Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Standard of officiating has been excellent but a couple of situations has got me checking my law book with out success.
1. A Wales player sees the ball bounce off another Welsh player towards touch. To stop it going into touch, she dives on the ground, places her hand on the ball 1 metre from the touchline. Before she releases the ball, her feet touch the ground beyond the touchline. AR flagged for touch but poses the question as she was not carrying the ball could it be play on ?
2. A Wales player clears from outside 22m and ball caught in wind. Aussie girl standing in touch tries to catch the ball but knocks on. Referee gave a scrum with no argument. If it is a scrum is it 5 or 15 metres from the touchline ? Or is the ball direct into touch and line out back ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
1) seems fair enough to be in touch to me (happy to be wrong!)

2) had the ball crossed the plane of touch when she knocked on?

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Standard of officiating has been excellent but a couple of situations has got me checking my law book with out success.

1. A Wales player sees the ball bounce off another Welsh player towards touch. To stop it going into touch, she dives on the ground, places her hand on the ball 1 metre from the touchline. Before she releases the ball, her feet touch the ground beyond the touchline. AR flagged for touch but poses the question as she was not carrying the ball could it be play on ?

2. A Wales player clears from outside 22m and ball caught in wind. Aussie girl standing in touch tries to catch the ball but knocks on. Referee gave a scrum with no argument. If it is a scrum is it 5 or 15 metres from the touchline ? Or is the ball direct into touch and line out back ?

I'll have stab ....

1 if the player is in control/holding the ball then its in touch.

2. If the catcher and ball is way over the touch then line out back, if the ball doesnt cross the TL then the ball isnt out, nor caught, so I'd give a Scrum at position of knock-on, infield to the 5m.

But I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain, but that's what I'd give if happened in a match I had.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'll have stab ....

1 if the player is in control/holding the ball then its in touch.

2. If the catcher and ball is way over the touch then line out back, if the ball doesnt cross the TL then the ball isnt out, nor caught, so I'd give a Scrum at position of knock-on, infield to the 5m.

But I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain, but that's what I'd give if happened in a match I had.

I would agree with ruling that way

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First question in both scenarios: Did the ball cross (touch) the plane of touch?

Yes? Then ball in touch put there by player who touched it previous to crossing plane.

No and ball stays in field of play? Then "Play on" in 1 and "Knock on" in 2.

No and ball then goes into touch then "In touch off player attempting to keep ball in play" for 1 and scrum/lineout choice for 2.

I think.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
First question in both scenarios: Did the ball cross (touch) the plane of touch?

Yes? Then ball in touch put there by player who touched it previous to crossing plane.

No and ball then goes into touch then "In touch off player attempting to keep ball in play" for 1 and scrum/lineout choice for 2.

I think.

Marauder, isn't having control/hold of the ball the same as carrying the ball, if you then go into touch?

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel

I think.
in neither case did the ball cross the line of touch.