[Ruck] You're not now allowed to crocodile roll? Really?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just watched this and the bit about not now legal to roll a jackler from a ruck. Is that how you are reffing it ?
https://youtu.be/pbI-PU4vFtg

My society briefing on new law was purely about the lower limbs. Maybe I missed this.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just re listened and the quote is actually 'You re no longer allowed to lever a player out of the ruck '
That's not what I've been told. Cheers in advance.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just re listened and the quote is actually 'You re no longer allowed to lever a player out of the ruck '
That's not what I've been told. Cheers in advance.

My understanding is that when gator/croc rolling to the side, you can't lever using the legs as a fulcrum when trying to jackal due to the high risk of injury a la the Tom Curry clip.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My understanding is that when gator/croc rolling to the side, you can't lever using the legs as a fulcrum when trying to jackal due to the high risk of injury a la the Tom Curry clip.

Yes, this, although a lot of poorly executed croc rolls end up dropping on lower limbs so it may end up removing croc roll from the lower end of the game

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
[LAWS]Law 9.20d: A player may lever the jackler out of the contest at the ruck but must not drop their weight onto them or target the lower limbs.[/LAWS]

So the video's author (with what authority?) is explicitly incorrect.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]Law 9.20d: A player may lever the jackler out of the contest at the ruck but must not drop their weight onto them or target the lower limbs.[/LAWS]

So the video's author (with what authority?) is explicitly incorrect.

It's Youtube...what authority is needed!

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The croc roll is now explicitly addressed as being legal... I thought it was in the definitions, but I can't see it there now - it may be in the laws somewhere, or a clarification.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's such a foolish Law, if you are levering a player out of the ruck, the fulcrum is his foot (and hence ankle and knee)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and we see another result of permitting players to jackal etc with shoulders below hips, planes landing versus planes taking off etc., which makes clearing out very very difficult if not ikmpossible by more "normal" means

winner.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's such a foolish Law, if you are levering a player out of the ruck, the fulcrum is his foot (and hence ankle and knee)

At a recent Q+A session on the new laws, it was explicitly answered that : YES - You can still lift a leg "up" to lever someone out of a ruck. The PK offence in new law is intended to be about "dropping" your weight onto them or their lower limbs. Or so I thought until this guy's youtube video. Hence my OP. Interesting ....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
At a recent Q+A session on the new laws, it was explicitly answered that : YES - You can still lift a leg "up" to lever someone out of a ruck. The PK offence in new law is intended to be about "dropping" your weight onto them or their lower limbs. Or so I thought until this guy's youtube video. Hence my OP. Interesting ....

Ken Catchpole unlikely to be impressed.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The video statement is wrong.
That's it really.