yoyo test

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I am going to give this a go for the hell of it and then get my vo2 tested in a lab on the treadmill. I see there is a level 1 and level 2 yoyo test. I'm not finding much difference in the two from what I'm finding...does anyone familiar with this test know if there is a difference and what it is?

thanks

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Ddjamo - this is the testing that the SRU will be using for the forthcoming season, some very interesting levels have been set for academy, panel, hp officials for next season.

The following link is from Youtube and is the All Blacks conducting the yoyo - apologies for the advert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwYx62e2VJI

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is the yo yo intermittent test - this is what we use in London too.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am going to give this a go for the hell of it and then get my vo2 tested in a lab on the treadmill. I see there is a level 1 and level 2 yoyo test. I'm not finding much difference in the two from what I'm finding...does anyone familiar with this test know if there is a difference and what it is?

thanks

There's a huge difference; the level 1 is aimed at any reasonably fit person, the level 2 is aimed at professional athletes. You'll be lucky to keep up with the level 2 for more than a couple of minutes, and if you can then you should go to whatever the USA's equivalent of an amateur athletics club is, because you could probably compete quite well.

Oh, and there's also two flavours, "intermittent endurance" and "intermittent recovery". Intermittent recovery has 10-second active breaks (and is the only one I've heard of referees taking), intermittent endurance has 5-second breaks.

Last edited:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
thanks 4eyes....that's the info....thanks much

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
FFS...the only mp3's I'm finding are uk based and I'm blocked over here...anyone have the mp3 or something that will work on an android?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
send me the links and I'll use my proxy.
FFS...the only mp3's I'm finding are uk based and I'm blocked over here...anyone have the mp3 or something that will work on an android?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
That one just redirects me to the homepage. I do know where you can find one, as long as you don't mind all the words being in Italian...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have the yo yo we use as an mp3 on my phone.
PM me your email address and I can send it.
Phil

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That one just redirects me to the homepage. ..

4eyes.

Try this link http://www.boprugby.co.nz/Training, it should take you to the training page, go right to the bottom of the page and you will see the following.....[h=1]Yoyo Intermittant Recovery Test[/h]Their is a link for the mp3 download.

Hopefully that works for you.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Thanks men

- - - Updated - - -

Phil and stu I am having trouble navjvating the sjte with my tablet. Im figuring the damn thing out. My email is my screen name at gmail. Thanks for all the help.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Does anyone do this often as part of a training session?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Warwickshire set a yoyo level of 15 for a level 6 ref, or anyone aspiring to level 6
Then drop down half a YoYo level for each refereeing level.

So level 7 is 14.5
Level 8 is 14
Etc

For aspiring federation refs and above I would expect level 16 YoYo.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The RFU tests for 2013-14 season are being run for Panel and Group Match Officials next week at four regional centres.

Referees will take the Yoyo and achieve Level 16+, whereas Assistant Referees will take the Bleep test and need to achieve level 7 or JAM test 12 minutes 30 seconds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The RFU tests for 2013-14 season are being run for Panel and Group Match Officials next week at four regional centres.

Referees will take the Yoyo and achieve Level 16+, whereas Assistant Referees will take the Bleep test and need to achieve level 7 or JAM test 12 minutes 30 seconds

I'm curious as to what then happens if a referee doesn't hit the required lowest level? .... is s/he struck off?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If you haven't passed the required fitness test you don't get appointed. Simple.

There are further sessions closer to the start of the season for anyone who fails, or anyone who is currently injured so unable to test.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So you just have to pass before the start of the season?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I believe so - which is fair enough in the case of injury.

I would suggest that failing a couple of times just cos you're out of shape and managing to scrape through the week before the season starts might be fairly career limiting.

I have no intention of finding out!