Yellow card to replacement

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I do know a bit more about the incident than the original poster. It wasn't a case of 'no problem' in the scoring of the try. There was a high tackle at the same time. Going down to 14 players may well have been justified for this reason and not for any words afterwards.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do know a bit more about the incident than the original poster. It wasn't a case of 'no problem' in the scoring of the try. There was a high tackle at the same time. Going down to 14 players may well have been justified for this reason and not for any words afterwards.

That's an issue that we discuss from time to time .. defenders commit a YC worthy offence , but the attackers score the try anyway refs often 'forget' the YC. There was an example of this (I thought) in the England Ireland game last week. I forget the details

Balones

Post Likes
Okay folks, I have been able to see one of the videos taken on the day of the incident. As you perhaps would expect the situation is far more complex than first explained. Because of my contract with the RFU I am reluctant to make any more detailed comment in terms of what was right or wrong. The yellow card at that stage took the defending side down to 13 players because they had just been carded a few minutes before so we ended up with 13 v 15. I am in no doubt that there will be some follow up from this incident. I will however correct my previous comment/suggestion. The reason for the defending card was not because of the high tackle.

Balones

Post Likes
That does not automatically mean that it is a sensible arrangement.

Can’t disagree with you.

I will say that in the vast majority of situations if the ball is coming towards them such warming up players do tend to get out of the goal area. They did in this incident and it was only after the score that they encroached, and it is this that needs to be tightened up on in general terms at all levels.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So back to the central point .. green player in scuffle with red replacement,

Honestly, the ref makes it a lot easier for himself if he refrains from YC either player...

Balones

Post Likes
So back to the central point .. green player in scuffle with red replacement,

Honestly, the ref makes it a lot easier for himself if he refrains from YC either player...
In a one on one situation there is more scope for this but when there is a mass brawl/altercation then there is more pressure on the ref to issue cards to prevent similar incidents later in the game. At the same time it may be difficult for the ref not to go for the cards if the replacement had aready been on the pitch previously as a player and this was the third altercation between said players. Context and all that.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I can't think of any other sport that allows players to warm up on an active field though?

I'm not saying it's right. Just attempting an explanation.

If it's that easy why don't they do it? As you say it's hardly difficult.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In a one on one situation there is more scope for this but when there is a mass brawl/altercation then there is more pressure on the ref to issue cards to prevent similar incidents later in the game. At the same time it may be difficult for the ref not to go for the cards if the replacement had aready been on the pitch previously as a player and this was the third altercation between said players. Context and all that.

If there's a mass brawl, just find 2 that were on the pitch, problem solved :wink:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I can't think of any other sport that allows players to warm up on an active field though?

Baseball. Batters warm up on the field, in a designated circle, and sometimes depending on the stadium set up the bullpen where pitchers warm up is inside the fence in foul territory.

Butters

Referees in England
Post Likes
This rings a bell from a match about 8 years ago either at Twickenham or the Stoop…

The player in question was someone like Croft, Worsley, Robshaw… England back row player.. I think it was a Heineken Cup match, certainly a big game, televised.

Kick went into touch by Red, towards the red bench who were sitting on the front row of the seats, behind the advertising hoardings. Blue would have been able to take a quick line out but red replacement, stood up, reached over and literally pulled the ball out of blue winger’s arms, hence preventing him taking a quick line out. That all definitely happened.

I'm ad libbing from now on but I think there was a bit of a scuffle but no cards but I believed, to this day, either from ref or pub chat, if red sub had been carded, (whilst on the bench) then red would have to sacrifice someone else from the pitch to play with 14 men. Like when a front row player is carded but has to stay on due to injuries, then someone else is sacrificed.

Anybody any recollection of this?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was discussed quite extensively here
Will Skinner wasn't it? Rolland gave him a RC

One of the interesting points was whether a YC time expired player has the right to come on when the ball goes into touch .. or does a QTI take precedence. Quins had such a player waiting to come on, and argued that no quick throw was possible anyway because of that .

RC was upheld

A Quins physio had already been warned for similar event in the same game

No , you don't sacrifice an on field player

And no, front row players who are carded never get to stay on the pitch !

Last edited:

Butters

Referees in England
Post Likes
No , you don't sacrifice an on field player

And no, front row players who are carded never get to stay on the pitch ! - I am sure I have seen that.... maybe it wasn't right but I have definitely seen it at Old Rubberduckians...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This rings a bell from a match about 8 years ago either at Twickenham or the Stoop…

The player in question was someone like Croft, Worsley, Robshaw… England back row player.. I think it was a Heineken Cup match, certainly a big game, televised.

Kick went into touch by Red, towards the red bench who were sitting on the front row of the seats, behind the advertising hoardings. Blue would have been able to take a quick line out but red replacement, stood up, reached over and literally pulled the ball out of blue winger’s arms, hence preventing him taking a quick line out. That all definitely happened.

I'm ad libbing from now on but I think there was a bit of a scuffle but no cards but I believed, to this day, either from ref or pub chat, if red sub had been carded, (whilst on the bench) then red would have to sacrifice someone else from the pitch to play with 14 men. Like when a front row player is carded but has to stay on due to injuries, then someone else is sacrificed.

Anybody any recollection of this?
unfortunately not, but whether is actually right or not, I would be against somebody totally univolved from the issue having to effectively take a RC for somebody else.

The prop thing is a totally separate thing - because of FR safety requirements and not creating abuse of that requirement

didds