Would you ping for off feet?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting to note also the widespread attention and media coverage gained by Irelands average ruck speed against Wales of 2.78 seconds although also of note was that Scotland's was the slowest of all the nations at 4.46 seconds and it didnt seem to do them any harm.
An interesting stat, but based on a single set of matches it seems to me that you are really only looking at 3 referee's POV rather than a wider scale team based trend .

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Of course, but I was referring more to the media focus on the stats in the week following the game rather than the numbers themselves. I havent seen such precise stats highlighted in a similar way before and suspect its use is because it is now a measurable area of focus for attack coaches.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Personally, the first offence is off feet. As has been said before, if he's popped his hand down, stood up and then went for the ball before the defense gets there, then fine. But he's went beyond the ball, then straight onto the ball. At this point, anything he does is irrelevant. I'd allow the tackled player to play the ball back despite the jackler as he's not legal. Then ping him for off feet if he doesn't release when I tell him to. In terms of the 2 rucking white players. I reckon they're both fine... just. The angle isn't clear. The 2nd player might have been slightly outside the gate. But I think thats borderline.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Truthfully I think that in real time, I would penalise the ball carrier for holding on.

I understand that have a slow replay does highlight the fact that he very briefly went beyond the ball, but even watching this extract, if you look at the tackler (correctly moving away) and the ’dubious’ angles of the two supporting players, it is extremely easy to miss the split second that he is pa
st the ball.

What is very clear though is the holding on.

so it may not be exactly right, but it’s probably the way the decision would go in real time, most of the time.

also, we don’t know where the ref is, and as I’m sure everyone knows, it is very easy to be unsighted for a split second.