Olympic Games - How are you doing?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am looking at the Olympic Games medal table and feeling quite proud of my country.

I look at the countries on the table and then look at the size of those countries. I reckon us Brits can feel, that as a small island nation, we are punching well above our weight.....even if most of our medals have been won sitting down :biggrin:

Robbie! I need a Union Flag for the Olympics please. :eng: :scot: :wales: (insert N.I. flag here).

View attachment 2183

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
we shouldn't feel too smug - most of our medals have been won in sports that other countries can't afford to do.

although...

COME ON JESS!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Our first Gold was by 2 woman reversing! say no more,( prepare for incoming)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
we shouldn't feel too smug - most of our medals have been won in sports that other countries can't afford to do.

although...

COME ON JESS!

I went to Sheffield last night and there's a HUUUUUGE Jess Ennis on the side of John Lewis - lucky bugger! Phwoar!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Really! Most other countries can't afford a push bike or a rowing boat?

PS: I am genuinly not feeling smug, I am just feeling very proud.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
NZ are also doing great with 3 golds - they are ahead of the Aussies in the table!

I'm loving the gold rush - its such a shame that they changed the rules to hamper our cyclists!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If Korea was one country they'd be third ahead of us!

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was at Centre court last night to see Murrsy beat Djokovic and it was a great atmosphere. The Federer game went on a bit though. If Murray plays as well in the final he should beat Federer, who didn't look great

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If the USSR still existed we'd be 5th.

:biggrin:

Come on Jess!!!!!!!!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Get in!

South Yorkshire have won as many Golds as Australia!!!!!

:pepper:

:bday:

:clap:

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
if Yorkshire was it's own country, we'd be below South Korea :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If Clancy and the Brownlees do their stuff we'll beat Russia!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Get in!

South Yorkshire have won as many Golds as Australia!!!!!

:pepper:

:bday:

:clap:

..........and we just got a Gold in the Long Jump! :pepper:

Go Mo! :biggrin:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
see? running, jumping and throwing. the proper olympics. none of this horse poncing nonsense ;)

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Spain is doing crap, as expected by the ones who know a bit of worldwide sports, rather than the media. We expect no medal at athletics and we should feel lucky that Belmonte won two silver medals at swimming. Nothing at gymnastics, judo, ... Maybe some team sports will get a medal (handball, basketball, waterpolo), sailing and if we're lucky, sincronized swimming and taekwondo.

On many sports there isn't even an european top contender. And i'm not talking about badminton or table tennis, but in terms of many sports there is no tradition in Spain and should've been (weightlifting, wrestling, fencing...).

Also, many supposed top world Spaniard athletes did crap on their finals and went like 3 to 5 positions lower than expected and were nowhere near their personal bests.

Really! Most other countries can't afford a push bike or a rowing boat?

PS: I am genuinly not feeling smug, I am just feeling very proud.

Well, in Spain we got some of the best cyclists in history, both road and track. In the road section they are still good enough to compete every each other year, but on the track it has been a disaster. There are no good velodromes in Spain. Because of Joan Llaneras being a top contender on the points race and madison race in track for over 10 years, a local administration decided to build a velodrome and make a High Performance Center around it. Due to political corruption on its build, the velodrome is now closed and the regional president has been sentenced to prision -and the princess husband seems that he will also be-.

Also, some other velodromes have been built, with a high public cost. The most important ones don't even have the official measures and are shorter or longer, so they're not able to host an international competition.

On rowing, it's more or less the same. There is no tradition on rowing, except on the Basque Country, but they do it at the sea and they're not comfortable on rowing for Spain...

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I haven't heard large ladies singing yet.....

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't want to sound negative, but I have been home from work for over an hour and we haven't won a medal. What the hell are they doing with all that lottery funding? Sheez.