Would you ping for off feet?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No. Brief & incidental contact past ball is OK. I'd ping White #17 for side entry

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
? both very valid, see how different people view things. Soon as I saw it, I said off feet.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'd ping it. If he stood back up then went for the ball again, then fine play on. But he's went beyond and came straight back onto the ball.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
They get away with this at the top level, but not usually at grass roots.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The TV commentators talked about this one a lot at the time, though I wasn't so sure myself... this is somewhat of a gap for me though because not so common at age grade and very obvious when it does happen.

For me, his left hand goes straight onto the ball and his left hand goes beyond and then back onto the ball... does it impact the decision with only one hand beyond the ball?
No. Brief & incidental contact past ball is OK. I'd ping White #17 for side entry

I think both white players have entered from the side, with the second player even worse than 17.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Off topic (ish). ..

Try standing with your heels tight to a wall and bending forward to touch the ground...

Haven't found any human yet who can do it... therefore I believe that anyone who is in a position where their ass is forward of their feet is supporting their body weight by some other means! !

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The TV commentators talked about this one a lot at the time, though I wasn't so sure myself... this is somewhat of a gap for me though because not so common at age grade and very obvious when it does happen.

For me, his left hand goes straight onto the ball and his left hand goes beyond and then back onto the ball... does it impact the decision with only one hand beyond the ball?

I think both white players have entered from the side, with the second player even worse than 17.
Agree with this. Didn't camp over and drag back and would have easily won the ball if not for the two blokes coming in from the side. It's a "What's more important, rugby that is competitive or letting attacking teams kill the contest at a ruck by not entering fairly" question but I think it will depend on your preferred style of ruggers which way you lean.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
**Not allowed edit (again)...

Or being driven back by their opposition!!
i have checked and analysed your permissions, and it states you can edit your own posts. please can you try again, and send me error if any.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah, I reckon the Quins player has done everything he can to play positively. To ping him would be a bit jobsworthy
I agree with this.
I think Quins won the tackle contest, and White was far too slow in support and under pressure and hence the poor entry of particularly the 2nd white support player.

With Quins one hand on the ball the entire time and only momentary hand on the ground and gets it onto the ball simultaneously as the ruck forms is ok and attempts to lift then he can continue to jackal.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I saw an analysis after the SA-Aus matches last summer (I forget which NH refs were involved) that NH and especially premiership refs focus on defenders at the breakdown - quick release, clear away and on feet to challenge - and that that was what scuppered SA, who like to slow things down to keep their formidable defence aligned. They do this (apparently) because it leads to faster, more free-flowing games. SH refs look more (as it seems here) for individual positive contest, either way. So it may be a cultural difference.
Personally I'd never be reffing at this level :p but would probably ping it.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting article and also goes a long way to explain why English premiership games are more entertaining of late. Some are still saying this is due to lack of relegation leading to more expansive rugby however I think the conscious effort by referees to reward the attacking side and not allow defences to slow the game down is a more important factor. I have been guilty on occasions of thinking referees have blown too quickly for holding on but the bigger picture is it seems to create a faster, more entertaining, product and creates gaps in defences in a more natural and efficient way that, say the 50:22 law. Interesting to note also the widespread attention and media coverage gained by Irelands average ruck speed against Wales of 2.78 seconds although also of note was that Scotland's was the slowest of all the nations at 4.46 seconds and it didnt seem to do them any harm.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Interesting to note also the widespread attention and media coverage gained by Irelands average ruck speed against Wales of 2.78 seconds although also of note was that Scotland's was the slowest of all the nations at 4.46 seconds and it didnt seem to do them any harm.
Now THAT is a fascinating statistic!

DAK where such stats are easily finadable (eg without trawling through multiple long winded newspaper reports?)