[Law] Wrong? definition of Tackled Player - time to redefine Tackler?

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
[FONT=fs_blakeregular, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]While discussing no-tackler tackle situations, I have just found the definition of Tackled player might be not correct for allowing such situations, or the situation might just not allowed.

According to the 2019 (and before) World Rugby Law Book, tackle related terms are defined as follows:
Tackle: The method of holding a ball-carrier and bringing that player to ground.​
Tackled player: A ball-carrier who is held and taken to ground by a tackler or tacklers.​
Tackler: An opposition player who holds the tackled player and goes to ground.​

I believe a BC can become a tackled player even only with a standing opposition player who hold the tackler player and brought him to the ground.

So a correct definition would be something like:

Tackled player: A ball-carrier who is held and taken to ground by one or more opposition players.​

Any thoughts?

Apart from this, maybe it is time to redefine "Tackler" more naturally back to include those on their stand. Of course we need to amend many places in the law book related to the word - e.g. a standing tackler and a tackler on the ground, etc.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Why? The standing player is already covered (14.4.c.1) and has different rights and responsibilities in law (14.8) than the tackler who goes to ground, it would I think be more confusing to rewrite the laws.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with suggestion, the current definition says that wherever there is a tackled player , there are also tacklers.

Which, as we know , is not the case

The suggested change would make things clearer

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi Mich-san & welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't get too tangled up in definitions. The law book uses the word "tackle" in different contexts eg dangerous tackle eventhough not technically a tackle.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Maybe. I just found more commonality between tackler and other players except for a few privileges to tacklers.

For the "tackler" redefinition, I meant changing from:

14-4. Players in a tackle are:
a. Tackled player.
b. Tackler(s).
c. Others:
i Player(s) who hold the ball-carrier during a tackle but do not go to ground.
i Player(s) who arrive to contest possession in the tackle.
ii Player(s) who are already on the ground.
(Current)​

to something like:

14-4. Players in a tackle are:
a. Tackled player.
b. Tackler(s).
i Player(s) who hold the ball-carrier during a tackle and go to ground. (Standing Tackler)
ii Player(s) who hold the ball-carrier during a tackle but do not go to ground. (Tackler on the ground)
c. Others:
i Player(s) who arrive to contest possession in the tackle.
ii Player(s) who are already on the ground.
(Suggestion)​

for making "tacklers" naturally mean those who cause a tackle situation.

Regarding the commonality, you may go through 14-5, 6 and 8 to just see them.

14-5. Tacklers must:
a. Immediately release the ball and the ball-carrier after both players go to ground.
=> "Immediately release the ball and the ball-carrier " - common to tacklers and other players.
b. Immediately move away from the tackled player and from the ball or get up.
=> common to tacklers and other players on the ground near the tackle, while not explicitly stated for other players
c. Be on their feet before attempting to play the ball.
=> common to players on the ground
d. Allow the tackled player to release or play the ball.
e. Allow the tackled player to move away from the ball.
=> for d and e, common to tacklers and other players, while not explicitly stated for other players

14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.
=> a privilege to tackler ("Tacklers" can be rephrased to "Tacklers on the ground" in the redefined terms.)

14-8. Other players must:
a. Remain on their feet and release the ball and the ball-carrier immediately.
=> "release the ball and the ball-carrier immediately" - common to tacklers and other players
b. Remain on their feet when they play the ball.
=> for a and b, "Remain on their feet" - obligation to standing players but common to tacklers and other players
c. Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.
=> obligation to non tacklers (in contrast to 14-6)
d. Not play the ball or attempt to tackle an opponent while on the ground near the tackle.
=> common to tacklers and other players on the ground, while not explicitly stated for tacklers

Sorry for lengthy explanation. ;->

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi Mich-san & welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't get too tangled up in definitions. The law book uses the word "tackle" in different contexts eg dangerous tackle eventhough not technically a tackle.

Thanks for the warm welcome and so quick responses, which are amazing!

Right for illegal tackles... I believe tackled players and tacklers in the law always have special meanings for their obligations and rights to be ruled, which is why they need to be defined. :->

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Mich, you seem to be of the opinion that tacklers can still play the ball from the direction of their own goal line after regaining their feet. This is incorrect.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Given that 14.1 is

For a tackle to occur, the ball-carrier is held and brought to ground by one or more opponents,

I don't think there is any ambiguity worth worrying about. As a newbie that stuff is easy to understand (compared, for example to the offside laws..)

I also thought a tackler could play the ball after regaining their feet but the recent law change means they have to now go through the gate, whereas before they could play the ball from any direction once they have released the tackled player and got back on their feet.

Law quote:

"Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed."

Quite happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood this.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Tacklers privilege (Re: Wrong? definition of Tackled Player

Mich, you seem to be of the opinion that tacklers can still play the ball from the direction of their own goal line after regaining their feet. This is incorrect.

Yeah. I remember we used to rule that way last year with a trial rule - tacklers also need to reenter from the gate or alike. The 2019 law seems not written in that way.

Before:
14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from any direction provided they have complied with the
above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.
(2018)​
After:
14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have​
complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.
(2019)​

This is different from:
14-8c. Other players must arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.
(2018 and 2019)​

2019 law doesn't require a tackler to reenter from the gate. It just prohibits tacklers to play from the other side.

I was not aware till it was told by my colleagues... ;-> Correct me if this interpretation is wrong.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Re: Tacklers privilege (Re: Wrong? definition of Tackled Player

2019 law doesn't require a tackler to reenter from the gate. It just prohibits tacklers to play from the other side.

Maybe an off-the-thread topic but what do you guys think on this?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]
Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed/LAWS]

This was a change made in 2017 or 18 I think

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Mich, welcome. It is good to see a few folks from the land of the rising sun taking an interest.

Whilst I see the issue you raise, as noted above the main requirement fora tackle considers opponents and not tacklers. In the past the definition of tackler (ie going to ground) was important as they had rights to go for the ball from any direction once back on their feet. However, this is no longer permitted, they have, like other players, to play from the direction of their own goal line.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Now I have found the amendment trial.

Global Law Trials 2017 (Aug 2017 for South, Jan 2018 for North) https://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=20&language=EN

Law 15
Amended Tackle 15.4 (c)
The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their side of the tackle gate.

It had overridden the 2017 and 2018 laws but has been fixed and integrated into the 2019 law. A famous one is Amended Ruck Law (aka one-man ruck), which has been fixed to so-called TWOL (Tackle With Offside Line) to explicitly allow use of hands.

The amendment might have been fixed and integrated as:

14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.
(2019)

which was originally:

14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from any direction provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.
(2018)

The 2019 law just prohibits tacklers to play from the other side, but does not enforce the tacklers to go through a tackle gate.

Please correct me if wrong.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[FONT=&][FONT=&]The 2019 law just prohibits tacklers to play from the other side, but does not enforce the tacklers to go through a tackle gate.

Please correct me if wrong.[/FONT][/FONT]

I'm not sure if you're pedantically playing with words (has been known on this forum) or genuinely confused, so let me ask you this: in your mind, what is the difference between "playing from the other side" and "not coming through the tackle gate"?

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I am seriously confused. In fact, a senior referee told us so in front of many referees. And, I agree with his (and high-probably senior referees consensus on) interpretation and practicing of the law.

For tacklers, it is about playing a ball, not arriving at a tackle.

Tacklers' priviledge:

14-6. Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided ...

is different from other players obligation:

14-8c. Other players must arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am seriously confused. In fact, a senior referee told us so in front of many referees. And, I agree with his (and high-probably senior referees consensus on) interpretation and practicing of the law.

For tacklers, it is about playing a ball, not arriving at a tackle.

Tacklers' priviledge:

is different from other players obligation:

well, the tackler isn't going to arrive at the tackle as he/she is already there.

It's pretty simple. Any player (tackler or arriving player) who wants to compete at the tackle (pick up the ball, create a ruck, etc) must do so on their feet & with their own goal line behind them.

I'm unclear on the confusion.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This has never occured to me before , but

A tackler who ends up on the wrong side of the ball could get to his feet , step back over the ball, and then play it

A non tackler from a similar starting point would need to exit the tackle area and run round to come through the gate

So perhaps that is what mich is driving at

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This has never occured to me before , but

A tackler who ends up on the wrong side of the ball could get to his feet , step back over the ball, and then play it

A non tackler from a similar starting point would need to exit the tackle area and run round to come through the gate

So perhaps that is what mich is driving at

Jeez, I'd have to see it. If he stepped over the ball with the tackled player remaining closer to the tackler's goal line? I'd be unlikley to accept that.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Tacklers are always in the tackle box by definition.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]a. tacklers behind the ball (thus closer to their goal line)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]b. tacklers in front of the ball (thus closer to opponents goal line)[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Some people in this thread think that even tacklers a) need to go through the gate. The 2017 Amendments Trial might say so. The 2019 law doesn’t.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]For b), it is not clear from the law but I suppose it is the convention to rule that they need to go through the gate.[/FONT][/FONT]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[FONT="][FONT="]Tacklers are always in the tackle box by definition.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT="][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT="]a. tacklers behind the ball (thus closer to their goal line)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT="]b. tacklers in front of the ball (thus closer to opponents goal line)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT="][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT="]Some people in this thread think that even tacklers a) need to go through the gate. The 2017 Amendments Trial might say so. The 2019 law doesn’t.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT="][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT="]For b), it is not clear from the law but I suppose it is the convention to rule that they need to go through the gate.[/FONT][/FONT]

For (a), if he releases the tackled player and gets to his feet, he can play the ball without moving anywhere.
For (b), he needs to release, get to his feet and move to the other side of the tackle.