YC per game

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
22 Matches 21Y, 5R. One game (my seniors debut between the future grand finalists) with 2Y & 2R and another with 2Y and 1R. Another two RC in a juniors match where a guy subbed on, played two phases in defence and then decided to be the enforcer and drag a player out of a ruck and punch him on the ground, then retaliated against. The joys of Tasmanian rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's clear that one odd game can skewthis statistic quite a lot

It's one of those unusual averages where the mode is probably more informative than the mean

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
no more than 6 cynical or 'red zone' offences in 23 games, must be a cracking standard of discipline.

Perhaps his preventative management is just more effective?

I must say, you lot over there love to dish out your cards...averaging over 1 per game could suggest that you could;
a) not use enough preventative management/communication,
b) be trigger happy
c) have players that don't read the tell tale warnings given to them
d) players I'll disciplined (or stupid) damned what the referee does, or
e) all of the above

I think in my 22 odd games last season I had only 8 YC and 6 of those were in one game! (A cold sub zero night game that I'm sure they wanted a rest to warm up under a blanket for 10mins!)

Last edited:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
10 games in the middle for me so far this season (1 National One, 2 A league, 1 B&I Cup, 1 LV Cup and 5 Championship). 14 yellow cards. As mentioned above, this is skewed by three games containing 3 YCs. The mode is 1 (with 0 not far behind).

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps his preventative management is just more effective?

Can you prevent cynical play?

Maybe, maybe the teams are better disciplined, maybe he misses lots, perhaps his tolerance for deliberate offences are higher? Who knows.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Crossref, I've thought about this and there are too many variables to form any meaningful stats ...
- experience/influence of captains
- demographics / locality of oppositions
- testosterone production

Ref's or players'?

- score/ competitiveness

The list goes on, I don't track, but average x2 per match wouldnt be a surprise to me

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Verbs per 'sentence': 0.333 (recurring). My verbs in this post: 0. Silliness quotient: high. My verbiage in this post: less than usual.

Errmm - "recurring" is a verb.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Heres how figures can easily be affected .....

Backdrop is ive only issued x2 rc in last x2 seasons.
Yesterdays uni match , great game, fast competitive, players responding, incident free match ,

then on 67mins blue is trying to pull yellow out of a maul, yellow gives out a ' horse kick' that catches blue in the "best mate" area ! , as I whistle, blue takes a swinging kick back at gold and both engage in punching.

X2 RC and the rest of the game continues completely incident free again.

My assessor said it was "the best game he'd seen this season", his half time advice to me was "nothing to say other than - keep it going as it is "

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
22 Matches 21Y, 5R. One game (my seniors debut between the future grand finalists) with 2Y & 2R and another with 2Y and 1R. Another two RC in a juniors match where a guy subbed on, played two phases in defence and then decided to be the enforcer and drag a player out of a ruck and punch him on the ground, then retaliated against. The joys of Tasmanian rugby.

5RC in one season. Wow! Is this the result of sending all our thugs/criminals/low life out to Oz some time ago?

I've only given 2RCs in 30 years.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
5RC in one season. Wow! Is this the result of sending all our thugs/criminals/low life out to Oz some time ago?

I've only given 2RCs in 30 years.

I did 3 games last year (before being injured) and gave 2RCs. :wow:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
no more than 6 cynical or 'red zone' offences in 23 games, must be a cracking standard of discipline.

I said 'I think'. I'd have to go through my reports but I only remember 6.

It may be closer to 10-12 but I definitely know I had a run of about 6 games in a row where I didn't give any. If you are giving out lots of YC then your management needs work IMO.

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
1 game can definitely skew the stats - I've had 1 game with 7 YC and 4 RC (A few years ago!).

This season - In 6 games:
3 RC (2 fairly nailed on dissent, 1 for biting)
And 5 or 6 of YCs - but 4 of those in 1 game (2 different fights off the ball and/or after the whistle, others for things like tripping), 1 player from either side went each time). But we also have white cards (think yellow, but for technical faults - no fine, no need to report and 2 white = 1 yellow) - and use these fairly quickly for repeat offences a "normal game" probably use 1 or possibly 2 for repeat offences despite taking the usual ATP steps. Captain understand and accept them - they are never a surprise to anyone - they always know what is coming.

Lack of management? Possibly, but also consider level of the refs each week. So it can also be due to other refs letting stuff (like dissent go) so when you actually try to manage it (and expect/need them to change), the players aren't used to it.
Also down to skill level of players (and language skills) - to react. I would say (generally) most my cards (+75%) are down to stupidity of the player (doing something needless, and obvious - stamping on a player in a ruck, who has already moved away from the ball).
And sometimes players just aren't good enough, or don't want to comply. And some players still have the "we might lose the game, but we won't lose the fight" mentality.

Anyone thinks they can not give cards in some games - you are welcome to come and visit the land where the French Spirit meets the Italian Passion, in a land stuck in the past, where Soccer influences the coaches, players and spectators.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In 12 years of refereeing twice and sometimes three times a week at level 6-15 for adults and youth, male and female I gave three red cards - all for serious foul play (use of boot, punching, and neck stiff arm tackle).

I have no records of my yellow cards but know it was a rare event when I refereed. My refereeing philosophy is to use preventative management and effective communications - so an objective of minimal PKs let alone YCs, with clear consistent escalation to warnings - which should be effective.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The way you put it in your original comment, there appeared to be a causal relationship between your giving RCs and your injury.

Ah yes - no. Haha!

I only did 3 games before my back went (again) however in those 3 games I had 2 RCs. Which in terms of what we're talking about is a mad ratio of RCs/game. Coincidentally of the two players concerned one shared my first name and the other my surname. Even more bizarre the first 3 people I ever sent off were all called Simon!!!

Certain games and/or a small sample can skew results quite severely.

I have issued about 1-2 RC per season since I started.

My RC ratio went up after 2011 on the back of Rolland/Warburton/Tip Tackle/Secret Memo - that also coincided with my elevation to Level 8.

3 RCs in one game is my best/worst!! Ironically no Tip Tackles just thuggery and dickheadedness.

Last edited:

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
My first season in 2012 saw 7 red cards. Apparently a society record, although I boast not and am not proud of it. Thinking back as a more experienced ref I still reckon that 6 of them were reds even now. Suspect that on the basis of "As a referee I am my brothers keeper" a number of previous refs at such lowly levels felt it ok to put up with the verbal abuse. Apparently the top reason for new refs not continuing.

Two reds this year, one for two yellows of dissent and one for a stamp from a thug I warned last year when he clearly had taken out a player way after the whistle but I did not see it.

My season average at the moment one yellow every two games.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My first season in 2012 saw 7 red cards. Apparently a society record, although I boast not and am not proud of it. Thinking back as a more experienced ref I still reckon that 6 of them were reds even now. Suspect that on the basis of "As a referee I am my brothers keeper" a number of previous refs at such lowly levels felt it ok to put up with the verbal abuse. Apparently the top reason for new refs not continuing.

Two reds this year, one for two yellows of dissent and one for a stamp from a thug I warned last year when he clearly had taken out a player way after the whistle but I did not see it.

My season average at the moment one yellow every two games.

7 reds in a season is quite amazing - was it lack of training, inappropriate refereeing techniques, was it the right management and empathy ?

You indicate verbal abuse and that rings alarm bells for me - what is or is not acceptable ?
Are your expectations in line with general Game standards ?
Do you manage by confrontation or mutual respect and compliance ?

As you say referee abuse is the main reason for lack of referee retention / high turnover - we know that from our own Society exit interviews, and from other Society and RFU research undertaken over a number of seasons.

Many CBs and Societies have active and regular policies & campaigns to remove referee abuse from the touchlines.