Would you have let Sam Burgess Play at your level?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
An awesome performance by a great player but at my Level, (in union) with that injury I think I would have asked for him to be replaced.
What do you all think

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why would you have asked for him to be replaced?

There wasn't free-flowing blood and he was clearly not concussed, so I don't see what traction you'd have to ask for him to be replaced.
An awesome performance by a great player but at my Level, (in union) with that injury I think I would have asked for him to be replaced.
What do you all think

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would let him play at my level as long as he took note of my "Special list of players to tackle very hard......"

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

There wasn't free-flowing blood and he was clearly not concussed, so I don't see what traction you'd have to ask for him to be replaced.

Clash of heads, following which “To be honest I couldn’t feel the pain,” he said. “My head was a little bit dizzy, a bit of blurred vision in the right eye.”.

Merits a pitch-side evaluation at the least, surely?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

I'm with CT.

At lower levels,( bereft of outranking expertise) , referees need to sometimes exercise a duty of care to a player beyond the level that he can for himself! Concussion is one example, but its not the only one.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
After just taking a clash of heads with another beast I'd be surprised if he wasn't feeling a bit dizzy. Doesn't mean that there's concussion. Physio clearly comes on and chats to Sam and play goes on.

No suspicion of concussion in the video of the tackle at all, so no need for evaluation. We can't start having everyone running off the pitch to be checked out every time they hit their head.
Clash of heads, following which “To be honest I couldn’t feel the pain,” he said. “My head was a little bit dizzy, a bit of blurred vision in the right eye.”.

Merits a pitch-side evaluation at the least, surely?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
After just taking a clash of heads with another beast I'd be surprised if he wasn't feeling a bit dizzy. Doesn't mean that there's concussion. Physio clearly comes on and chats to Sam and play goes on.

No suspicion of concussion in the video of the tackle at all, so no need for evaluation. We can't start having everyone running off the pitch to be checked out every time they hit their head.

Dizziness and blurred vision are included in the RFU's "Recognise" guidance within the "Headcase" campaign.

I presume you've read it DrSTU ?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Dizziness and blurred vision are included in the RFU's "Recognise" guidance within the "Headcase" campaign.

MMMMUUUUUUMMMMMMMM.........
They are fighting again..............:booty:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes I have. I've also been around contact and collision sports to know that feeling dizzy and having blurred vision after taking a hit to the head doesn't mean that you have a concussion. There's quite clearly a healthcare professional there within 10s after the collision and he's not seeing any concussion signs; so you expect the ref to then step in?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I get dizzy if I jump up too quick.

Do I have concussion?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yes I have. I've also been around contact and collision sports to know that feeling dizzy and having blurred vision after taking a hit to the head doesn't mean that you have a concussion. There's quite clearly a healthcare professional there within 10s after the collision and he's not seeing any concussion signs; so you expect the ref to then step in?

CTs point, was that at his level, and in a different CODE ( presumably with the absence of a sprinting HCP) he'd replace the player , so would I. Thankfully RL tolerances don't mirror my acceptability levels on many things.

Our Status Quo position has got us into this concussion / long term brain injury situation. If people keep dealing with this issue as it always has been dealt with , then the same results will continue.

Clearly you're able to differentiate expertly, and if only everyone could operate at your 'judgement' level then RUGBY wouldn't have any problem.

I bet that all referees would argue they have always taken due care with players, but here we are ......... And change IS required.