Women or Ladies

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The only thing that really gives my wife the shits is when it is referred to as 'girls rugby'.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so maybe we/you (as refs) shouldnt call male players "gents" ever.

I appreciate (as was pointed out recently) we have had a thread about "lads" not so long ago.

maybe its just safer to use terms of shirt colour. until maybe somebody decides we cant use "black". [ thats not some gammonati moan! Im being ironic! ]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't discover anything new, I just reaffirmed my experiences, and confirmed that a blanket "ladies = bad, women = good" approach which seems to be what you are advocating, if not insisting, is incorrect - so I can quite comfortably carry on being respectful and polite in the same way that I was before
yes, indeed, if it's your deliberate choice to use the word, and that's the impression you want to make, then go for it.

(did you read any of the articles I referenced BTW - did they not provoke any re-thinking?)

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so maybe we/you (as refs) shouldnt call male players "gents" ever.

I appreciate (as was pointed out recently) we have had a thread about "lads" not so long ago.

maybe its just safer to use terms of shirt colour. until maybe somebody decides we cant use "black". [ thats not some gammonati moan! Im being ironic! ]
we don't, though, do we?

gentlemen's rugby
gentlemen coaches
gentlemen refs
this week I am reffing a gentlemen's game
the BUCS Gentlemen's League 1
the rugby gentlemen's world cup

I don't think I have ever heard anyone use any of those terms. Where people need to specify the gender, in rugby, they invariably say 'male' or 'men' .

That's kinda the whole point really....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ever get that feeling of deja vu?
all the time, Bud, all the time.!

and one thing I notice is that you often interject without actually giving your opinion.
(for instance I don't think you ever gave your opinion on addressing players as 'boys' or 'girls')

so on this one: what's your opinion on referring to "ladies' rugby", "lady refs" "lady coaches" "ladies' games" ?

Are those phrases you would use?

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
well, i havent played for 15 years but...

When you're ready gents
gents - no more of that

etc etc etc
Maybe it's an age thing, but I would say "guys"... does that mean we use gals in a women's game (or is it guys and dolls)? 😊

Actually, I commonly use "folks"... am I allowed to use that in any game?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
yes, indeed, if it's your deliberate choice to use the word, and that's the impression you want to make, then go for it.

(did you read any of the articles I referenced BTW - did they not provoke any re-thinking?)

No, because the articles all expressed the opinions of some (ok, all valid, I can respect them, work with them) but they are not the opinions of *all* which is the point you are completely missing, there is no right answer or approach, there is no global reason to change the terminology. There is no new thinking here

I asked right at the beginning to be educated, and I know nothing new, some people dislike the term 'ladies' that's ok, I've never met one yet, some people dislike the term 'women' that's ok too. Doesn't make one more valid than the other, just be respectful, it's not hard.

"people have different opinions shocker!"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, i havent played for 15 years but...

When you're ready gents
gents - no more of that

etc etc etc
yes, well the thread started about how we should refer to women's rugby.
Doc referred to reffing a 'Ladies game'
I said we should refer to women's rugby as 'womens' and participants as 'women' or 'female'
just as we refer to men's rugby as 'men's' and participants as 'men' or 'male'

A lot of responses pretty much ignored what I said, but instead discuss how players should be addressed... which is a different (but related) question.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where I am the most seniors mens comp is Dewar Shield and most senior womens comp is Lindroth Cup. So the safe way would be "I'm reffing a Lindroth Cup game this Saturday"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Where I am the most seniors mens comp is Dewar Shield and most senior womens comp is Lindroth Cup. So the safe way would be "I'm reffing a Lindroth Cup game this Saturday"
Dickie, you answered your own question, there is a men's comp and a women's comp
Perfect
(Not, we note, a men's comp and a ladies comp)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Dickie, you answered your own question, there is a men's comp and a women's comp
Perfect
(Not, we note, a men's comp and a ladies comp)
Correction, “you note” as demonstrated, it’s only you that’s flogging this horse

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
all the time, Bud, all the time.!

and one thing I notice is that you often interject without actually giving your opinion.
(for instance I don't think you ever gave your opinion on addressing players as 'boys' or 'girls')

so on this one: what's your opinion on referring to "ladies' rugby", "lady refs" "lady coaches" "ladies' games" ?

Are those phrases you would use?
Don't forget this one:

But no I have given up trying to provide an opinion or share my logical thoughts, I find that discussion with some on here is like Indecisive Dave:

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But only to those with a Times subscription!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But only to those with a Times subscription!!

12 foot ladder seems to be down - but here are some qutes

lady footballers aren't qualified to talk

But if I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she’s saying, ‘If I would have been in that position I would have done this,’ I don’t think it’s quite the same. I don’t think it crosses over that much

they should stick to being lady presenters ..
“There are some very, very good lady presenters and I’m working with one in two days’ time, Terry Yorath’s daughter, Gabby [Logan].
.. especially if they can identified by reference to a man.

Last edited: