WR clarification 2/22

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and guess what we will see at approximately 14:16 tomorrow ?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The law has always been there but players have rarely been penalised for it. At least this highlights the law so (hopefully) player won’t be surprised when it is penalised more frequently in future.

FWIW in the 1st clip that ball wasn’t out of the ruck anyway!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
and guess what we will see at approximately 14:16 tomorrow ?
It actually only came out because the 6 Nations/players/coaches asked the question on Monday. They thought an urgent response was necessary for Saturday! Makes you wonder why they can’t show as much urgency with other more important issues/concerns in relation to law.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
FWIW in the 1st clip that ball wasn’t out of the ruck anyway!
And the second one had a blue/white bloke in from the side after being (marginally) offside and then red scrum cap jumps on the ball from an offside position. Why do they pick events like this where the entire example is full of other possible PK's or sanctions?

Last edited:

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And the second one had a blue/white bloke in from the side. Why do they pick events like this where the entire example is full of other possible PK's or sanctions?
Next law clarification should be a question asking if the half back is entitled to stand beside the ruck and use his feet like that

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
And the second one had a blue/white bloke in from the side after being (marginally) offside and then red scrum cap jumps on the ball from an offside position. Why do they pick events like this where the entire example is full of other possible PK's or sanctions?
because it's really hard to find examples ... it's very rare, and I don't imagine it's something they have previosuly indexed on all the video analysis they have.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It actually only came out because the 6 Nations/players/coaches asked the question on Monday. They thought an urgent response was necessary for Saturday! Makes you wonder why they can’t show as much urgency with other more important issues/concerns in relation to law.
yes, but perhaps recently we have seen a new approach, with referee managers quickly raising questions direct to WR and quick responses.
.. which will be brilliant.

But rather than the new convention being hidden in the clarifications, I wish that they would rather
- make an immediate change to the Law book ("must not dive on a ball that is near to the ruck it has just left" .. or something like that)
- and the clarification would then become just the background and explanation of why the change was made for anyone interested.

This way people wouldn't need to hold all the clarifications in their heads, and everyone would need just ONE document - the Law Book

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So if the ball comes out and is within 1m, players can't fall on the ball. Happy with that.

What can they do?
Presumably pick it up or kick it are the only other options?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kick it might be risky as the 9 will simultaneously be trying to pick it up.. so risk of a PK for dangerous play ..

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Perhaps try and pick it up or make a tackle instead. You can still target the ball.

Over the years, I had assumed 1m was standard for most things.

JohnP

Post Likes
I am right that this is not a new law but has always been there. I recall it being applied in a England 6 nations game quite a few years ago, possibly 5 yrs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am right that this is not a new law but has always been there. I recall it being applied in a England 6 nations game quite a few years ago, possibly 5 yrs.
It has added precision to a Law that was previously imprecise

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As others have said - this law hasnt really been applied for quite a number of years (ironically I was thinking about this law and wondered why it isn't deleted as Ive never seen anyone PK it).

This is going to be a real 'gotcha' in community land! (certainly in these parts downunder!)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Considering this is a clarification, and the law is an existing one, even worse that the referee signals play on in both examples.