[Law] Wrong? definition of Tackled Player - time to redefine Tackler?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For (a), if he releases the tackled player and gets to his feet, he can play the ball without moving anywhere.
For (b), he needs to release, get to his feet and move to the other side of the tackle.

Yes but I can see mich point , they don't have to leave the tackle and come back in through the gate

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was marked down in an assessment this year for not picking up on the tackler not coming through the gate, although he was playing the ball from his side.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was marked down in an assessment this year for not picking up on the tackler not coming through the gate, although he was playing the ball from his side.

That's interesting.. how did it happen, what did it look like ?

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Ouch. Really confused. But great to see the fact that your exam follows the 2017 Amendment. Hmmm...

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
That's interesting.. how did it happen, what did it look like ?

The #7 was captain and clearly the best player in the team. He'd tackle, then press-up and twist round so he was standing over the BC, facing their DBL, reaching forward to grab the ball that had been placed - all within the tackle area. I felt he was the tackler and approaching from behind the ball, but the assessor was looking for a clear approach through the gate and step over.

Given it happened 8 or 9 times, it was marked down as a significant point of improvement. Fortunately the only one, the assessment was otherwise good :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting, so he was clearly expecting the referee to be ok with that technique .. so I assume they normally are

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The #7 was captain and clearly the best player in the team. He'd tackle, then press-up and twist round so he was standing over the BC, facing their DBL, reaching forward to grab the ball that had been placed - all within the tackle area. I felt he was the tackler and approaching from behind the ball, but the assessor was looking for a clear approach through the gate and step over.

Given it happened 8 or 9 times, it was marked down as a significant point of improvement. Fortunately the only one, the assessment was otherwise good :)

I would be looking to ensure that when he stood up he was not standing over the ball carrier in effect preventing him from getting up, that there was a clear an obvious separation from the player before trying to play the ball and that when he reached over to grab the ball that he remained on his feet, but if he did that I am not going to expect him to back up and come in through the gate, but it is a bit of judgement whether he was OK to play the ball or should have stepped back a bit more!

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

He (#7) might have been considered not tackler as standing and not weighing (to be supported) enough on the tackled player on the ground?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I would be looking to ensure that when he stood up he was not standing over the ball carrier in effect preventing him from getting up

Are you saying... you have to let him up, ref? ;)

For clarity, in my case he was releasing (not releasing is a different call from not coming through the gate, after all), he wasn't interfering with the BC placing the ball, and he was on his feet. Just pressing up with his hands and bringing himself to his feet in the tackle zone, not behind it and coming in.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes but I can see mich point , they don't have to leave the tackle and come back in through the gate

They are not required to "leave" the tackle area (if we take the definition of remaining 'leaving' to be over 1m from the tackle zone, but they do have to retire to their own side.

Up until the end of the 2017/2018 season a tackler could get to his feet and play the ball from any direction. This was changed in WR rewrite of the tackle/ruck fiasco caused by Italy against England in that year's 6N.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Are you saying... you have to let him up, ref? ;)

No, I am saying he is not allowed to not let him up, but if he has done all that you say, then he has rights to the ball. But he has to let the tackled player up to then be able to return the compliment of a tackle.

mich

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
They are not required to "leave" the tackle area (if we take the definition of remaining 'leaving' to be over 1m from the tackle zone, but they do have to retire to their own side.

Up until the end of the 2017/2018 season a tackler could get to his feet and play the ball from any direction. This was changed in WR rewrite of the tackle/ruck fiasco caused by Italy against England in that year's 6N.

I think it was for TWOL (f.a.k.a. one-man ruck).

Anyway, ruling (as specified in the 2019 low) is no more same as the 2017 Low Amendment Trial:
Amended Tackle 15.4 (c)
The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their side of the tackle gate.

Let me try to summarize assuming this fixed law amendment is correct.

Tacklers at the other side should go around the ball and tackled player, but not necessarily being out of tackle (tackle box sides made by themselves and its tackle box gate), to come to its goal line side before playing the ball. Also, he/she should not interfere opponents (but should role away in this case) while standing and returning to his side.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mich, it is a really good spot

What they trialled

[LAWS]The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their side of the tackle gate.[/LAWS]
But at the end of the trial, what they actually put in the Law Book was different ..

[LAWS]Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line[/LAWS]

It's (yet another) example of a change introduced in the Laws without flagging it to anyone .

@RichNL depending upon when that game was was, your assessor might have been right ? The trial lasted from Sept 2017 to Sept 18 I think

Last edited: