[Law] Womens Rugby Rules Variations?

Pluto

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can anyone advise me of any variations that apply to RFUW Championship? I have a game this weekend but the link on the RFU website appendix 1 to regulation 16 appears to be broken.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can anyone advise me of any variations that apply to RFUW Championship? I have a game this weekend but the link on the RFU website appendix 1 to regulation 16 appears to be broken.

Hi Pluto! Welcome to the board.

There are a couple of minor variations for clothing allowed, but other than that, no differences.

Just keep in mind the usual stuff, for example some Scrum Halves might take offence if you tap them to tell them to put the ball in at the scrum. Other than that, enjoy!

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in some locales women use U19 scrum variations. Not sure for you, though.

Fair enough, not come across that before. Good question to ask before the game though :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair enough, not come across that before. Good question to ask before the game though :)

Tut tut ...you should have! U19s applied to women when you were refereeing down here. But then again, you were always too good for refereeing women's in these parts. :booty::biggrin: :sarc:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tut tut ...you should have! U19s applied to women when you were refereeing down here. But then again, you were always too good for refereeing women's in these parts. :booty::biggrin: :sarc:

While I'm not surprised to hear from you (I like to think of you as my own personal peanut gallery), I'll have you know I reffed more than a few women's games in my time. I just missed the memo about U19's law application... :rc:

In the future I shall leave the commenting to men of greater wit... :booty:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I try.....

But you're forgiven..
It was in that thing called 'ACT Rules of Competition'.....akin to the Yeti i.e. some have seen it but nobody knows where it's located so unsure if it is real or not? :rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Pluto - ignore the ramblings of the colonials. RFUW League variations (U18 with one in two specific differences) only apply at RFUW levels 3 and below. Women's Premiership and Championship in RFU-land use full adult laws with no variations.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Pluto - ignore the ramblings of the colonials. RFUW League variations (U18 with one in two specific differences) only apply at RFUW levels 3 and below. Women's Premiership and Championship in RFU-land use full adult laws with no variations.

except some kit variations???

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
except some kit variations???

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more ;-) l***ings and rugby league style chest protectors.

In six years of reffing Women's Prem and Champ I never came across players wearing l***ings but more recently I have seen web photos of one or two examples in Champ matches.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That's because it only became law a few years ago ST :wink:

Pluto

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks all for your comments and help - some more useful than others!

As it turned out, no variations at all (other than kit - use of leggings permitted) at this level anyway. Speaking with the ladies before the game was all that was required. They confirmed to me that some competitions do use U19 variations but not all. Due to the conditions on the day we did shorten the 2nd half to 35 minutes, otherwise normal full senior laws applied.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Can I ask what the conditions were that led to the second half being shortened?