[Line out] Are there any offiside lines at a quick throw

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Incident from my game yesterday. Made me think for a second.

Blue 10 doing a classic exit. Blue 10 kicks to touch. Line of touch it half-way line. Blue 11 who was onside, is the sole chaser.
The ball has rolled in touch and Red 14 gathers it and is looking like he wants to take a quick throw.
Blue 11 ( the chaser ) continues his run runs up to the Red 15 ( who was deep and offering himself for the quick throw ) to mark him, in case of the quick throw threat.

However, red 13 has now run back and unmarked and the quick throw is passed to him.
Blue 11 ( who had overrun the line of touch ) sees this and runs backwards to tackle Red 13.
I hear "Offside!" shouts from the Red players. And a Red player saying "He was in front of that throw in , Sir !".
Yes Blue 11 was "in front" of where the quick throw had occurred, but
I reply with something like "No lineout so no offsides! PLay on !".
Just want to make sure that's how other refs are reffing it.

Offside lines only exist if they take a lineout - right ?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sounds fair to me.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'll follow this one with interest, but my first thought is the offside lines are only created when the LO forms.

I've been caught out by QTIs before now, because a lot happens very quickly.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He was in position legitimately so for me that is fair game. If you take a QTI you accept the inherrent risks.

If you want Line out offsides lines then take a line out not a quick throw.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The section in the laws is "offside at the lineout"... until that's formed it's open play, as far as I know.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You can't be offside if the ball is dead. In a QTI it is open play as soon as the ball is thrown. Just let it travel 5m.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Where was the #11 stood? If he was stood inside the 5m line then he preventing the QTI and should be sanctioned by a PK

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
gets a bit interesting if its a quickly taken lineout (as opposed to a QTI).

2 + 2 on LoT. Ball thrown in. What are the obligations on the other players?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

To get onside ASAP without interfering with play.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
You can't be offside if the ball is dead. In a QTI it is open play as soon as the ball is thrown. Just let it travel 5m.
The problem though CHBG is that until a QTI is no longer available (eg the ball has been touched etc etc) the ball isn't really dead, hence the phrase "Zombie Ball". Ie the ball isn't alive but it isn't 100% dead either because it can come alive any second.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

All the other players must already be onside, 10m back, else they cannot take the lineout

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
All the other players must already be onside, 10m back, else they cannot take the lineout

Players not participating in the lineout must remain at least 10 metres from the mark of touch on their own team’s side or behind the goal line if this is nearer. If the ball is thrown in before a player is onside, the player will not be liable to sanction if the player immediately retires to the onside position. The player cannot be put onside by the action of any other player.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Finally we've found rugby's least used law.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In this scenario, if the kick chaser was offside, do they remain offside after the ball becomes zombiefied?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In this scenario, if the kick chaser was offside, do they remain offside after the ball becomes zombiefied?
This was a question I bought up in one of our monthly meetings, and what I was told was that when the ball had gone dead, the offside player can move forward.

It's obvious that WR love their QTIs, so personally I wouldn't be surprised that in time they would change this to say that an offside player remains offside until the option of a QTI dies.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This was a question I bought up in one of our monthly meetings, and what I was told was that when the ball had gone dead, the offside player can move forward.

That's not right though, contradicts WR video

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You know it would be really good if there was somewhere we could look this sort of stuff up so we did not have to guess.
Perhaps if it were clearly stated in the laws.