[Law] World Rugby approves law trials to reduce coronavirus risk

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
World Rugby expect the trials to apply more to the community game than the elite end, where testing is likely to be more widespread, although the introduction of an "orange card" is specific to the professional game. Source: for further details of proposed trial

[LAWS]Among the law trials:

• Removing scrum resets.
  • Taking away the option of a scrum for a penalty, a free-kick, or when an attacker is held-up in-goal.
  • Reinforcing high tackle guidelines to reduce face-to-face contact and the introduction of an "orange card" for potential red-card offences.
  • The player is removed with the offence checked by the Television Match Official. If deemed a red card offence, the player doesn't return. If not, they return after 15 minutes.
  • Removing the choke tackle, with referees calling a "tackle" rather than a "maul".
  • Awarding a free-kick rather than a scrum for when a team fails to "use it" at a scrum, ruck, or maul.
  • Speeding up rucks by cutting the "use it" time from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Restricting the number of players who can join a maul and the time spent in the maul.
[/LAWS]
With tight-five forwards considered most at risk of transmission, World Rugby estimate that the changes could reduce scrum contact exposure by more than 30%, reduce contact exposure at the ruck by around 25%, and reduce maul contact exposure by at least 50%.

:shrug: How easily will the grassroots game adapt to such changes?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You're presupposing that the respective Unions adopt them.

I don't know just how sure a bet that is.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
You're presupposing that the respective Unions adopt them.

I don't know just how sure a bet that is.
You got a point there ; Guardian article
New Zealand union already said it will not be adopting trials
Any sporting body who, after lockdown says we’re not adapting our approach, risks finding that little Billy will not be enrolled in their clubs. That could have a long term effect on the future of the game. The Premiership is there to make a profit, so no surprise they are not keen to adopt these trials. The amateur game, on the otherhand has a different set of priorities. Rugby needs to wake up to the slow strangling of the grassroots game
In a culture of changing work patterns, more enlightened approaches to parenting and an increased accent on individualism, the traditional model of the rugby club has been transformed, as has each player’s commitment to it.

My question remains the same however. If & when respective Unions adopt the law trials for the grassroots game ;
:smile: just how easily can we adapt to them?

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I believe that Welsh Rugby has also indicated that it won't be adopting them either.

RFU is remaining quiet - as far as I am aware - at this stage. Probably because of the whole Premiership fiasco.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The IRFU is still in lockdown. Covid update for clubs
:ireland:I suspect they will let others bite the bullet before positioning themselves on the matter.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
My understanding is that World Rugby put these changes to the various unions and they were rejected unanimously. That’s why they’ve now been issued as suggestions that individual unions can adopt should they choose to do so - and the unions are choosing not to.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
My understanding is that World Rugby put these changes to the various unions and they were rejected unanimously. That’s why they’ve now been issued as suggestions that individual unions can adopt should they choose to do so - and the unions are choosing not to.

This, too, is my understanding.

USA R is having to fashion consultative process to think about it because the old R&L Committee went away and there isn't a replacement yet.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I think everyone agrees these proposals are unworkable. What then? Will all registered players accept to use the app which informs other players when they have been in contact with someone who has subsequently been diagnosed with Covid19?
Clubs must be prepared to put a pitchside disinfecting arrangement for training and matches. I think that’s a minimum, doing nothing whatsoever is not an option.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

that way, if there is a spike, WR can wash their hands (pun intended)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think everyone agrees these proposals are unworkable. What then? Will all registered players accept to use the app which informs other players when they have been in contact with someone who has subsequently been diagnosed with Covid19?
Clubs must be prepared to put a pitchside disinfecting arrangement for training and matches. I think that’s a minimum, doing nothing whatsoever is not an option.

well this is where the app falls down. Red #1 and blue #3 can be in very close proximity for 80 minutes. But their mobiole ophones may be several tens of metres apart in changing rooms etc. So if Red #1 gets CV19, how will the app know to tell blue #3 ?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Good point didds.

This is where clubs could be proactive, by providing mobile phone storage lockers. So all players and subs going on a particular pitch have their phones stored in a confined space/wall mounted locker. That would overcome issues of proximity for the app. While perhaps creating a whole host of liability problems for the club over potential stealing of phones. You can even get ones with charging points which would encourage players to use them.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Good point didds.

This is where clubs could be proactive, by providing mobile phone storage lockers. So all players and subs going on a particular pitch have their phones stored in a confined space/wall mounted locker. That would overcome issues of proximity for the app. While perhaps creating a whole host of liability problems for the club over potential stealing of phones. You can even get ones with charging points which would encourage players to use them.

yeah _ I'd thought that. But then you have the reverse problem. Blue #18 never even gets on, and spends the entire time at A's ground nowhere near red #1. But his phone has just spent 2 hours in the same locker as red #1. Red#1 gets CV19 and now blue #18 is in 14 days self isolation despite not having a chance to get it, having driven himself to the ground and home, and not even been in proximity of his on field team mates etc ...

didds

L'irlandais

Post Likes
No I don’t think that will be an issue. The app (which I have no intention to install on my phone) will alert you ( or Blue #18, if you prefer) that contact with an infected person has occurred. The need to self-isolate is only a recommendation, afaik, so the sub can reasonably decide he’s not required to do so.

Obviously if nobody respects these voluntary measures, fines might be introduced. However I am sure #18 could contest the fine, by explaining what actually happened.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cheers L'Irlandais

Meanheile back to the laws suggestions etc...

Maybe form a WR perspective they have now offered ways to protect players [ alleged etc ] so if unions do not take them up WR can say "Nothing to do with us guv. We gacve you options to reduce CV19 ijnfection. Its on your head now"

?

Didds (who likes a minimalist conspiracy theory, just not lizards using 5G to kill humans via CV19 )

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Apparently the app is fatally flawed. The idea we can use Bluetooth to measure distance, is based on the fact that at somewhere over 10m away the signal fails. However this in no way means that a weaker strength of signal is proof of sufficient distance between you and the infected person. Holds especially true in an urban environment. For the moment the only government rolling out the app is the Chinese one, whose motives are questionable
... data collected during the epidemic should be destroyed after it ends or that rules should be put in place on how to manage the data.
Yeah, right.

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The app (which I have no intention to install on my phone) will alert you ( or Blue #18, if you prefer) that contact with an infected person has occurred. The need to self-isolate is only a recommendation, afaik, so the sub can reasonably decide he’s not required to do so.

But the software is already in your phone. You are tracked all the time. Just not with an 'official government app'

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The underlying protocols (that will feed into automated contact tracing apps) are already on Apple/Google devices. The actual app you will need to download and install.

Software can be used to develop apps that detect when a user has spent time near another user who later tests positive for the virus
It will make it easier for iPhones and Android phones to detect each other, work across national and regional borders and fix some of the problems that led previous apps to quickly drain a phone’s battery.
With less than 4% of the population subscribing, big brother is far from keeping tabs on us all. Given the number of police agencies relying on fax machines, don’t be too surprised if most of them haven’t yet availed of an app prereleased last month.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Love the Idea that you guys think that clubs will provide lockers for individuals. Have you never heard of the "Valuables bag" in your neck of the woods? Many clubs don't even have changing rooms that lock:hap:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Apparently the app is fatally flawed. The idea we can use Bluetooth to measure distance, is based on the fact that at somewhere over 10m away the signal fails. However this in no way means that a weaker strength of signal is proof of sufficient distance between you and the infected person. Holds especially true in an urban environment. For the moment the only government rolling out the app is the Chinese one, whose motives are questionable
Yeah, right.

Australia has rolled one out

In any case, for rugby i dont think its necessary anyway. We have teamsheet apps already so we know who played (would be an interesting way to catch someone playing under a false name)