YC even though they scored?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue are have a period of intense attack in the Gold 22

Blue Ruck .. 3m out from the gold line, ball comes back and ... just as the 9 goes to pass ... A gold 'lazy runner' comes back precisely through the blue 9 / 10 channel, and 9 can't get pass away

I signal and shout advantage, thinking "that's going to be a YC"

But then blue 9 passes the other way, and, after another tackle, and ruck blue score

So Q: come back and YC the gold player anyway? Or seeing as blue have scored do we forget the YC

What do we think ? What are the factors to consider?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Eeeeh.
Well, I thinbk the obvious ones are:
  • Is there an obvious pattern of behaviour observable, or is this a one off by the player or team?
  • Was the try scored in a worse position than it might otherwise have been?
  • What's the general tone of the game?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes, I've often wondered the same. If an offence is YC-worthy then logic suggests that a subsequent try should be irrelevant. But, foul play aside, that's not generally what happens.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yes, I've often wondered the same. If an offence is YC-worthy then logic suggests that a subsequent try should be irrelevant. But, foul play aside, that's not generally what happens.
Indeed.
Frankly, I dont see why that otherwise-would-be-a-YC wouldnt be one in reality. YCs are as much about sending a message as the actual card.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I remember a game where Wayne Barnes said near the goal line during play "he's going in the bin whatever happens" for cynical play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i know we've discussed variations before, but I think it's always interesting

I didn't issue a YC.

My thinking was that the reason that the offence merited a YC in the first place was that is was exactly because it was intended to shut down a good try-scoring opportunity. But then they scored anyway, so it wasn't shut down .

But I am prepared to also accept the WB maxim above, and perhaps I should have -- I certainly could have

Context : it was a good natured game, I issued no YC at all in the game, and the particular player was not a repeat offender, and was not on any type of warning - and indeed neither were the team.

(he was on a warning after that though!)