WWE

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Historical evidence makes it pretty certain that WWE did not convert Rugby football from a kicking game to a handling one, but he is nonetheless a Person Of Interest, so I have been searching the relevant nineteenth censuses for more information about him. No luck at all!

We know from other sources that in 1841 he was Chaplain of St George's Albemarle Street, London; 1851 he was Rector of St Clement Dane's in the Strand; 1861 he was Rector of St Mary's Magdalen Laver in Essex. He was in the latter post from 1855 to 1870 and it is presumed that he then left for France for health reasons, since he died in Menton in 1872.

Magdalen Laver was a fairly small place in 1861, so I trawled through the census returns for the whole village - 214 people in 42 houses. Living in The Old rectory was Thomas Robinson, occupation: Curate of Magdalen Laver. No mention of a house called The Rectory, nor of anyone identified as the Rector.

WWE might well have been elsewhere on the relevant census night, so I checked local villages - the current incumbent serves several benefices, so I started checking them as well. This turned up Rectors of Fyfield, Moreton, Willingale Spain, Matching, High Laver (plus a curate), Little Laver, Abbotts Roothing, and Bobbingworth.

I did find a few families called Ellis, but it is a fairly common name and almost certainly coincidental.

Crockfords Clerical Directory only started in 1968 and the Lambeth Palace Library gave only one brief reference confirming WWE's dates 1806-72. The Library is closed at present (due to moves that started before the lockdown.

Ian Fleming wrote
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.

Does that apply to missing three consecutive censuses?!

Anyone have any bright ideas for further research?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
is there any verifiable clai to anybody being a descendant of WWE that coud be approached?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
is there any verifiable clai to anybody being a descendant of WWE that coud be approached?
He never married.

He had an older brother, Thomas, who also attended Rugby School, but I can't find him.

According to Jennifer Macrory's "Running with the Ball", his widowed mother Ann Ellis came to live with him while he was Rector at St Clement Dane's, but I can't find her either. She died while he was there and he put up a memorial to her, part of which Macrory quotes, but Wikipedia does not find it. The memorial was destroyed when the church was bombed in the war.

Very frustrating.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've just (re)discovered the Westminster Rate Books. Rev William Webb Ellis lived at 9 Milford Lane, St Clement Danes from 1840 to 1850, which doesn't fit with the date he arrived in Magdalen Laver (1855) according to their records.

Unfortunately I haven't yet figured out how to search by address in the census records.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi OB, my 86 year old Devonian mother in law wanted to find out about her and her (deceased) husband's ancestors.

I used ancestry.co.uk free 14 day trial and got quite far back before having to start paying monthly subscription. I used for 12 months and managed to get back to 15th Century on her side.

The search engine works in the background and pops up "leaves" which are possible links.

Another suggested free database is the National Archives. Enjoy, I found it fascinating.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
We do know he played cricket.

He was in Oxford team for the first Varsity match scoring 12 bowled by the Cambridge captain Jenner.
Oxford made 258 before Charles Wordsworth (William' nephew) ran through Cambridge with his spin - Cambridge were all out for 92.
Fortunately rain prevented play on the second day, so Cambridge escaped with a draw.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Should have said batting at number three for Oxford.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi OB, my 86 year old Devonian mother in law wanted to find out about her and her (deceased) husband's ancestors.

I used ancestry.co.uk free 14 day trial and got quite far back before having to start paying monthly subscription. I used for 12 months and managed to get back to 15th Century on her side.

The search engine works in the background and pops up "leaves" which are possible links.

Another suggested free database is the National Archives. Enjoy, I found it fascinating.

My son did that. My Great Great Grandmother's brother was hanged in Newcastle Gaol for murdering his wife - it's grim up North. Fascinating stuff indeed.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

I've mainly been using findmypast. I have just tried Ancestry's free trial but it still seems impossible to search census returns by street address.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've mainly been using findmypast. I have just tried Ancestry's free trial but it still seems impossible to search census returns by street address.

From memory you enter as much personal data as you know e.g. mother, father, siblings etc. then leave it to the search engine e.g. 12 hours. It will work in background and send you email alerts with "leaves". Some of these will be census data (I received quite a few).

Sorry I can't help you search census returns OB but I think it will serve up some helpful nuggets of the next 14 days.

Look forward to reading results of your digging.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
One presumes that Rugby School have no records in their alumni?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A minor success: I have now found WWE in the 1841 census. I had forgotten that the 1841 census was the first one to record individual details, and for some reason they decided to round down the ages of all adults. WW Ellis is such a common name that I had been using his date of birth to reduce the answers to a manageable level. He was listed a Revd WW Ellis, Clergyman at 8 Grafton Street, which is just off Albemarle Street where he was chaplain.

For the 1851 census I thought I was in better shape. I found him in the Westminster Rate Books as Rev. William Webb Ellis of 9 Milford Lane, St Clement Danes subdivision. Things were a bit confused by the presence of another William Ellis nearby. The census returns went from 8 Milford Lane to 10 Milford Lane, proving that he was elsewhere on the relevant night.

Those Rate Books also show that he left Milton Lane around 1850. He did not start in Magdalen Laver until 1855, so I am still at a loss for the 1861 Census.