WOW!!! Good job SW!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes. Well done.

I only have one moment I thought was clear and obvious. At 2:20 #11 blue looked like he was tackled by black #22...definitely both went to ground and 22 remained holding 11, but 11 just gets up and continues. Surely that's tackled and he had to release the ball before continuing? I was surprised he wasn't pinged. I know it was all quick and momentum but I think chief could feel hard done by (lucky blue didn't go on to score).

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yeah, what he said up there, 2.20, hands up who would have given a PK there?

And don't try the "advantage" thing :wink:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely you would then be pinging the tackler for not releasing, not the ball carrier?

Material affect? No, play on.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm watching the match now...SW is in top form IMO. they are getting some rugby in...I will say that much.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue 11 was up and going before 22 could release!

Not material? Really? Getting up from a fair tackle and running 30+ metres is not material? You tell that to the players. I don't think I can agree with you. Chiefs defence was coming. Maybe they would not have forced the turnover but blues would not have made those vital metres.

I will put my hand up and say I would have pinged it. But I'm an officious *******!

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Live I thought it was a clear penalty to Black for not releasing or passing the ball as a tackled player. It was a hell of a free flowing game though so I can kind of understand why it was let go (plus SW was probably having trouble keeping up!)

Personally I think this held/not held business is one of the laws that should be altered. I would just change it to say that if you go to ground with the ball you must release the ball and get back to your feet before playing it again. As it now stands there is an incentive for the tackler to hold onto the tackled player after the tackle is made, lest the tacklee be able to simply get up and start running.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Steve Walsh just watched and played some easy advantages.

Interestingly his speed off the mark was terrible, do you think his Assesor picked him up for it?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why is this good reffing?

(It is a breathtaking (less?) passage of play not sure why it's good reffing?)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Some excellent player skills and continuity, but Walsh struggled for pace and was slow off the mark at times.

The 22metree tackle on Gear was a Tackle2 offence in my opinion - non-release of ball by tackled player whilst held. Tackle1 was carried out correctly (tackler release) but it was all happened so quickly.

Look forward to SW at Millennium for the England match - it can only benefit Wales, but not in all pink please.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
But yet always in a position to see, so does pace off the mark matter, or is it a white elephant.

If you watch Simon referee its a white elephant :pepper:and me come to that!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you watch Simon referee its a white elephant :pepper:and me come to that!

fair cop Womble - I am more like a Tellytubby !

Andy - as for SW I am not sure he was in position to see first offence at every contact, just most

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree

- - - Updated - - -

Why?.

SW is not England's favourite referee (nor England SW's fav national team), and there have been a number of conflicts of opinion / interpretation.
SW style is relaxed and trying to keep the game flowing, so will suit the Welsh rather than the English :biggrin:
SW was refereeing the last time we beat the English (I think) :wales:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
SW was refereeing the last time we beat the English (I think)
He has refereed England/Wales 4 times. Two England wins (2003, 2011) and two Wales wins (2005, 2012).

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm hoping it's the same as 2000.

Sco beat Wales, Wales beat Eng, Sco wins tournament on points diff.

It's possible!

(Albeit quite far fetched for me still, as we have Wales before France, who will be desperate to salvage a win).

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I didn't watch any super rugby last season...I'm hooked now...very clean rugby and SW made me a believer again...scrums stay up and not too much cynical play eg - laying all over the contact area...no wonder top 3 world rankings are the way they are!

entertaining and clean...

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I didn't watch any super rugby last season...I'm hooked now...very clean rugby and SW made me a believer again...scrums stay up and not too much cynical play eg - laying all over the contact area...no wonder top 3 world rankings are the way they are!

entertaining and clean...

Just a heads up; Don't catch a replay of Steve Walsh's next game, the Reds v Hurricanes. You will never see a more dire, error laden and frustrating abortion of a game. Even the winning team's supporter's left feeling cheated.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
damo....I will check it out...I was wondering to myself about just "how" good he is...

I'm not finding that match up...are you sure that's the correct sides?

Last edited: