Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure it was the missed pen that was the swing but Folau's inability to see the chance and pass left. I think we were all probably screaming at the tv.

But we don't comment upon poor decisions by players as clearly they have no impact upon the result! Only the ref can do that!!

PS

I would add that OZ did not really need to be chasing the game at that stage and were, IMHO, forcing the game.

THIS^^^

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You really are quite a snide so-n-so, aren't you

You're too kind Simon. I would have used something more appropriate than "so-n-so" :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're too kind Simon. I would have used something more appropriate than "so-n-so" :biggrin:

it's just a mild tease FFS. Not even aimed at the ABs. Chillax.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it's just a mild tease FFS. Not even aimed at the ABs. Chillax.

I think you missed the point Dickie. The "mild teases" accumulate. If you keep incessantly poking a dog with a stick, even gently, sooner or later you will piss it off, and it will turn around and bite your hand.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I can't access the link posted by Browner. Does it have anything to do with NZRU bending over for SBW?
Granted an exemption to go straight from RL to being eligible for ABs NH tour.
How would you feel if you were a No.12 or 13 flogging away all year and being considered for AB selection only to lose out to serial code hopper SBW?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I can't access the link posted by Browner. Does it have anything to do with NZRU bending over for SBW?
How would you feel if you were a No.12 or 13 flogging away all year and being considered for AB selection only to lose out to serial code hopper SBW?
I'd feel that I wasn't good enough to play for the All Blacks if I wasn't even good enough to beat a guy who had been playing league for 12 months. I'd then work out where I needed to improve and then go about making those improvements as best I could.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Probably no different to how you would feel if you were an Aussie who had your spot taken by Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri or Israel Folau.

What really annoys me is that people get down on SBW (including NZ fans) for code-hopping, yet they hold Brad Thorn up as some sort of folk hero / hard man. Thorn switched from League to Union in 2001, the back to League in 2005, and back to Union in 2008.

Don't get me wrong, I have only the utmost respect for Brad (I met him once, and found him to be a thoroughly pleasant man). He has been one of the toughest rugby players ever to grace either code, and has just signed for Leicester to play his 20th and final year of Elite Rugby. I just don't get why SBW get judged by a different standard.

For the record.......

Club
YearsTeamPldTGFGP
1994–00Brisbane Broncos130220088
2005–07Brisbane Broncos70100040
Total2003200128
Representative
YearsTeamPldTGFGP
1996–05Queensland111004
1997Queensland SL30000
1997Australia SL51004
1998Australia32008
Rugby union
PositionLock
Club
YearsTeamPldTGFGP
2001-04, 08–11Crusaders92110055
2001-04, 08-–10Canterbury3040020
2008Tasman10000
2011–12Sanix Blues
2012Leinster80000
2013–2014Highlanders161005
2014–Leicester00000
Total147160080
Representative
YearsTeamPldTGFGP
2003–11New Zealand6040020
Trophy Cabinet
1 x Rugby World Cup (NZ)
1 x Super Rugby Titles (Crusaders)
2 x NPC Titles (Canterbury)
3 x Tri-Nations Titles (NZ)
5 x Bledisloe Cups (NZ)
2 x Grand Slams (NZ)
3 x NRL titles (Brisbane Broncos)
1 x Superleague (AUS) title (Brisbane Broncos)
1 x World Club Championship title (Brisbane Broncos)
2 x State of Origin title (Queensland)
1 x Heineken Cup (Leinster)

That will be a tough record for anyone to match

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
* SBW is currently playing RL for the Sydney Roosters.
* Granted an exemption from having to be currently playing rugby in NZ to be immediately (when RL commitments are completed) eligible to be picked for ABs
* NZRU would not have formalised the exemption if there was a chance that SBW wouldn't be picked for the ABs
* SBW has signed to play in Super Rugby for 2015-2016 and will make him eligible for RWC. I haven't checked, but is there a RL world cup in 2017?
* Sorry but IMHO he is a mercenary

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
* SBW is currently playing RL for the Sydney Roosters.
* Granted an exemption from having to be currently playing rugby in NZ to be immediately (when RL commitments are completed) eligible to be picked for ABs
* NZRU would not have formalised the exemption if there was a chance that SBW wouldn't be picked for the ABs
* SBW has signed to play in Super Rugby for 2015-2016 and will make him eligible for RWC. I haven't checked, but is there a RL world cup in 2017?
* Sorry but IMHO he is a mercenary

1. Unlike Benji Marshall, SBW has recent experience in Rugby Union; two seasons with Toulon, half a season with Canterbury, two seasons in Super Rugby (Crusaders and Chiefs), a total of 70 matches in elite Rugby Union plus 19 tests. I have no doubt he will slot right back into the game.

2. He got the same dispensation that Luke McAlister got in 2009 when he returned after playing for Sale Sharks.

3. The likelihood is that he will play for Counties-Manukau (in which case he would not need a dispensation anyway), but the NZRU don't know how deep into the playoffs the Roosters will go and whether or not he will be injury free, so the dispensation is a wise precaution to take now rather than rush something through at the last minute.

4. The relevance of 2017 RLWC is, what exactly?

5. Mercenaries? Well, besides the fact that I don't have any problem with them, he will be taking a substantial pay cut to play for the Chiefs next year, so how does that make him a mercenary. If he was eligible, and wanted to play for Australia, the ARU would have him in a heartbeat!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
You really are quite a Witty so-n-so, aren't you

FTFY !

Cmon Simon grow a bigger pair.. The notion that any comment regarding NZ rugby is automatically offensive is ubsurd, and quite frankly laughable, neither do they need to be always defended so aggressively or with abusive language, these traits arent seen from the majority of posters, we can all often see wit aimed towards other countries/clubs usually followed by a witty retort, mostly accepted in ruggar spirit.

If you were minded to forensically review this sites wit/humour/provoking/ribbing/nudging then you'll see loads of examples from all manner of posters including you and other mods.

I see other sites, and its not uncommon to see any comment concerning NZ met with a tirad of foul mouthed abuse, such insecurities are even more surprising when we all know the kiwis are consistently the best.

Someone earlier mentioned chillax, i say have a cider ....very therapeutic ....I'll buy if we're ever in the same bar :)

Yours in ruggar
X

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh, I do. I've noticed that you're not so much going after one nation, which is questionable enough, but one poster in particular. I find it wearing, and frankly contrary to the ethos of the forum.

I'm no great defender of Ian- God knows we've disagreed on issues. But we've never descended to the snide comments that you delight in making across more than one thread. His departure from here would be a loss; I'm not sure I would be able to say the same about you.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Isn't the Bledsoe Cup a 3 game series? If so how does a tie and a win= a cup?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
His departure from here would be a loss

The problem with the person concerned is that he's a pompous know-it-all ass. (Not arse, that would be rude). He has a tendency to call people idiots and/or liars which on most forums would get him suspended, but because he is both a moderator and does in fact know quite a lot - if not all (who does?), this does not happen.

Speaking from a wealth of experience, being a pompous know-it-all ass is not easy. On the knitting forums I frequent I recently bawled out at people confusing liposomes with ribosomes, for example. Also, it is hard to be modest when one knows literally everything about everything. Fortunately I know nothing at all about the round-ball code other than that the ball is round.

I recommend https://class.coursera.org/thinkagain-004 to everybody here.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The problem with the person concerned is that he's a pompous know-it-all ass. (Not arse, that would be rude). He has a tendency to call people idiots and/or liars which on most forums would get him suspended, but because he is both a moderator and does in fact know quite a lot - if not all (who does?), this does not happen.

Speaking from a wealth of experience, being a pompous know-it-all ass is not easy. On the knitting forums I frequent I recently bawled out at people confusing liposomes with ribosomes, for example. Also, it is hard to be modest when one knows literally everything about everything. Fortunately I know nothing at all about the round-ball code other than that the ball is round.

The problem with your first paragraph is that unfortunately he's usually right.

Wait. I got it. You've been on the receiving end when your BS got called. That explains a lot

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Tweedle-dum speaks and tweedle-dee chimes in in support. You're well met you two.

Have either you or browner ever stopped to consider that the reason you get the reactions you do is because of the nasty, snide and bigoted remarks you make, all in the supposed name of "banter". I know your sort, the both of you. You're the boorish, noisy, objectionable people at the aftermatch who make inappropriate remarks to people and then claim you were only joking when someone reacts badly and threatens to bust you one.

I've been a member of this forum for nearly 10 years, and in all that time I have never run into a pair of more intentionally argumentative, ill-informed people, both of whom seem unwilling to take any advice from those who have far greater experience in the game both as referees and referee advisers. Both of you should have been dealt with months ago; that was our mistake, but your continued presence on the forum makes me question mine. I am currently looking at undertaking doing a part-time 100-level degree, and frankly, I could to with not spending the time dealing with either of you.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Tweedle-dum speaks and tweedle-dee chimes in in support. You're well met you two.

Have either you or browner ever stopped to consider that the reason you get the reactions you do is because of the nasty, snide and bigoted remarks you make, all in the supposed name of "banter". I know your sort, the both of you. You're the boorish, noisy, objectionable people at the aftermatch who make inappropriate remarks to people and then claim you were only joking when someone reacts badly and threatens to bust you one.

I've been a member of this forum for nearly 10 years, and in all that time I have never run into a pair of more intentionally argumentative, ill-informed people, both of whom seem unwilling to take any advice from those who have far greater experience in the game both as referees and referee advisers. Both of you should have been dealt with months ago; that was our mistake, but your continued presence on the forum makes me question mine. I am currently looking at undertaking doing a part-time 100-level degree, and frankly, I could to with not spending the time dealing with either of you.

Ian, I stopped calling people idiots in forums five years before I joined these forums. I have told you repeatedly that it is not the best way to get on people's good side. I don't believe I have ever called anybody a liar, online or, well, ever. You seem to make a habit of it.

You clearly haven't realised that the reaction you get from both Browner and I - the two of us happen to disagree on more matters than we agree on - is because there is a single common factor in the online relationship between you and Browner, and that between you and I.

Not once in my life have I come across anybody as utterly rude as you, Ian. When I sent you the answer to my query about the forward pass from a respected international referee that my father introduced me to, you were dismissive, despite it being in some support of your argument. My father also introduced me to Bill Beaumont when I was 9, just before the Moscow Olympics. I can guarantee you that my father has FAR more experience than you or for that matter anybody else here in refereeing matters (from before he was 30 to into his 70s, organising the first national referee courses here in Holland, being national chairman of selectors for the top referees, heavy involvement in FIRA, etc), and with 70 years of rugby experience - he still runs touch for our 1st XV every week at the second highest level - I can tell you once and for all that I DO take and HAVE taken advice from not just one person with far greater experience than my self, but also continue to do so from coaches and trainers (of both referees and rugby teams) that I come across, mostly off-line but also on-line.

You seem to revel in attacking. Tweedle-dee? Grow up. It is acceptable on adult forums to disagree with people without belittling them. Really, try it! See what I did there? I finally got beaten by the degree of your rampant idiocy.

Perhaps you should also understand that other people should not be "dealt with". Unless, of course, you happen to be involved in the mafia or some other such organisation.

Finally, I realise that you are probably not as obnoxious in person as you are on-line, Ian_Cook. You probably aren't even vaguely aware of the fact that you are incredibly rude, not just once or twice, but pretty much all the time. I've come across enough New-Zealanders to know that this is not a national trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.