Calling "tackle"

Alastair

Post Likes
I notice Wayne Barnes calling "tackle" but not "ruck" or "hands away". Can someone explain why he might be doing this?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Preventative calls buddy. Reduces penalty counts and keeps the game flowing. Just remember to thank the players for doing as you asked.
Oh and welcome to the forum. Theres a lot of very wise referee heads on here and they are always willing to help.

And St Nigel didst say to the scrum half,"eeeewwwssss it"!

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good question Alistair

My understanding is that the current elite and panel guidance is "less is more" - so not a running commentsry. At all levels referee calls should be proactive & preventative not reactive after the event. The player skill levels (and propensity to cheat) will usually determine just how much you need to manage them !

At the higher professional Levels the skill and knowledge of the players should be high enough for them to know when a ruck has formed, and so when hands are not allowed. In the tackle situation the referee has a clear view and can call when the criteria are met, whilst the players themselves are in a contact contest situation and things happen very fast so Wayne calling tackle sets the gates, determines tackler must release & roll, tackled player to do something positive (place, pass, release) and defines only players on their feet can contest in the jackle, and

At the lower community rugby levels, as you have no doubt discovered, the referee may need to be clear about tackle, ruck transition, or maul, and keeping players through the gate or behind the back fo

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
The reason he is doing this is to clarify that a maul hasn't formed to the players and they have an obligation to release and roll away as per tackle law.

Calling 'ruck' or 'hands away' doesn't really add much at professional level as players should know what their obligations are at tackles, rucks and mauls. What Barnes is doing by calling 'tackle' is clarify to the players whether they have to fulfil the tackle or maul obligations when on the ground.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I call tackle only if I think it isn't obvious.
Likewise I will call "not held" to clarify when it 'isnt' a tackle.

Welcome to the forum Alastair.....but are you really a Level 1 referee, or have you just done a Level 1 course? Level 1 would make you a Premiership Referee? :biggrin:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That's Phil E. He was Navy. But we don't hold it against him.:deadhorse:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Witch ut phul
*My best kiwi*

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The reason he is doing this is to clarify that a maul hasn't formed to the players and they have an obligation to release and roll away as per tackle law.

Calling 'ruck' or 'hands away' doesn't really add much at professional level as players should know what their obligations are at tackles, rucks and mauls. What Barnes is doing by calling 'tackle' is clarify to the players whether they have to fulfil the tackle or maul obligations when on the ground.

Hi Alastair,
With particular reference to Wayne Barnes, Adam has nailed it (whilst ST's post #3 gives you good general guidance/reasoning).

We have previously discussed, on this forum, when a maul forms both technically and for practical management.

Quite often we could freeze frame many tackle situations and argue that the criteria for a maul have been met just before the tackle is completed. If we called "maul" every time that happened, we would be stopping the game many more times than is necessary.

What Wayne Barnes is doing is letting the players know that they are still in a tackle situation and that some people are now going to be required to release and roll away, the ball carrier will need to exercise his options and that others will need to enter through the gate.

The next time you see WB do this, take note of how many players are involved in the "tackle". You will find there is the ball carrier and at least one other player from each team. WB is simply managing the situation to remove any doubt from the players as to what phase of play they are in.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Witch ut phul
*My best kiwi*

I see what you did there, and I missed off the smiley.....though not I'm a browner way!!!!!! :wink:

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Although I'm in favour of calling a 'mini maul' gone to ground a tackle ,as a means of a more fluid game, what happens when a player knows legally that a maul( mini) formed, ref hasn't called maul , he dosent release or roll gets pinged as I called it a tackle.
Capt says but that was a maul before the tackle......
What's best way to sell it?
And not " I'm the ref do what I say" line..

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Never agree with the arragent remarks. As long as you consistent on how you approach it you can sell your bullshit. Just say in my veiw he had gone to ground before a maul was formed. But the key word in consistent

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I see what you did there, and I missed off the smiley.....though not I'm a browner way!!!!!! :wink:
Took me ages trawling through Pics to get an apt one. Quite impressed with myself

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Quite impressed with myself
mister_men.jpg
? :wink:

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Although I'm in favour of calling a 'mini maul' gone to ground a tackle ,as a means of a more fluid game, what happens when a player knows legally that a maul( mini) formed, ref hasn't called maul , he dosent release or roll gets pinged as I called it a tackle.
Capt says but that was a maul before the tackle......
What's best way to sell it?
And not " I'm the ref do what I say" line..

If you call tackle and they don't roll away then they are liable to be penalised. It sounds like the player isn't a very high level player as high level players generally know that even if they disagree, if the referee clarifies something, or asks him to do something he must do it or be liable to penalty.

Never agree with the arragent remarks. As long as you consistent on how you approach it you can sell your bullshit. Just say in my veiw he had gone to ground before a maul was formed. But the key word in consistent

Pragmatically, until I call a maul, it isn't. I believe the L5 protocols support me in this (I think it says we will endeavour to call maul).

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What it should of said was ive never agreed with the arragent "I'm a ref ergo im right attitude". I fully agree. I'm being moulded at the moment and they are huge on preventative calls like that. Saves any friction and also reduces penalty count.
And to be honest we have all done MAUL, use it, peep balls pops out of the back. "Oopps sorry guys"

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
we have all done MAUL, use it, peep balls pops out of the back. "Oopps,Too Late Guys"

Fixed that.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can I also say that I have never seen anyone at my grassroots level call 'tackle' unless it was after the event to clarify why maul/ruck laws did not apply i.e. "only a tackle, guys". Most of us are too busy, less is usually better.