Recent content by menace

1. menace

Do you mind wearing this mic

I would say take every opportunity you can to be mic'ed up and taped if you can get a hold of the video (regardless if both sides get it or not). You'll get more out of it for your ref development than arguably any other coaching. Not doing so is a missed opportunity to self assess your own...
  2. menace

Unofficial referee signals?

we call that the "f@cked if I know what happened there? Play on." signal. Or more politely for our english friends - "I do not know what I just saw. I'm confused what just happened. Lets do play on"
  3. menace

Orange Card

Orange - tick. Now just to find use for the purple and green cards and rainbow is sorted (probably don't need the black). ( Does a card rolodex fit in a pocket?)
  4. menace

Ruck Formation & Jackling

I think we introduce tackling at u8s here.
  5. menace

Perhaps something in that and why we don't perform so we'll anymore on the international stage. 😉 But I've also coached u8 through to u15s. And yes a staged approach works I also found kids are sponges and absorb things well. Practising those more technical aspects that differentiates our game...
  6. menace

"Not sure, but you may be overthinking it for these age groups. Firstly, you can't form a ruck and you can't jackal in u9." WTF??? If that's not occurring, then that's called rugby league?
  7. menace

Ball stripped or tackle made?

You've posed a classic 50/50 situation and therefore not surprisingly received a 50/50 split on the decision (with what image the reader has in their head). For me - when it's a 50/50 (ie it's not a clear and obvious offence) then I'd be inclined to "play on". IMO save yourself a PK and let...
  8. menace

Player in the air in-goal (Sarries v Quins)

I'm ok that you saw it different. We make a judgment on what we see and interpret...your interpretation is a little different to mine. I'm not going to die in a ditch if you deem the attacker was denied 2/3 extra steps for his goal kick and that's enough lost advantageous ground to upgrade to a...
  9. menace

I understand what you're saying..but imagine if the defender read the play better so he had other choices. Perhaps he was just outplayed? But if he chooses the 'foul play' option then he risks the consequences.
  10. menace

Perhaps contest for the ball and catch it first?
  11. menace

Crusader vs Reds

I'm more leaning towards 'obstruction'. If there is sufficient argument to say he lifted the ball and ruck is over then I think there is sufficient argument that the ball carrier "ran" into an offside player to obstruct the oppo. Law 9.5. It was material and deliberate. PK. (I wonder if RA will...
  12. menace

wait till his feet hit the ground then wrap him up (ball and all)? Not IMO. Enough black players nearby rushing in. No PT. So PK yes..but try scored so adv only. IMO. Not dangerous landing (not.landed on side.or head). So not a YC for the grasp in the air. PK restarts are for pk offences...
  13. menace

Penalty kick to touch

I think we are both in violent agreement?🤔😉
  14. menace

Penalty kick to touch

So you agree that there is no law that says you can't change PK option (unless they were going for posts or had already had a scrum). That was my point to the previous poster that would not allow them to change. Because it is silent in the law - it means they can do it. What you're...
  15. menace

Who gets the scrum after a team runs down the clock after a penalty kick?

The current kicking team is the offending team by not kicking within 60sec. But don't let it happen? If you've not managed that time, by say, letting the kicker know he has 15/20 seconds left, and then give a scrum over for not taking the kick in time...then you'll look like a real jobsworth...