Recent content by Alastair

1. A

[Kit] Studs

There are two matters where I wonder whether I’m alone as a ref... First, studs! Almost every game I am coming across studs that don’t comply with World Rugby regulation 12, particularly i see edged rather than rounded studs and studs with a narrow tip. Pedantic or safety conscious?
  2. A

[Scrum] "BIND!!"

I ref at levels 9-11 (and enjoy it). In my brief to the front rows I instruct them to be ear to ear on "bind!". None the less front rows are frequently fully engaged at his point. No-one's complaining,no-one's getting an advantage... they're just big and tired... so I let it go to keep the game...
  3. A

Tigers front row give Irish wings

I was left troubled and reflective watching Tigers v Irish on Sunday. The Irish props were lifted off the ground at least twice which I believe is very dangerous. Having spent many pleasurable hours in the front row, having lifted and having been lifted I believe it only happens after an...
  4. A

Calling "tackle"

I notice Wayne Barnes calling "tackle" but not "ruck" or "hands away". Can someone explain why he might be doing this?