Recent content by davidlandy

1. D

[INTERNATIONAL] Barbarians v Argentina - Rucked player gets up with the ball

Around the 78m/79m mark, Argentinian bc goes to ground near his own try line, is quickly rucked over by 3 baa-baas, possibly TWOL only, then he quickly gets up with ball in hand, and play on says John Lacey! (Excellent game I thought btw). Was the he unsighted or did he call it player not held?
  2. D

WAL v SA - TWOL vs Ruck

Here's a pic from the 2017 law book to back that up: The laws don't explicitly say it's the hindmost foot of a player on their feet at that particular point in the laws, but a player on the ground is not a participant in the ruck. Participants in a ruck must be on their feet.
  3. D

WAL v SA - TWOL vs Ruck

Did anyone else notice in the WAL v SA match that TWOLs were reffed the exact same way as rucks? At least once the ref said "he'd lifted it" to justify that the rushing defence wasn't offside at a TWOL.
  4. D

NatWest 6 Nations 2018 Championship - talking points

There it is! Thank you mjmg, and Rich_NL :) I don't think the TMO wasn't shown this one at the time (assuming the live stream is what the TMO is seeing). From what I can see, the ball definitely touches green 15's hand, and given that green 15 had a lot of forward momentum it's hard to...
  5. D

NatWest 6 Nations 2018 Championship - talking points

Today's story from BBC Sport: And by some weird, almost spooky coincidence, England need both Wales and Ireland to slip up this weekend to claim 2nd place. Well how about that?!? Eddie Jones Mind-Manipulation-o-Matic (All just my 2p worth, of course.)
  6. D

Wales v Australia

Wales played abysmally, and Australia played really well - no complaints about the scoreline. There were some odd things going on though I felt... there was one conspicuous "off the feet" at the breakdown (plane landing) which wasn't called, and two collapsed mauls which were not called. And...
  7. D

[Assistant Referees] AR Calling Penalty for Offside in Open Play

(From tonight's Pro12 match TRE v CAR) Green kick ahead. Blue player #1 attempts to catch ball but it bobbles. He makes a second abortive but fails to catch it. Blue player #2, ahead of blue #1, now catches the ball. Ref doesn't see it and plays on until the next stoppage, when he notices...
  8. D

[Tackle] Tackler does not release player, player does not release ball.

Ball carrier goes to ground, tackled. Tackler does not release player, player does not release ball. Who gets pinged?
  9. D

[6N] When is a knock on not a knock on

AFAIR, there were two instances last weekend of a breakaway being called back for a knock-on when it shouldn't have been. One came off the forehead, another off the chest (and no arm involved). One was definitely Irish, possibly both? What does the team think - bad calls by the ref? There was...
  10. D

[INTERNATIONAL] France v Italy

I can't find any better video - only some stills :sad: There's also his tip tackle on Tom James, in which he landed him flat on his back (from a height). No on-field or off-field call for that one - thought it was also "dangerous" if landed on back? :confused: I was beginning to think this was...
  11. D

Warburton Red Card - IRB Directive

Watching the replays again just now, I noticed that there's no potential for hyperflexion in Clerc's case, because when he lands on the ground his head, neck, and shoulders are all in a fairly normal alignment, and his chin doesn't get pushed in towards his chest at all. The flexion is all in...
  12. D

Yes, that's true, AAC's head snaps on impact - but what I was talking about was the bit after he hits the ground, shoulder/head first. His chin then gets pushed right into his chest as far as it will go. Here it is from several different angles: Luckily Kahui didn't land smack bang on top of...
  13. D

Glad we could find common ground on that one! :hap: Are you sure about that? His neck looks like it got flexed to the maximum extension by the tackle - his chin was pushed right into his chest by the end of the tackle - and he had the weight and momentum of #13 on top of him too (though he...
  14. D

Thanks Ian, appreciated. Unfortunately that doesn't clarify things for me! :smile: Robert Burns was saying that he didn't think Tom Palmer's tackle on Dan Lydiate was a tip tackle because he was driving him backwards. To my view, TP was pretty much stationary when he tackled DL, having come...