YC per game

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suspect the 7 reds were a combination of a lot of things linked together. In no particular order..........

desire to be firm and start as I mean to go on
missed a lot of aggro off the ball,so players took it into their own hands
missed breakdown offences so ditto........
quite a few local derbys......feelings rather high
yes, inexperience from me in terms of managing before an issue, of course.......
and also not being in the right position, or being in their way!

The reds were as I Recall........

1. Punch from number 8 coming into massive handbags.....he ran in about 5 metres........certainly not the only punch thrown that day, but the only one I saw!

2. Winger who shouted out "F**k off ref that's rubbish"

3. Centre from the same match about twenty seconds later who told me "I couldn't referee f****g tiddlywinks"

4. Outside half who pushed me out of the way (in his defence I was in his way!) with the words "will you get out of the f****g way now"

5. Straight punch to head of heavily Tattood centre to scrum half who had been winding him up

6. Replacement for university game who came in from about half a mile to land a punch on a head

7. Spectator who came to join in handbags and nicely landed a good lunch right in front of me

On reflection a few of those would not have happened this year as I would have discovered the issue before it became a problem.

Although i was very aware through touch judging and speaking to fellow refs that a lot of them ignore the swearing to them and just allow play to continue. Have to say that with the paperwork involved a number of them have clearly told me they can't be bothered.....but again "I am my brothers keeper.........."

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've only given 2RCs in 30 years.
. :wtf:.

Aside from the fact that RC weren't used 30 years ago!, all I can say is you've been very very very lucky to :

a) Get appointed to matches devoid of incident warranting a RC
b) have been looking elsewhere when the incidents did occur
C) have avoided the paperwork associated with red cards by only deeming any incidents worthy of a yellow card.
D) have gained such an intolerant of foul play reputation.

Did you play front row by any chance??? :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Aside from the fact that RC weren't used 30 years ago!, all I can say is you've been very very very lucky to :

C) have avoided the paperwork associated with red cards by only deeming any incidents worthy of a yellow card.

As Stuartg is a L 8 referee all four of the above will not be the case - he has proven and objectively assessed management and observational skills.

As I said in an earlier post I can only recall giving RC three times since 2000 at an average of 30-40 matches per season from L6-15.

In Hamphire CB last year out of 2,000 matches approx 25 RC were given in total.

I can only one RC in the L5 matches I have observed over the last four seasons - approx 50 matches.

As for 30 years ago, indeed we did not have RCs but we did have dismissals and on Wednesday at the London 125 years Dinner I saw two of their members who gave me marching orders in the 1970s 80s as an unfairly persecuted #9 protecting himself against bullying back rows.:biggrin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
dickheadedness.

New word alert...soon to be written into law 10
[LAWS](l) Dickheadedness. A player must not be a dickhead, or dickheaded towards an opponent, player or match official.
Sanction: RC[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

:

actually, given that many incidents result in more than one card, the interesting statistic would be how many games / 2000 resulted in a card.

It might be that only 15-20 games created the 25 RC. So less that one game in a 100 involves a RC.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
At the start of the season I was 0 yellows from 4 games (3xL6 exchange, 1xL7 cup).

I am now 18 yellows from 10 games (2xL5, 1xL6 cup, 2xL6, 1xL7).

Wayne Barnes wrote an excellent article a few seasons ago about the use of yellow cards (there is a conclusion if you can't read it all).

In addition, Team North's L5 protocols state:

General

• A deliberate, cynical offence should be a yellow card.
• Repeat offences can be serial or team.
• Referees to consider using the yellow card when appropriate and when it achieves the most effective outcome. It is a management tool – not a weapon.
• No place for Foul Play in The Game.

My personal view is that it can be very difficult to manage out deliberate and cynical offences. These types of yellow cards will happen more frequently the closer to the professional end of the game you go, as players' understanding of the game increases and to prevent the opportunity of 5 points, and no matter what preventative communication/management you attempt, the player will be more likely to not respond.

With regards to repeated infringements, there is definitely potential to manage this more effectively and successfully. A referee can attempt to manage out repeat infringements by using the various management tools available to him. The yellow card in these instances is for when those management tools haven't worked, and further escalation is required.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Reds I can remember:
One at Alton when (I think Fordingbridge) the away team flanker threw a punch that missed.
On exchange at Rochdale - fingers in the eyes.
Longwood University - repeated offences (don't ask. It was a 'mare of a game)
Kutztown - sent off a yappy South African for calling me English. (He preceded that with "****ing". I'm still not sure which of the two words prompted the card)
Longwood (again) - kick to the head.
Richmond - a stamp so bad the victim needed 30 stitches. I also YCed the victim as he was being stretchered off in the same incident in a pre season friendly.
Christopher Newport - kicking/tripping studs first on an ankle
Radford - dump tackle
Longwood (see a pattern here?) - forearm/elbow smash to the head
Longwood Coach - abuse form.

There may have been others, but those are the ones I remember. I've been refereeing for about 20 years, so one red every 2 years doesn't seem too bad to me.
(My YC count on the other hand...oof)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In addition, Team North's L5 protocols state:

My personal view is that it can be very difficult to manage out deliberate and cynical offences. These types of yellow cards will happen more frequently the closer to the professional end of the game you go, as players' understanding of the game increases and to prevent the opportunity of 5 points, and no matter what preventative communication/management you attempt, the player will be more likely to not respond.

With regards to repeated infringements, there is definitely potential to manage this more effectively and successfully. A referee can attempt to manage out repeat infringements by using the various management tools available to him. The yellow card in these instances is for when those management tools haven't worked, and further escalation is required.

Same YC protocol in SW Group and agree re use of YC as escalation solution, for repeated offences, and cynical offences.

I see a fair few YCs given and at L5 the average is between 1-2 per match.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
4. Outside half who pushed me out of the way (in his defence I was in his way!) with the words "will you get out of the f****g way now"

5......."

of course it should be : 'get out of my f***king way, please Sir'

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes

I played hooker and sometimes prop. So don't mess with me.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

175 RCs in Yorkshire (Federation) Nov 13 to 1/2 way through Nov 14 an average of 35 per Society.

God knows how many matches.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
175 RCs in Yorkshire (Federation) Nov 13 to 1/2 way through Nov 14 an average of 35 per Society.

God knows how many matches.

Those stats are a bit skewed though because 150 of those were Andy's :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wonder if you can be red / yellow colour blind :biggrin:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He just likes yellows. He doesn't give that many reds!

But once he gets to 30 yellows in a game, doesn't he have to start on the reds?

Ignoring replacements, of course.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
But once he gets to 30 yellows in a game, doesn't he have to start on the reds?

Ignoring replacements, of course.

No. He's Graham Poll in disguise...