[7's/10's] World Cup 7s

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Watching live streaming the Women's opening round. Canada v. Brazil saw some really great rugby but the next two of Australia v. PNG and NZ vs. Mexico shows the desperate need to have a two tier competition per the U-20s 15s. Mexico barely touched the ball.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ireland surprised England in a scrappy match. USA romp over China but don't show anything but size and speed.

Interesting incident in that game. USA have PK and ball is on the ground and about on the mark. US player stands over it then kicks it a foot or so and picks it up. She then kicks to touch, clearly not realizing that she had taken the kick. Who here would award the line-out to China on a line with where the ball was kicked? I think I would.

Now a pet peeve: Players who carry into goal untouched and often unchased who then wait for an op to press them before grounding the ball.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ireland surprised England in a scrappy match. USA romp over China but don't show anything but size and speed.

Interesting incident in that game. USA have PK and ball is on the ground and about on the mark. US player stands over it then kicks it a foot or so and picks it up. She then kicks to touch, clearly not realizing that she had taken the kick. Who here would award the line-out to China on a line with where the ball was kicked? I think I would.

Now a pet peeve: Players who carry into goal untouched and often unchased who then wait for an op to press them before grounding the ball.

China lineout
And that's the guidance. if you can't be bothered to chase them, then they can play at their own pace.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Issue I’ve noticed at lineout. Ball thrown in, caught and then catcher held in air while the thrower runs to become the receiver. I thought you had to bring the player down as soon as they caught the ball. Am I wrong?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
aiui you are not wrong. I guess this is so endemic in sevens that nobody "cares".

didds