my (and my club's) terminology is wrong is on the internet, by men :rolleyes:
so try the links I gave you ? or - better - google for yourself, you'll find plenty of women with an opinion.

Or read the sports pages of any paper - you'll find the refer to women's rugby not ladies'

And I note - as you correctly say - it's BUCS Women's National League - not the Ladies league.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Congratulations on missing the point, if the 'ladies' I am addressing are happy being called ladies, then that's ok - whether yours or someone else's opinions agree or not, they are happy, I have done nothing disrespectful (which is as much about my intention than someone else's opinion), and 'progress' is not needed

'Progress', and 'More respectful term' are the metrics, that you are trying to seemingly impose

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Surely you mean women refs, women coaches and women's games :rolleyes:

I am glad to see you referring to a 'lady ref' rather than a 'female ref'.
Like us, when you want to cite her opinion, you use the more common term.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I can never understand why some people get upset about a particular word.

But as a small boy I was traumatised by my Grandmother's reaction to being called a woman.
The shop assistant who committed this act of aggression probably still has nightmares.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So was I.
you were?
I am glad to see you referring to a 'lady ref' rather than a 'female ref'.
Like us, when you want to cite her opinion, you use the more common term.

were you really saying that 'lady ref' is a more common term than 'female ref'?

Phil, please don't tell me that you commonly refer to female referees as 'lady refs' ??? Surely not.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So what do ladyboys have to say about this?
Should I now refer them as women-boys? I'm planning a trip to Thailand and don't want to offend.

(there I said it!,...you were all thinking it but too afraid to say it)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Fuck me. Bald men arguing over a comb, this.

Based on my experience in the US, where I regularly did Women's Rugby, the clubs and players couldn;t give a shit what label was used as long as it was done with respect.

Women's Rugby/Ladies' rugby - no-one cared.
The term for a collective of players was "ladies".

They were just happy that people were taking their games seriously, and respectfully. The rest is background noise.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't look now SS - but you've just grabbed the comb :LOL:. You're not going to get that 15mins back.

Some how I think a few may have been toying with Crossref (guilty as charged.)

(Don't worry Crossref I promise not to use "crumpet", "sweetheart" and "wench" disrespectfully.)

But this does have parallels with the thread and hoo-ha Gardner got for calling them "boys".

(geez we really do know how to waste our time on irrelevant sh!t):ROFLMAO:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(geez we really do know how to waste our time on irrelevant sh!t):ROFLMAO:
But it's not irrelevant shit though.

Anyway, in the OP Doc wasn't thinking about his language and used the L word

But am pleased to note that this whole thread since, where people have been thinking about their language, everyone has used the "women" or "female" to refer to women and no one has used the L word.
So real progress

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But am pleased to note that this whole thread since, where people have been thinking about their language, everyone has used the "women" or "female" to refer to women and no one has used the L word.
So real progress
Lesbian? o_O

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So real progress

Glad you're pleased, I did a straw pole of every lady in the office yesterday, none of them cared, most thought it made them sound posh and took it as a compliment - not sure how not using a word that some people find is a compliment is progress? But of course, some people struggle when other people have a different view to theirs don't they :unsure:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Glad you're pleased, I did a straw pole of every lady in the office yesterday, none of them cared, most thought it made them sound posh and took it as a compliment - not sure how not using a word that some people find is a compliment is progress? But of course, some people struggle when other people have a different view to theirs don't they :unsure:
Well done for doing some research, Flish

You discovered that "women" and "ladies" are not just the same, they have different connotations

So could reflect on which is more appropriate in sport in the modern world (the articles I linked to are good)

And also about the image of yourself you want to project when discussing women's sport, and women's rugby in particular

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well done for doing some research, Flish

You discovered that "women" and "ladies" are not just the same, they have different connotations

So could reflect on which is more appropriate in sport in the modern world (the articles I linked to are good)

And also about the image of yourself you want to project when discussing women's sport, and women's rugby in particular

I didn't discover anything new, I just reaffirmed my experiences, and confirmed that a blanket "ladies = bad, women = good" approach which seems to be what you are advocating, if not insisting, is incorrect - so I can quite comfortably carry on being respectful and polite in the same way that I was before