What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If the attacking team kicks the ball (punt in the air or grubber on the ground - I assume no difference here) and it does not touch a defending player, and goes out the back of the defending team's in-goal, what type of restart occurs? In-Goal dropout, 22m dropout, scrum option, something else? A citing on the relevant law would be appreciated. Thank you!

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Option: 22 Drop out or scrum where ball was kicked.

Law 21.11:

If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal from the field of play into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball line, the defending team can choose:

1. To have a drop-out anywhere on or behind the 22-metre line; or
  2. To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked.
Exception: An unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal. In these cases, the defending team restarts with a 22-metre drop-out.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Option: 22 Drop out or scrum where ball was kicked.

Law 21.11:

If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal from the field of play into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball line, the defending team can choose:

1. To have a drop-out anywhere on or behind the 22-metre line; or
  2. To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked.
Exception: An unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal. In these cases, the defending team restarts with a 22-metre drop-out.
Thank you! You're a gentleman and a scholar! I was initially looking under Law 12 for it but I guess it makes more sense under 21.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
That's for kicks from field of play, which might be what you had in mind.

I'm struggling to find the restart in law should the attacking player kick the ball dead when they are in-goal.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That's for kicks from field of play, which might be what you had in mind.

I'm struggling to find the restart in law should the attacking player kick the ball dead when they are in-goal.
Depends on who brought the ball in-goal

Defenders bring it in - 5m attacking scrum
Attackers bring it in - 22m drop out

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The question I keep being asked the most is what to do when the defenders take the ball into goal and then the attacking side knock-on, during an interception for example, or in a fumbled attempt to touch down.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The question I keep being asked the most is what to do when the defenders take the ball into goal and then the attacking side knock-on, during an interception for example, or in a fumbled attempt to touch down.
Intuitively I'd say scrum to the defending team, in line with the infringement, on the 5m since it can't occur any closer.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Intuitively I'd say scrum to the defending team, in line with the infringement, on the 5m since it can't occur any closer.
Any time the attacking side knocks on in goal, it's a GLDO. Doesn't matter who brought it or how it got there.

Balones

Post Likes
Anyone like to provide a law reference for the question I posed?:)

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Any time the attacking side knocks on in goal, it's a GLDO. Doesn't matter who brought it or how it got there.
Ah yes, the new age GLDO nowadays. Fun times.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Law 12.12c

Balones

Post Likes
This is the problem with the simplified laws. You have to look through all of them to get an answer. Under normal circumstances it seems obvious for a knock-on you’d look at the knock-on law. (11) Because it happened in-goal you could think of looking in law 21. Then again a knock-on makes you think of the scrum law. (19)
12.12c - doesn’t mention anything about who takes it in. The scrum law (19.1) just says that a knock-on is a scrum to the non-offending side in the scrum zone. No wonder there is confusion about it when it happens at community level. Hence me posing the question and why I get asked so often. Looking under restart kicks is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Depends on who brought the ball in-goal

Defenders bring it in - 5m attacking scrum
Attackers bring it in - 22m drop out
Yes
But where is that stated in the Law book?
Law 12.11 covers attempts at goal
Law 12.12 doesn't cover it (defenders make dead, or attackers knock on)
Law 19.1 only covers taken in by defenders
Law 21.11 only covers kicked through from FoP.

Balones

Post Likes
Your average supporter, player, club coach and match official just wants the information easily accessible in the law ‘book’ and not have to search the web or read the whole set if laws to get the answer to a scenario. Why can’t WR simply produce their own chart in the in-goal section of the laws. They have charts elsewhere. I think to some extent more charts with scenarios outlined would actually simplify things and actually cut down on the amount of words used.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Your average supporter, player, club coach and match official just wants the information easily accessible in the law ‘book’ and not have to search the web or read the whole set if laws to get the answer to a scenario. Why can’t WR simply produce their own chart in the in-goal section of the laws. They have charts elsewhere. I think to some extent more charts with scenarios outlined would actually simplify things and actually cut down on the amount of words used.
They should rewrite the Law book to make it simpler, being careful to try not to accidentally or deliberately change the actual meaning of the Laws 😉

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
12.12c - doesn’t mention anything about who takes it in.
Therefore that doesn't matter. Just as it doesn't matter who last handled the ball before any other KO.

Balones

Post Likes
Therefore that doesn't matter. Just as it doesn't matter who last handled the ball before any other KO.
Yes. The reason I mentioned it was because there are several (numerous?) bits of the laws dotted throughout the ‘book’ that do mention who took it in and gives different outcomes and options. For clarity‘s sake I would like the law to start, “Regardless of which team. ……etc”

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Yes
But where is that stated in the Law book?
Law 12.11 covers attempts at goal
Law 12.12 doesn't cover it (defenders make dead, or attackers knock on)
Law 19.1 only covers taken in by defenders
Law 21.11 only covers kicked through from FoP.

I think you're right... Law 21.11 probably needs expanding, but that's what I would use to make a decision for 22m DO... I can't imagine the defending team preferring to take a 5m scrum! However, some colts teams might surprise me... I've lost track how many times I've seen my son's team catch a missed penalty and punt it into touch 10m out from the try line rather than touch it down for a 22DO. :rolleyes: