Women's World Cup

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Feeling jaded about the state of the men's game?
Tired of all the grubby snide shots, and the barraging of the referee?
Tired of aimless kicking?

Watch the Women's World Cup. The semis and the final were...well, they restored my faith in watching rugby live on tv. I got dispensation from SWMBO to spend most of the weekend watching game, probably because she knew it put me in a good mood.

England's rolling maul is just *chef's kiss* a thing of beauty. The French abandon and running was une merveille.

The referees? Apart from two brain farts in the quarters - which I suspect cost them the final - has been excellent. Hollie Davidosn, who had the final, must surely get a real T1 Test soon. She makes it look so easy. She had a decision today that was handled flawlessly, and it was one that that at kleast two male referees I could name would have found a way of avoiding. She is Pearce/Barnes-like in handling the players and looking completely at ease.

So yeah. The Women's World Cup. The best advert for the game we've had in a long time.

And this made my heart sing a little.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Absolutely agree. Roses v Ferns was as good a game as I've ever seen. Even as an England fan I couldn't fault a moment of it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The Fr v NZ semi was a belter too.

What were the brainfarts you mentioned Simon? Merely intrigued

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The Fr v NZ semi was a belter too.

What were the brainfarts you mentioned Simon? Merely intrigued
Ummmm

There was a dump tackle in the Wales quarter that I thought was...generously interpreted.
I'm buggered if I can remember the second. I want to say it was Joy Neville, but my doctor tells me my memory may be shot for a very long time.

Bitter? Me?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
H
Feeling jaded about the state of the men's game?
Tired of all the grubby snide shots, and the barraging of the referee?
Tired of aimless kicking?

Watch the Women's World Cup. The semis and the final were...well, they restored my faith in watching rugby live on tv. I got dispensation from SWMBO to spend most of the weekend watching game, probably because she knew it put me in a good mood.

England's rolling maul is just *chef's kiss* a thing of beauty. The French abandon and running was une merveille.

The referees? Apart from two brain farts in the quarters - which I suspect cost them the final - has been excellent. Hollie Davidosn, who had the final, must surely get a real T1 Test soon. She makes it look so easy. She had a decision today that was handled flawlessly, and it was one that that at kleast two male referees I could name would have found a way of avoiding. She is Pearce/Barnes-like in handling the players and looking completely at ease.

So yeah. The Women's World Cup. The best advert for the game we've had in a long time.

And this made my heart sing a little.
Holly Davidson was really good wasn‘t she? I do disagree with the yellow card for the Kiwi for the high tackle on Abby Dow, but that was as much due to the seemingly rushed decision of the TMO.

That apart, fine performance, which complemented the dynamism and skills of both sets of players perfectly.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree the games were outstanding, the skill, pace, ease at which the "athletes*" handled the ball and overall awareness and ability were truly inspiring. Games continue to be focussed and relatively niggle free.

The Black Ferns playing a free running offload adding game really made a spectacle and deserved to win based upon their improvement since last Autumn.

England maybe should have thrown longer at eh final line out and used the shift move that worked so well in earlier games, N were always going to boost at 2!

The referees were there to enable the game and did so in a fuss free and efficient manner, interesting that England's delay in taking the line out lead to the decision being overturned and NZ getting the try that would carry them through.

*term used in an effort to avoid deraiing of the post after I used a term some considered derogatory in a post lauding rugby over 3 years ago.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It has been fantastic to watch both the players and the MOs, even if the whole event was woefully under-promoted here in the States. Hopefully this will trigger all the major unions to put their hands in their pockets to both even out the competition at the top but also get the grass roots game expanded.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Feeling jaded about the state of the men's game? Tired of all the grubby snide shots, and the barraging of the referee? Tired of aimless kicking?

Watch the Women's World Cup.

I agree. I have said for years that women's rugby is more fun to watch and when I was refereeing, I loved doing women's games.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I coached girls and womens rugby from youth club and county, to senior club and regional, and always found it a total delight.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hollie Davidosn, who had the final, must surely get a real T1 Test soon.
When you say "real" I assume you mean "mens"?
If so wouldn't she need to be a regular ref in Gallagher or similar first?

My wife has a view that if she were one of the best female players in the world and participating at this event, she would would want & expect the best referees available regardless of gender.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In general, rugby is much more fun and exciting than men's rugby

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

My wife has a view that if she were one of the best female players in the world and participating at this event, she would would want & expect the best referees available regardless of gender.
On that display, she is better than a couple of the Men at International level. She does do URC games, and has been getting good reviews there.

I should have used alternative language, so apologies.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

She is Scottish, so unlikely (though not impossible) to do Premiership games. Doesn’t she already do some URC games though?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I coached girls and womens rugby from youth club and county, to senior club and regional, and always found it a total delight.
As it happens I really enjoy reffing girls/women’s games. They are completely different.

Not least, I get apologies from players who commit penalty offences, rather than being snarled at or questioned 😂😂

overall though, I think there is an absolute sense of joy from the players, that you rarely find in men’s games.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can I just say that England played something like 60 minutes with 14 players and only just lost. Magnificent display. Reminded me of the Soccer game against Argentina when Beckham got sent off and the team ended up losing a penalty shoot out after extra time.

Imagine if New Zealand had lost to the 14 players.

The lineout call at the end was their best bet (catch/maul) and I doubt they wanted the extra time that a three point penalty would have got them

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I find it very interesting the the women's game appears to play to the laws and has very few deliberate infringements... for example, England's driving maul from the 22... I can guarantee in a men's game someone would have collapsed that, and arguably collapsing it 15m out may be the clever play, but the laws tell all players to stay on feet and that's what both teams did.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As it happens I really enjoy reffing girls/women’s games. They are completely different.

Not least, I get apologies from players who commit penalty offences, rather than being snarled at or questioned 😂😂
s.
I find it very interesting the the women's game appears to play to the laws and has very few deliberate infringements... .
Can I just say that England played something like 60 minutes with 14 players and only just lost. Magnificent display. Reminded me of the Soccer game against Argentina when Beckham got sent off and the team ended up losing a penalty shoot out after extra time.

Imagine if New Zealand had lost to the 14 players.

So, given the above - and countless similar comments elsewhere -- would the Final of the RWC have been imporved if England had been allowed to bring a replacement player 20mins after the RC

(for this was precisely the sort of scenario that that the 20 minute replacement was aimed at - I think we all agree that the RC was correct - but at the same time, Thompson had no intention to commit foul play)

Last edited:

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So, given the above - and countless similar comments elsewhere -- would the Final of the RWC have been imporved if England had been allowed to bring a replacement player 20mins after the RC

(for this was precisely the sort of scenario that that the 20 minute replacement was aimed at - I think we all agree that the RC was correct - but at the same time, Thompson had no intention to commit foul play)
No I don’t think so. Englands chances of winning would have been improved, but not necessarily the game.

I am against the 20 minute red card idea. The reason being that, to my mind, there are instances whereby a permanent red card (ie no replacement after 20 mins) is appropriate.

I understand that there is this “orange card” idea whereby this would be the 20 min sanction sitting in between red and yellow, but not a fan of this either. Too much additional subjectivity.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

So, here's the maths on that one if it came to be.
England lose a player for twenty minutes.
NZ lose one of their key players for the whole match.

This is the exact match to show how stupid the 20 minute red is.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I disagree. Fans pay a lot of money to see an even contest that is diminished by 15 v 14 for a large part of the game.

One of the main purposes of punishment is deterrence. If that's the purpose here, I'd suggest other deterrences be used (lengthy ban, loss of match fee, etc)

If we're hell-bent on punishing the team why not go the whole hog? Red card offence = immediate forfeit by offending team & end of game. That'll learn 'em