Andrew Brace - 2nd test, Brisbane, Aus v Eng

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd be interested in you guys ie referees thoughts regarding Andrew Brace's positioning at time during today's test match.

ta!

didds

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd be interested in you guys ie referees thoughts regarding Andrew Brace's positioning at time during today's test match.

ta!

didds
Too close and got in the way of defending players multiple times. He also looked like he was too busy watching rucks to properly police offside lines.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Too close and got in the way of defending players multiple times. He also looked like he was too busy watching rucks to properly police offside lines.
Only defenders? Attackers ?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He's probably briedfed his ARs to take care of them
Still worth a quick look as a ref though.

I've heard from a friend who was at the match with sportsears that there was (in his opinion as a L2 ref) an excessive amount of non-required communication from the ARs to the referee in this match. Stuff like "Gold 6 was offside but is now good, back onside", which lead to clarification from the ref "Gold 6 offside?" and an initial indication of advantage before "No, he was offside but back onside now".

That sort of commentary confuses referees and (IMO) means I'm less likely to respond to a genuine call as I can't be sure if its been impactful or just a throwaway line - I've got a guy down here who will call when the wing is offside but the ball is 30m infield and they've set a pick and drive - frankly I don't care unless he's clearly impacted play. By the end of both matches I'll tune him out altogether as he doesn't respond to instructions.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I've heard from a friend who was at the match with sportsears that there was (in his opinion as a L2 ref) an excessive amount of non-required communication from the ARs to the referee in this match. Stuff like "Gold 6 was offside but is now good, back onside", which lead to clarification from the ref "Gold 6 offside?" and an initial indication of advantage before "No, he was offside but back onside now".

That sort of commentary confuses referees and (IMO) means I'm less likely to respond to a genuine call as I can't be sure if its been impactful or just a throwaway line - I've got a guy down here who will call when the wing is offside but the ball is 30m infield and they've set a pick and drive - frankly I don't care unless he's clearly impacted play. By the end of both matches I'll tune him out altogether as he doesn't respond to instructions.
That may well b the case. But if the To3 work as a real team that should not be an issue.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That may well b the case. But if the To3 work as a real team that should not be an issue.
yes, I've listened to many elite To3s and offside (unless very close to the breakdown) is generally left to the ARs. But I agree that "Gold 6 was offside but is now good, back onside" is not very helpful

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Both, but tends to be more impactful on defenders getting a clear run at the BC.
well as an example there was an occasion in the 2nd half when white 9 had to run around him to get a pass away (ie he was in the channel) , which was then under pressure from defenders, went loose and Aus ended up grabbing the loose ball and scoring from that phase of play. Id say that pretty impactful... ;-)

Critical error?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well as an example there was an occasion in the 2nd half when white 9 had to run around him to get a pass away (ie he was in the channel) , which was then under pressure from defenders, went loose and Aus ended up grabbing the loose ball and scoring from that phase of play. Id say that pretty impactful... ;-)

Critical error?
Likely a critical error. Seemed to be pulled towards the ruck all night. Might have been the talk of niggle in the lead up and someone with a rubbish mullet getting it ripped off which meant Brace got too focused on TRM rather than turn the body and watch the next phase forming.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

My ARs would get an earful if they did that. I only want a call if it's material and should be penalized. Otherwise STHU

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My ARs would get an earful if they did that. I only want a call if it's material and should be penalized. Otherwise STHU
That reminds me of a Chris White story from his early days as an international referee involving France.

His AR reported "Chris, you might like to know there is a cockerel on the field, but he is onside at the moment."