[Law] 'Keep the Score' vs 'Know the Score'

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Transcribing from a general local forum from a game (RFU L9'ish I think) where the ref (not me!) was asked the score, and based on that attacking team made a decision, turns out the ref was wrong - in the end wasn't material thankfully, but am interested in thoughts on who's responsibility it is to 'know the score' vs 'keeping the score' - the latter I believe is our responsibility (please correct me).

For me I use the standard score card from here to tally up, and in parallel tap buttons on my Apple Watch app, the latter *should* allow me to reference the totalled score quickly, and I periodically, make sure both add up (I have made, and thankfully caught, mistakes though - conversion tallied in the penalty box and vice versa). I make a habit when asked of saying 'I believe the score is ....', and at my levels there has been a scoreboard once so far this season, and maybe a couple of hangers on on the touchline, so it's pretty much on me.

I *want* to give them the correct score, but is it my responsibility to do so, or is it as much on the players / touchline to do so as me?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure it was Womble Ref who suggested we don't keep a running total - partly in case it subconsciously affects your thinking.

I must admit, I did try it, but when you get have to say "Sorry. I don't add up the score till the end of the game" about 5 times a game, it does get a bit wearing and in the end I find it just easier to keep a running total.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I keep a running total on my card that also shows number of tries.

No skin off my nose to tell the captain the score, any more than telling him how much time is left on the match or a sin-bin

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
DUTIES OF THE REFEREE DURING A MATCH
5. Within the playing enclosure:
a. The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match. The referee must
apply the laws of the game fairly in every match.
b. The referee keeps the time. However, the match organiser may appoint a timekeeper
who will signify the end of each half.
c. The referee keeps the score.

Of course, the big guys get to delegate.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it's a close game I make very sure not to give the wrong score .. I wait till the ball is dead , get my book out and double check.

I say .. don't keep a running total . Doing that if you make just one mistake you continue to be wrong for the rest of the game.
If you add it up each time then any mistake is self correcting ... The next time you are asked the score you add it up again and will get right this time

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it's a close game I make very sure not to give the wrong score .. I wait till the ball is dead , get my book out and double check.

I say .. don't keep a running total . Doing that if you make just one mistake you continue to be wrong for the rest of the game.
If you add it up each time then any mistake is self correcting ... The next time you are asked the score you add it up again and will get right this time

I essence this is where I am, but having it on the watch saves the mental 'at a glance' maths, I aim to double check my scorecard against the watch as I walk back post kick, but I'm not always guaranteed quiet time.

The main gist of the original thread was whether it was the refs responsibility to accurately know and give the score at any point in the game, as opposed to keeping the score to present at the end as required. I was of the belief that we should try and help as we can (like time remaining), but if players, coaches, and captains need to make tactical decisions based on that info then they should be keeping their own count too, ie it's not all on us

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes
Addressing your question directly I think that in the community game it is part of the refs responsibility, and he is duty bound to give the score (accurately) when reasonably asked (ie not every thirty seconds)

Even when a coach or captain is very carefully keeping his own score it's not unreasonable for the team captain to double check with the ref

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with crossref about running totals. I like to have columns labelled T, C, P, DG (still don't have a PT column).

I try to keep the scores in mind and if there's a break I'll tot them up.

If captains want a quick answer, though, I'll usually tell them "more than a score" or somesuch, and only add it up if it's crucial.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I just keep a running total on my score card which I cross out and update after every score.

Works fine for me.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I just keep a running total on my score card which I cross out and update after every score.

Works fine for me.

Can't imagine doing that, can barely read mine at the best of times - does it not rain where you are!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes. And I have a score card that is waterproof, works with pencil and can be used time after time after time.

I keep a running score on the card. No reason not to.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes. And I have a score card that is waterproof, works with pencil and can be used time after time after time.

Genuinely intrigued, can you share a source?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Following on from the OP, 3 mins to go in a close game. Red get a kickable pen and ask you the score. You reply im not sure.

Do you go time off, stop the game and tot up the scores or no time off and tot up the scores or tell him to hurry up and make his own decision and not give him the score?

Ive no problem giving the score at an appropriate time, I just dont think its our job to be handfeeding them information that they should have themselves.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

The risk .. which may be slight .. is that if you make an error at any point you will have the wrong score for the rest of the game...

If you add it up each time, you still might make a mistake at some point , but the next time you add it up you will correct again

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In that situation I would time off, carefully check the score, and give the score to both teams

NB in grass roots game usually they DO keep score themselves but want to make sure they agree with you

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I keep my scorecard as simple as possible.

I mark 5 for a try, 7 for a converted try, and 3 for a penalty or rarely a drop goal.

I dont keep a running total. If a captain asks, I pull out my scorecard and tally it up. I rarely volunteer the score without being asked.