Yesterday's game

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Blue line out.

thrower in on the limit (define time limit!?) of delaying the throw:

19.7(b) The throw-in at the lineout must be taken without delay and without pretending to throw.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line.

Green forward then go up early:

19.10 (f) Jumping, supporting or lifting before the ball is thrown. A player must not jump or be
lifted or supported before the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line.

I blow and tell green to stay down and Blue hooker to throw in more quickly. I decide to go again.

We reset.

I tell blue thrower in 4 times to throw the ball in as I'm not happy with the delay. After the 4th time I free kick him.

He complains that the "call had not finished" (it must be a very complicated signal call!!!)

At half time the coach asks why I FK'd the thrower in but not the early jump first time round.

I explain as above. He "accepts" my call.

In the bar the thrower in repeats the "we had not completed the call signal so I could not throw in" line. I replied the call is the throwing in teams problem not mine. I suggested they simplify their calls. He accepted my answer better than the coach.

Any thoughts?

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I tell blue thrower in 4 times to throw the ball

Way too many. Two at most (and that's being more generous than many who will reply later) particularly after you've already reset and told him to throw in more quickly.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You can debate the 4 vs 2 thing.

But your approach was spot on

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Works for me. Your request was their 'notice'

£5 says then have a 'shortened' set of calls next week.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I gave the 4 as it was youth and a good tempered game. They work with me, I work with them. But agree it could be construed as lenient.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
good call. Well done.