Yo-yo test

loten10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is there anybody who can give me some help as to how it works and does anybody have an audio file for the Yo-yo test itself? I am well versed in the Bleep Test but I'll admit that this one is new to me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Its like a bleep test, but with a 10 second rest after each "there and back" shuttle.
In addition the levels jump quite dramatically.
From memory only, its something like:
Level 5.1
Level 7.1
Level 9.1 to 9.3
Level 11.1 to 11.3
Level 13.1 to 13.8
Level 14.1 to 14.9
etc

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having just done it; when you train for this, you want to be doing sprints, sprints, and more sprints. Then some sprints for variety and finish off with some sprints.

The way it works is you run 20m to a cone and 20m back in an annoyingly short amount of time. Then you get 10 seconds to slow down and recover, and then you go again. (This all assumes you're doing the "intermittent recovery level 1" test, which appears to be the standard for referees, but there are other things also branded "yo-yo" that work differently.)

Most people talk about the test in terms of something called "speed level" or just "level", which doesn't appear to increase according to any kind of outwardly logical sense and which refers to how fast you're running (I'm sure it does all make sense if you can find out how the test was designed). You do one shuttle at speed level 5 (which is a slow, easy jog), one at level 8, two at level 11, three at levels 12 and 13, and then eight at speed level 14 and higher, which is where the test really begins. Levels 5 through 13 are mostly a warmup to get you familiar with the test and raise your heart-rate and let you figure out how it all works before you come under pressure.

Your result is usually expressed in the form "speedlevel.shuttlenumber", so a result of 15.3 means you successfully completed the third shuttle at speed level 15 (which isthe 22nd overall shuttle). If you fail to complete a shuttle in the time, you get a warning, and then your next failure ends the test; it's possible to get warned at 15.2, complete 15.3, 15.4 and 15.5 and then fail on 15.6, and your result would be 15.5.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Think you need to put some sprints between the two middle sets of sprints! think that would do it!

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
I got 16,2 on a yo-yo test this week, not too pleased with that but hey ho. If you google bop rugby intermittent and download the pdf file theres a good explanation and speed chart

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
If you need the YoYo test download Here http://www.boprugby.co.nz/resourcesmodule/view/id/795/src/@random4b9580d7c43fe/
The 16.2 you ran is nothing to be sniffed at, in VO2 max terms it is equal to a9.9 in the beep test, except you have speed.
I can get 200 referees to run 18 yoyo test but only a handful who have the temperament not be influenced by players or spectators and to blow the law, the moment a referee starts influencing a game he needs to go back and realise he is to control the game and not influence it.

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
But I can get level 11 on a bleep, yeah I've downloaded the YoYo so I can have a little practice. Might start it at the higher levels just for training

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When I did my JAM test (after) in the summer I watched a Development Squad referee do a Yo-Yo test. Having only experienced a bleep test before I thought I'd gone mad as I heard the levels seemingly go from 5 to 8 to 11 etc.

I thought it must be broken and never thought anymore of it.

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah I was going off the shuttles on topendsports website but they were on no way similar to the one myself and 4eyes have just undertaken. the Boprugby source seems to the correct levels